Mixers/Consoles Best Analog boards?

CSCTech

We are starting to look at new sound boards, and we really don't do enough shows to justify a digital console nor do we have the budget to get one.

So im wondering, what are the best brands, or even specific consoles as far as analog mixing goes? I ask because I have only ever used mini Behringer ones and some full size Mackies, I like Mackies, but that is because ive never used anything different though.

We need at least a 24 channel, anything above that would be over kill for our setup. 7 total area mics, and 10 wireless. And we have one open channel and two reserved for the other mics inputs around the theatre if needed.

We currently have a Mackie VLZ 24-4 so we are used to having two line inputs, a CD and the other is usually a 1/8'' end for ipods/laptops etc.

Im thinking, Allen & Heath or Sound Craft? But again, I don't really know.

Something with effects would be nice, and some other processing, as the current board has none, and whats the point of getting a board that does the same thing :)

We are starting to look at new sound boards, and we really don't do enough shows to justify a digital console nor do we have the budget to get one.

So im wondering, what are the best brands, or even specific consoles as far as analog mixing goes? I ask because I have only ever used mini Behringer ones and some full size Mackies, I like Mackies, but that is because ive never used anything different though.

We need at least a 24 channel, anything above that would be over kill for our setup. 7 total area mics, and 10 wireless. And we have one open channel and two reserved for the other mics inputs around the theatre if needed.

We currently have a Mackie VLZ 24-4 so we are used to having two line inputs, a CD and the other is usually a 1/8'' end for ipods/laptops etc.

Im thinking, Allen & Heath or Sound Craft? But again, I don't really know.

Something with effects would be nice, and some other processing, as the current board has none, and whats the point of getting a board that does the same thing :)

You're not going to find an analog board with effects or processing. use the search button its been talked about over a hundred times since I've been here.

Not to sound like a jerk but i have been in your shoes and while you think getting anything larger in your space would be over kill you have to think about the fact this board may need to be able to be used for 6-12 years after you buy it. There is a lot more than just looking at a board that would be nice, it takes a lot of budget planning and anything of that sizable amount of cash is going to have to go to bid and specing a specific board isn't going to get you the bids (specing what you use it for and how many channels you use currently as well as how many are planned for future use, ease of use, and reliablity/performance all come in to play.)

Its great to look into mixers but do some research actually find out what kind of thing you could use and what the budget is. I could say you should always get a VENUE board cause they are awesome consoles (digital) but most of the time that's way out of budget.

You're not going to find an analog board with effects or processing. use the search button its been talked about over a hundred times since I've been here.

Not to sound like a jerk but i have been in your shoes and while you think getting anything larger in your space would be over kill you have to think about the fact this board may need to be able to be used for 6-12 years after you buy it. There is a lot more than just looking at a board that would be nice, it takes a lot of budget planning and anything of that sizable amount of cash is going to have to go to bid and specing a specific board isn't going to get you the bids (specing what you use it for and how many channels you use currently as well as how many are planned for future use, ease of use, and reliablity/performance all come in to play.)

Its great to look into mixers but do some research actually find out what kind of thing you could use and what the budget is. I could say you should always get a VENUE board cause they are awesome consoles (digital) but most of the time that's way out of budget.

My school has an analog board, with effects (yeh very basic, but still reverb, echo, plate, delay, decay and stuff). It's the Allen & Heath ZED22FX, and personally I love it. Yes OK, its only 16 channel, but there are larger versions to suit you.

It's great to work with, simple, great quality, and great value.

There are quite a few analog consoles with some integrated effects processing and even some with some integrated dynamics processing on a limited number of channels.

In general, I would focus on what you need from the console before focusing on brands. I don't care if the console says Neve, Cadac, Midas, LCS, APB Dynasonics, etc. on it, if it doesn't work in the application then it's still a poor choice. So define what you need first, then the discussion can be about consoles that could actually work for you.

As far as inputs, think about how many actual physical inputs you have. You mentioned using 7 area mics, but do you have more than 7 mic inputs on wall plates or in floor boxes? Then add in any line level sources (playback computer, CD, iPod, etc.) remembering that many of these are stereo or multichannel sources. What about a 'God' or talkback mic? And might your needs increase before you'd want to have to replace the console?

How many and what type of aux sends do you need? Do you have returns or monitor sends for the stage? Overflow audio to other areas? Assistive Listening? Do you, or might you wan to, record off the console?

What about Groups? Do you currently use Groups or see using them? if so, how many?

Are there any constraints on the physical size? Any limits or goals in terms of cost and budget?

Allen & Heath's Zed 428 would be a nice fit for your application. MAP price is $ 1799.00

proxy.php

24 mic channels and 2 stereo inputs with four busses, USB I/O and 6 Aux sends.

You haven't mentioned as budget yet so I am going to recommend a fairly inexpensive console. Last year I bought a Peavey FX24 new for $1200 and I really like the features for the price.
proxy.php

It has 20 XLR inputs (available with 28 inputs) and 2 of the channels are switchable to stereo 1/4 inputs. There are 4 AUX sends and 2 Effects sends on each channel.

It has 2 digital effects lines with a really complete selection like reverb, delay, flange, chorus, vocal enhance, tube effects, deesser, compressor and more. These effects can be chained up to 3 effects in series too.

The stereo outputs have digital processing also. Both the Left & Right outputs have a 27 band EQ, compressor/limiter, adjustable delay and a 4 band dynamic feedback eliminator. Plus the Left/Right outputs can be put into mono crossover mode with adjustable crossover and highs come out of the left channel and lows come out of the right channel.

There is a USB thumbdrive jack and an MP3 file can be recorded from the mains outputs. There is also a regular USB jack that can be connected to a computer and used to record the mains outputs in any format that you wish.

Don't let the Peavey brand scare you, this is a really good console for the price. Here is a link to the Peavey FX Mixer page...
Peavey.com

from the sounds of it is you have filled your current 24 channel board. Just on that alone i would be looking at nothing less then 32. Do you have other groups (rentals) that use your space and might bring in say a 24 channel wireless system for a musical? Might you ever want to run 2 cd decks at once. or crossfade between Personal medial (mp3 players) with out having to unplug yoru CD/Tape/DVD deck.

you said you weren't looking at digital consoles. Is the pricing the main reason, or it is it the new learning curve for faculty staff and students? My experience has been with some of the simpler mackie boards of various sizes, and more recently a mackie VLZ24-4. My current theatre just upgraded to a Digital yamaha LS9-32 and we are loving it. It was cake to pick up the in and outs of the digital board, and i don't think i could go back :) Pricepoint might not work for you for the the yamaha though. That said the Mackie Onyx has been being put in a lot of the schools in the area recently and from friends that work tech events in those districts they seem to like that line well enough. and it some of your dynamics which many non digitial boards do not have.

with out knowing your budget or your current physical limitations of your space (number of installed audio channels and returns, it's hard to give good specific feed back for you. About the only thing i can suggest is 24 channels is not enough based on what you have disclosed. I'd only look to get a 24 channel board if your current one died and it was an emergency budget replacement, but not for an upgrade for the coming years.

The Allen & Heath GL series would be my first choice in an affordable, quality, repairable analog console. However these days I find it hard to choose analog with mixers like the O1V96 and StudioLive available.

1. I'm still in love with everything that APB Dynasonics produces.
If you can afford it they have several wonderful choices.

2. The new Peavey mixers echo those of days gone by in quality and sound.
If it's all your budget allows you won't be disappointed.

3. If the preloaded FX on the cheap Yamaha digital consoles sound good to you I suggest you get a good processor and find out what they should be.

Hi again,

thanks for responding everyone.

The only reason I say a 24 channel is because we simply don't do all that much. We use exactly 24 channels for our biggest yearly production which is a musical. This is also the only time we would ever be using all ten of our wireless mics. We could definetly use a 32 channel as long as the cost doesn't outway its features.

As for aux sends we use 2-3 for monitors or feeds for video recording.
For groups, we currently use three and don't have a need for more.

For line inputs we have a CD player and have a channel for iPods/Laptops/other 1/8'' jack playback devices.

1. I'm still in love with everything that APB Dynasonics produces.
If you can afford it they have several wonderful choices.

2. The new Peavey mixers echo those of days gone by in quality and sound.
If it's all your budget allows you won't be disappointed.

3. If the preloaded FX on the cheap Yamaha digital consoles sound good to you I suggest you get a good processor and find out what they should be.

I'll add my ditto to the APB Dynasonics as they are fantastic. There are plenty of great analog consoles out there. I have gotten some nice results with recent vintage Mackie's, even if it is popular to disrespect them.

Don't pick a console because of the inclusion of an effects processor. Outboard units are insanely affordable these days.

Hi again,

thanks for responding everyone.

The only reason I say a 24 channel is because we simply don't do all that much. We use exactly 24 channels for our biggest yearly production which is a musical. This is also the only time we would ever be using all ten of our wireless mics. We could definetly use a 32 channel as long as the cost doesn't outway its features.

As for aux sends we use 2-3 for monitors or feeds for video recording.
For groups, we currently use three and don't have a need for more.

For line inputs we have a CD player and have a channel for iPods/Laptops/other 1/8'' jack playback devices.

What if you ever want to crossfade between two CD deck,s or two ipods :) I'm a big fan of leaving my Laptop/and 2 CD decks plugged in, and not having to unplug them just to squeeze in another Mic. I also think that you might find you can better organize your inputs with a free channel in between say your vocals and your band. Do you Mic Orchrestra pits? I've actually found that if you mic orchestra pits you can actually get them to play softer and amplify them to balance with your vocals better. What if a year from now one of your channel strips dies, you still have extra with a 26 channel board :). I'm still gona restate the suggestion for a console at least one step up in additional channels then your current need:p especially talking analogue boards the cost between a A&H GL, between 24 and 36 isn't really cost prohibitive unless space management is a concern.

Thanks for the replys,

Thinking it over again, a larger console might do us some good after all. It would definetly expand the amount of inputs we can get from our orchestra for one.

My recommendations, having spent a decent amount of time on both of them would be an Allen & Heath GL series (GL2400 or GL2800) or a Soundcraft GB series (GB2/GB4/GB8). All very solid boards in the mid-range analog market. Rock solid and easy to use in all instances that I've used them, including even some older ones (like the GL2000/GL2200 which aren't made any more) that have been definitely put to the test over time.

I have a GL 2400 at work. It's a real nice console. Quiet, Clean, easy to teach on. I wish it had mute groups, but we can't have everything.

I'll second the GB4/GL2400 recommendations. Personally, I like Soundcraft products over A&H, but it's all personal preference. I have seen a huge number of GL2400's around the country in small to medium rock clubs. They get abused every day and last years and years. I used to work for a sound company that had a GB4. It traveled in a bouncy trailer, all over the region, and never gave us any problems.

Best analog boards? First thoughts are Neve, Midas Heritage, Soundcraft Series Five, PM4K, etc. -- in the "very best ever made" or "widely accepted and rider friendly" class. These are the things you see (saw) in studios and on tours.

Best for your application? My favorites are still the A&H GL series. If you can swing the GL4 (or better, GL4K), you get not only 8 mute groups, but also MIDI mute automation -- plus plenty in auxes, matrixes, groups, etc. The lower end of the GL series is dirt cheap and pretty good; especially the older ones are rock solid.

If you add in a normal amount of outboard, though, you may easily hit the price tag of a digital board. I like the Studiolive for many applications (it doesn't do automation right now) at the 3K price point for 24 channels, and at the 8K price point is the LS9/32. Both, and others, are worth consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back