Automated Fixtures Automated Fixtures

Hello Control Booth community,
I am a high school student who has read the forum close to daily for about two years now. Reading posts on Control Booth is has taught me so much, so I would like to thank all of you for that.

The inventory at my school is a bit thin, but we are always trying to improve. In the past few years we were able to get two scrollers, one gobo rotator, and a power supply for these accessories. We almost were able to get two i-cues, but the school was ultimately not willing to pay for them. We have tried to use these accessories as much as possible and to their full potential. However with two scrollers and one rotator, there is only so much that we can do.

This past winter we were able to get the money for the rights to perform the musical Chicago. The nature of this show calls for quite a bit of flashy lighting, but with an inventory that just barely covers the stage with a decent wash it did not appear that we would be able to do much creatively with the lighting.

So we started looking into renting some moving lights for the performances. It was an option that was greatly considered, but our director was not sure that she could justify the cost. So we looked into buying some from China.

Yes, I am familiar with the Gafftaper method. Yes, I have read plenty of posts condemning the evils and the immorality of buying lights from China. Yes, I am aware that the general consensus of Control Booth is that buying lights like these is plain stealing because of a probable lack of R&D. I simply want to share my experience of Chinese movers.

The technical supervisor looked at some models, and emailed one company. The price that they quoted was only slightly more than we would have paid to rent MAC 500s or Studio Spot 575s during the time we needed them. I understand that MAC 500s and Studio Spot 575s are older fixtures, but these the Chinese ones we were looking at had many more features. So technical supervisor had the purchase approved, and for not much more than a rental we purchased 2 575w moving head fixtures in a flight case. We paid via Paypal and soon enough the units arrived.

I was amazed by how much the lights could do, and learned so much working with them. Now that the show is over, we still have the lights to keep, and have been using them to enhance as many school functions as possible.

When we first received the lights, only one of them would run the demo mode, the second would only work as a slave unit. The technical supervisor emailed the company, and they emailed back about a week later with a recommendation for how to fix the problem. Several weeks later, the company emailed him again to check if the problem had been resolved. Now I know that when something big goes wrong there with these units there is nowhere that will be able or willing to repair them, but unlike the rental units at least they have lasted for more than a few weeks.

So I'm sorry for this post being so long, thank you to anyone who actually reads it. I do not expect a positive response to this at all, nor do I intend this in any way as an encouragement to purchase lights from China. My goal in writing this is simply to share my experience.

If it worked for you great! Whenever you buy anything overstage, its always a your milage may vary situation. Also, given the level of show you are working with if one craps out mid show its not the end of the world... Your not going to have to fill any riders with them and they are not going to be shipped all over the country. Therefore, its not a bad idea. Glad it worked well for ya.

I wrote a better reply but then lost it and I don't have the patience to do it again
Yes, I have read plenty of posts condemning the evils and the immorality of buying lights from China. Yes, I am aware that the general consensus of Control Booth is that buying lights like these is plain stealing because of a probable lack of R&D.
I just want to interject here that we do not dislike Chinese fixtures simply because they are Chinese. It is the knock-offs that are pretty universally condemned. These companies use reverse engineering of other companies' products to create cheaper versions to undercut the originals. Most people agree this is immoral and wrong. Frquently these are made in China. However, there are many completely legit companies of varying quality in China.

More than that, though, it is about safety. These knock-offs cut corners wherever possible to keep cost low. They have to because being cheap is their sole selling point. This doesn't just affect quality and durability, though. It affects safety. These products are often not tested by standards laboratories. And this can mean huge costs (financial and heath). What do you think your schoolboard would say if one of these fixtures fell (on someone or something) and the insurance rep says, "these aren't listed for overhead use." That could lead to horrible litigation. How would that make you feel if they, heaven forbid, seriously injured someone.

-Tim

I wrote a better reply but then lost it and I don't have the patience to do it again
I just want to interject here that we do not dislike Chinese fixtures simply because they are Chinese. It is the knock-offs that are pretty universally condemned. These companies use reverse engineering of other companies' products to create cheaper versions to undercut the originals. Most people agree this is immoral and wrong. Frquently these are made in China. However, there are many completely legit companies of varying quality in China.

More than that, though, it is about safety. These knock-offs cut corners wherever possible to keep cost low. They have to because being cheap is their sole selling point. This doesn't just affect quality and durability, though. It affects safety. These products are often not tested by standards laboratories. And this can mean huge costs (financial and heath). What do you think your schoolboard would say if one of these fixtures fell (on someone or something) and the insurance rep says, "these aren't listed for overhead use." That could lead to horrible litigation. How would that make you feel if they, heaven forbid, seriously injured someone.

-Tim

Good point there as well. We are not racist (at least not me), it is that reliability and safety are not so good with things that are meant to be cheap.

Hijack: I need to give kudos to any high school student who writes such well-organized, spelled, punctuated and generally well-written posts. Keep it up.
You beat me to the kudos to a well written post. I won't really get into the good or bad of buying any type of mover on a tight budget, that has been discussed many times, but too many HS and college students come on here and can't complete a sentence. Well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back