Broken Robe Color Mix 575

theatre4jc

I have been asked to look at my facility's 6 broken Robe Color Mix 575. I've yet to look at them as my plate is currently a little full but was curious what the people here may think. This is all I know about the situation at this time. Give me your thoughts if I am on the right mindset.

4 of the six Color Mix 575s were plugged into dimmers that I assume were either non-dims or parked at full. They told me the fuses kept blowing in the 4 fixtures. Every time the lights were powered on. So I immediately thought it's just because of the dimmers. Now the other 2 are directly plugged into standard circuits. (not sure if these units are 208 but if they are I would assume these are 208 circuits) These units also are constantly blowing fuses, but they will at least power on and run for a short time. Since these are not in dimmers but have the same issue but on a slower time table it makes me second guess myself for a starting point for the problem.

To my knowledge the fuses blowing is the only problem the fixtures have. Ideas, thoughts, comments? I'm not certified to repair these but have been inside quite a few automated fixtures so I have a good idea how to work on them and am not afraid to admit when I'm over my head.

definitely sounds like the units are set for a different voltage than you are sending them. Those other 2 were probably used and then changed out so they are most likely all suffering from the same problem. I would pop them open and check the tap on the xformer.

find the manual here -

http://robelighting.com/download.aspx?file=0c03c80c-2d04-4adf-b7d5-701934114bc4

page 7 in the PDF should have your answer as to the tap. Even if it has been tapped to 110v instead of 220v the fuses may still be of a value for the 220v setting.

I hope this helps. Feel free to call!

do these have magnetic ballasts? if it works for a while then blows the fuse, it could be bad PFC cap.

They only offer a single model and it is magnetic. The manual shows the necessary taps.

They are heavy but great fixtures. I used the Color Mix 250AT quite a bit and like them. I always liked the Color Mix 575AT for stage wash with Source Fours for specials and a handful (about 6 to 12) of ColorSpot 1200E AT.

FWIW I would agree with what Frank said about the power tap and setting--sounds like its a voltage issue not being correct between the fuses and transformers and your power. To note, Some fixtures will come with two different fuses to use, depending on what your power is going to be and whether you are in UK or US, but often this little setting and prep is overlooked by the end user unless its specified.

Also add this--dimmers and fuses or transformers are often not a good mix even if they are set non-dim--being that the dimmers are 'perfect' for power sometimes needed by non-theatrical equipment and often dimmers set to non-dim are done so at the console profile, and not neccersarily at the rack profile for proper hz and wave--which may lead to nom-dims being activated at 50% DMX level or some other setting or even not be set correctly. Not every dimmer (usualy the older diummers) can do 'non-dim' truly well, and I've seen transformers on disco toys or other non-theater stuff put on a 'non-dim' go up in smoke in spite of the non-dim or 'on' power setting. So if at all possible for best use you may want to ensure that your power source would be not from your dimming rack. I just went thru a weekend of insanity where I was called in because a dimmer rack and console had some profiles set improperly for the fixtures in use and console profile was set but not working correctly with the older dimmers--and control and use for powering was haphazardous at best until the problem was corrected at the racks and new power sources. If you are unfamiliar with setting dimmer profiles etc, please get someone who is able to do this properly--as you do not want to be playing around with high voltage electricity.

Finally, as a general thing to check, make sure you check the manual for the proper wiring orientation for the plug and grounding, and check to ensure the fuses being used are correct types. Its quite possible the fuses were all blown at one time, rotated around and possibly replaced with fuses that may be 'close' to what is needed by someone unknown to you, with what they had laying around which 'looked right'. Make sure you get the proper fuse that has the correct voltage AND amperage ratings as required by the mfg.. This will be listed in your manual for the correct type of fuses to use.

BE SAFE..and remember its not a bad thing to say "I have done all I can and you need someone with more experience or electrical background to do more to fix this problem."..

Feel free to report back your progress or if you have any further problems and I'm sure others here may offer more tips and things to check... Hope this is helpful..

-w

I was hoping to look into these today but I have a large Easter service at the church I work for and the load in today of rental gear took longer than expected, but I was able to get Friday off so it was worth it.

I just started at this facility last week and found ETC Seachangers plugged into dimmers set to non dim and the 4 Color Mixes on non dims as well. First thing I changed was that, second thing was over 30 blown lamps (house plot has close to 400 fixtures). I learned that I've got an uphill battle to fix all the issues of not having an LD, ME, or even a simple electrician on staff for 10 months.

Won't be able to tear into these until Wednesday. Thanks for the help and advice.

One last thing; chopped waveforms from dimmers can cause nasty "flyback" voltages in transformers and ballast coils. If this happened, you may have blown the diodes (they tend to dead short when bad) on the secondary of the power transformer, or even arced out the transformer itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back