Wireless Audio-Technica wireless mic popping

Hello controlbooth members,
This is my first post, but my question is this. I have 2 audio technica mics (A and B) at my church. I was using them a few weeks ago and they were working fine. About 2 or 3 weeks ago, they started popping when the cable moved. I was wondering if there was a fix to this? I did disconnect the mic from the body pack and check connections, but the problem is back today. I don't know the model of the mic or pack right now, as they are being used. I will get it after the service is over.

**15 min later**
The model number is
ATW-T310

The wire used for lavalier and head worn mics is very very light gauge. After sustained usage one or more of the conductors will begin to break usually near the connector and cause what you're hearing.

From the AT web site click on service and you will find a printable form to send the mic in for repair. I usually recommend that my customers have a spare mic just for this reason.

Second to what Bill said. The wires are very thin guage, and especially where the connectors plug into the body packs, depending on usage, can be subject to wear and tear that will lead to an untimely demise.

We have E6s that have had problems with the 1 mm wires; for that reason we always have 2-3 spare 2mm Duramax cables on hand in case of replacement.

Ok. Thanks!

My church does not have very good funds, hence why we are cutting corners, and this is one of them, sadly. I will send this in, and thank you!

Ok. Thanks!

My church does not have very good funds, hence why we are cutting corners, and this is one of them, sadly. I will send this in, and thank you!

When you get it repaired, do your best to control the amount of bending and stress that is put on the cable--especially where it connects to the body pack. Also, do your best to stress this point to whomever is wearing the mics or you may end up with the same problem again.

When you get it repaired, do your best to control the amount of bending and stress that is put on the cable--especially where it connects to the body pack. Also, do your best to stress this point to whomever is wearing the mics or you may end up with the same problem again.

Originally, I was not the one in control of sound. These mics have been here for about 10 or so years. I got into sound about 3-4 years ago (Our church had a policy, that I am violating actually, where only sophomores + would be allowed with the sound equipment, due to how expensive it was) so the problem probably started with our previous techs not noticing the stress that was being put on the cable. (In fact, I found them wrapping the mics up like this again today. Guess who got instructed to NEVER do that today!)

Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:
The shield braid has broken right where the cable enters the connector. If you are very good with soldering tiny things, the cable can be cut back and re-attached into the connector. This is fairly delicate work.

Otherwise, send the mics to your favorite sound equipment repair shop or Audio Technica for repair. It shouldn't cost much.

Yeah not only the cables but sometimes the connectors are problematic. I have worked on productions where at the end we have a pile of broken mics and not functional packs and it is not fun. The Audio Technica connectors tend to be fairly sturdy they are not like the Shure T4 connectors which I seemingly hear about breaking all of the time from the sound engeneer at our school. So try ruling it out with the mic first and then go on to the connectors which is probably less likely.

Above all, even if the wiring may not be as strong as we'd all like, remember it's imperative to teach the performers wearing the mic AND other technical crew members to take care of equipment and treat it with "kid gloves." Especially mics, it doesn't take much (sometimes it doesn't take anything) to ruin a perfectly good Countryman, or AT, or anything...

Hello controlbooth members,
This is my first post, but my question is this. I have 2 audio technica mics (A and B) at my church. I was using them a few weeks ago and they were working fine. About 2 or 3 weeks ago, they started popping when the cable moved. I was wondering if there was a fix to this? I did disconnect the mic from the body pack and check connections, but the problem is back today. I don't know the model of the mic or pack right now, as they are being used. I will get it after the service is over.

**15 min later**
The model number is
ATW-T310

I am having a similar situation with a handheld wireless mic (also Audio Technica). There seems to be a little bit of static, then a pop. Sometimes its a series of pops. It seems to be very intermittent and random as to when it happens.

Thoughts?
JVV

Unless your symptoms are different, the previous answers still apply. :) Gently flex the mic cable near the connector while listening to the mic. If you can make the pop occur that way, then it is a broken cable. If you cannot make it happen with cable movement, then it could be an RF dropout.

Since it is a Handheld wireless mic, therefore no Mic Cable, I thought it might be another issue. I have 8 of these units and the transmitter/receivers and antennas are all in the same place. Some pop, some do not.

Since it is a Handheld wireless mic, therefore no Mic Cable, I thought it might be another issue. I have 8 of these units and the transmitter/receivers and antennas are all in the same place. Some pop, some do not.

As FMEng mentioned this actually sounds like a week RF or RF inerference getting in the way of the signal from the mic transmitter to the receiver.

As FMEng mentioned this actually sounds like a week RF or RF inerference getting in the way of the signal from the mic transmitter to the receiver.

So a possible solution is getting the receivers out from backstage to a better line of sight?
We have pretty powerful aux. antennas right over the stage.

What gets me is that this is a new issue and nothing has changed in the space in two months since school let out.
JVV

Your mics may not have changed but the RF environment from outside may have changed. I suggest doing a channel study. It could be anything from a TV transmitter on or adjacent to the channel to new spectrum getting lit up by a cell phone company. Shure Wireless Workbench software seems to do a decent job and it's free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back