Design Black Lights

Robin

Hello, all.
I'm wanting to use black lighting for "Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" at some points. I've used black lights to a limited extent in the past by putting gels in front of source fours. I'd like to do something more effective this time. We probably don't have a budget to rent anything substantial so I'm considering buying some black light fluorescent tubes, not fancy, not Wildfire, just some that I saw on Amazon.
We have 2 electrics with 3 sets of T8 fluorescent fixtures on each bar as worklights, for a total of 12 lights per electric, which are evenly spaced across the stage. They have reflectors on them.
I've read where it's recommended that the closer the black light is to actors the better. These electrics are 20'-25' pointing straight down. I might be able to lower them a little but not much. The stage is about 45' wide and I'd be satisfied if we could light 15'-20' of depth. I mainly want to light the colorful costumes in black light.
My question is, will this work pretty well if I turn everything else off, or should I go a different route?

Honestly PAR64's withR382 will work better than the tubes.

^^^ That was going to be my suggestion. The UV Wash which has a MAP of $ 149.95 will do a nice job. For your sized stage, a pair would be recommended.

At Home Depot I have seen blacklights in 13w CFL form if you want to put one in a clamp light somewhere.

At Home Depot I have seen blacklights in 13w CFL form if you want to put one in a clamp light somewhere.

If you get a 48 inch fixture and get GE BLB lamps (black light blue) it will work well, Also I agree the Elation works great, and starts up quick ( the mirrors around the cfl lamps make all the difference. I had some UV cannons that I sold but they take a while to warm up, and the wildfire units also take a while.

I would recommend that you USE WILDFIRE PAINT, the paint will make all the difference, There is the color in ordinary light/uv that is the same, there is the invisible white when dry that glows, and there is the clear when dry invisible that glows . I am in the middle of a project right now and IMHO the white invisible when dry works best. I can light a 10x30 foot backdrop from 20 feet with good results with just 2 Elation UV wash, have them on a relay pack, works great

Blue and orange work very well, green tends to be a bit light, and Red is very hard to work with (since it is on the opposite end of the spectrum)

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back