Beginning theater Lighting equipment for High School.

We are currently in the proccess of putting on a musical. It will be the first one in many many (10 or more!) years. Our theater has been neglected because of this. The dimmer is an old auto transformer. Awhile back I thought the best idea would be to add shoebox dimmers into the circuit. I am now considering another approach. We currently have not budget ( no money) however depending on suggestions. What would you guys recommend for our theater. We have three electrics with SSRC connected to the autotransformer with striplights connected( With missing bulbs). What would be an ideal setup for us? I am just a High school student so go easy on me :). Just need some advice and direction to see if we could have a new dimmer and some new lights. SOmething so that we can do something instead of just lights on and lights off. Consider a budget of $5,000 - $20,000. What could we do?
Please consider
-Dimmer
-control board
-lights

When I get back to school. I will take a lot of pictures so that you can see our space.

Thanks for any response
Kendall

Now, is this a small addition, or a large renovation? In either case, the first thing I would suggest would be to get a consultant on board, and to also get a better idea of a budget. $5000-$20,000 is extremely broad. Also, what can you salvage? You say you have three electrics, but what type of fixtures are they, how many are their, and are they in serviceable condition? Also, where are the three electrics, are they all above the stage, or is one above the house. It would also help if you could tell us more about the theatre itself, like the dimensions of the stage, and how many seats. Do you have a flyrail, if so, when was it last serviced? Also, you didn't say anything about audio, but if the space hasn't been used in ten years, will the sound system need work? There may be a lot of stuff that needs to be done, you really NEED to get a professional on board as soon as possible. Now, if the musical has not been chosen, you may want to discuss with the director, the possibility of choosing a less technically challenging show. For example, I do not think you should attempt Les Miserables, however, Little Women, may be a good choice. If the musical has been chosen, hopefully it is not too technically challenging. Now, you say you need new dimmers, but what is the electrically situation? I assume their is not three phase power? But would it make sense for you to look into that? Probably not, but that is why you need a consultant. Also, as a word of advice, try picking one that isn't directly selling you things, I.E. "Oh yeah, you definitely need new strip lights". Please post some pictures, and try and get a better idea of your budget. $5000 means something totally different than $20,000. Also, take a look at some similar threads, they may provide good ideas, however, remember, not all building are the same, nor all situations. You made the right decision coming here!

I don't know if this a stupid question but where and how can I find a consultant. I have no connections with the world of theater except well here. :)

back in 2001 i believe my school was lucky to get a theater overhall for both of our stages (as well as our rival high-school who managed to spill coke on their light-board within the first year the dumb assess.) we got the works but it was funded from some alumni who became loaded. which is odd because my school sucks. We got the works and we have maybe 50-70 ellipsoidals, 20 something fresnels, and a grand total of 8 strips lights (none of which have been used... ever) and the grand total was about $60,000 and that for two stages (one itty bitty the other normal sized) and i can't see you walking away without spending more than 30,000$ but what do i know. i'm in a smilar boat as you.

p.s. it always makes me happy to see a fellow student working on lights.

try local theaters. ask if you can get in contact with their lighting department and ask around. but i can't see you not having to pay for an actual consultant :/

I will echo the above in that you need a consultant. This will be much more involved than just connecting some equipment and moving on with life. Power distribution will need to be looked at, and whatever products are purchased may need to be in service for 20 years or more, so making good decisions would be a very good idea. Unfortunately, I don't think much can be done even at the top-end of your budget if you're wanting to procure theatrical grade products. You could throw some cheap shoebox dimmers up there, but they probably wouldn't handle your lighting loads and that goes against my "wise purchasing decisions" advice. My advice is to try to get administration involved and see if you can apply for grants - you really need a total lighting upgrade, and probably to the tune of well over $100,000. A word of warning though - that process will last longer than the remainder of your high school career.

Have you considered renting a lighting system? That may be a more viable option for the time being.

I also agree with the notion that you shouldn't get someone in there who is in the market to sell you products. "Never ask a barber if you need a haircut".

You could do a google search, but I would call up your local theatre for a recommendation. Someone had to consult on their space. You may also want to ask who they use as their supplier.

I believe it is already too late for me as I am a senior in the second semester. Our theater has seriously been neglected by the district. The maintenance crews can;t do much other than fix a broken lightbulb and because we have not had any performances, there has really been no need for fixing anything and that is the real shame. Quick question on the fly system. How can I get it inspected would a consultant be able to do this?

I believe it is already too late for me as I am a senior in the second semester. Our theater has seriously been neglected by the district. The maintenance crews can;t do much other than fix a broken lightbulb and because we have not had any performances, there has really been no need for fixing anything and that is the real shame. Quick question on the fly system. How can I get it inspected would a consultant be able to do this?

A rigger needs to do this, but the consultant could probably hook you up with a guy. Someone on here might be able to recommend a guy as well.

Thanks guys! honestly you guys have been so much help on here I am very appreciative. Anybody know a rigger in San Francisco?

... Quick question on the fly system. How can I get it inspected would a consultant be able to do this?
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...condary-school-rigging-safety-initiative.html

As for finding a rigger in San Francisco, one can search for Certified Riggers at ETCP - The Entertainment Technician Certification Program . But be aware, just because one is ETCP-Certified, does not, necessarily, qualify that person to be a rigging inspector. But they will certainly know whom to contact in your area.

Changing over from auto-transformers will be a huge project. Doing it "right" will probably be a lot more money than $20K, likely even $200K. Bypassing the old dimmers and getting DMX spread around for shoebox dimmers is a whole other world and might fit in the range. Perhaps the district electricians can do some of the work, from a different budget!

I recommend starting with the theatrical dealers. Yes they have an interest in getting your money, as do the consultants. More than anything they are resource to use and when working on the lower price range they are the only hope. Musson Theatrical are the folks I worked with when I lived there. They can work with you directly on rentals or basic technical help. They also will know all the local consultants of various sizes and reputations and probably the rigging inspectors as well.

Getting the administration on board will be critical if anything big will happen. You will also need at least one adult to work with just to make sure you are heard.

Otherwise renting is a great idea.

Our school just renovated the aud. new lights---sound....the works. I pulled the old system: full rack of dimmers, 48 channel (A/B) light board. New and installed in 2001, really only used four times for shows, and four times a year for general lighting. (We are on our fifth musical this year) This is a Lehigh system. If you are interested I can get you pics and specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back