Booth Pictures :)

Its not a noob thing, Many people its just preferance but i find it much easier to control an audience's attention as well as where my lights wash with black walls instead of white.

Its not a noob thing, Many people its just preferance but i find it much easier to control an audience's attention as well as where my lights wash with black walls instead of white.

Well I guess that's not really an issue with us since we're above and behind the audience, but it makes sense I suppose. I never really thought about it.

Now I want to go paint the inside of our booth black, just for the heck of it...

ooh, Thought they meant the house. We have an open air booth..so..yeah. But our side walls are white and the rear is a wood strips with a mesh and newspapery stuff behind it as an acoustic wall.

If its a serious problem, and you cant paint the walls for whatever reason but you can hang soft goods, a scrim in front of the light booth can help cut down on distractions inside. Thats how our black box is set up, and it works really well for us. SM and LX can see out well enough to call the show, and the audience cant see in too well. FWIW, our space has been set up in a 3/4 thrust configuration for a while now, due to time constraints and labor concerns, so 2/3 of the audience used to be able to see straight into the booth.

I guess it's a bit odd to have 2 sets of booth pictures in the same thread, but I'm changing schools so I have a new booth. :)
The second and third pictures are standing at the control desk looking right and left. I think I could park a few trucks up there...

Attachments

• booth1.jpg
    booth1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,275
  • booth2.jpg
    booth2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,140
  • booth3.jpg
    booth3.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,049
I guess it's a bit odd to have 2 sets of booth pictures in the same thread, but I'm changing schools so I have a new booth. :)
The second and third pictures are standing at the control desk looking right and left. I think I could park a few trucks up there...

That is one BIG booth 0_0

Am I losing it or are you using two Express's there ?_?

Am I losing it or are you using two Express's there ?_?
You are not losing it. :)
The 24/48 is being used for conventional lights and the 48/96 is being used for movers. I'm not sure why; the 48/96 should be able to handle both, I just need to learn the Expression software! As odd as it sounds, I've never worked in a theatre with an ETC board.
Since the systems are approaching 6 years old and we have 30 movers, I'm going to start pushing for an Ion. At that point the 48/96 will go in the black box, the 24/48 will go in the lab theatre and the Smartfade will go into storage.

You are not losing it. :)
The 24/48 is being used for conventional lights and the 48/96 is being used for movers. I'm not sure why; the 48/96 should be able to handle both, I just need to learn the Expression software! As odd as it sounds, I've never worked in a theatre with an ETC board.
Since the systems are approaching 6 years old and we have 30 movers, I'm going to start pushing for an Ion. At that point the 48/96 will go in the black box, the 24/48 will go in the lab theatre and the Smartfade will go into storage.

Heh, Technically the 24/48 can do everything : p Unless the lighting op prefers having most mover control on the channel faders. But if your looking for new consoles, out with that idea if you have 30 movers.
(I just want one : ()

I think that's pretty much the size of our stage.
No exagerration.

Here is our booth, malfunctioning equipment and all! :lol: It's about 6'x8', shot from the long end of the booth; booth door is to my left. The booth is located up house left...

Here is the sound equipment:

Closeup of the console:

Last edited:
I am SO GLAD you posted a picture of your console. That is the same board we had in my high school's old theatre. They tore it down right after I graduated, and I have since tried to find out what console it was, without luck. When I was there, I wasn't as interested in the nuts and bolts of theatre, so I never paid close enough attention to what I was using.

I am SO GLAD you posted a picture of your console. That is the same board we had in my high school's old theatre. They tore it down right after I graduated, and I have since tried to find out what console it was, without luck. When I was there, I wasn't as interested in the nuts and bolts of theatre, so I never paid close enough attention to what I was using.

When I uploaded the picture a year ago, I was hoping we would soon have a newer, better console. Alas, we're still using it, ten years after we bought it new. It has issues, but it's still trucking along. The Lightronics TL 3256 has been, overall, a good board. I ran Jekyll & Hyde: the Musical on that board last fall. 128 cues (Lightronics calls them scenes, as the Fade In and Fade Out on each "scene" are considered cues, so it really has 255 cues), and had to do a few of the FTBs manually when we started running low on cue numbers... :)

Last edited:
Don't worry, I know of a stage in my area that has white walls.

It is in a senior center built by the City of Redmond around 1990.

Better than the glossy black paint in the back wall of our stage. Fire alarm right in the middle and everything. (and of course it has about 10 coats of paint over it...)

Glossy black just looks awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back