Build my own

A couple of quick comments, I've been around a few people that have built their own PA rigs, one guy I used to work with had about a dozen tops per side + subs for outdoor shows upwards of 1000 - 1500 people, it was a nice rig and had a very good sound, the only thing I noticed was it just didn't have the effeciency of the mass produced systems.

If you're a good carpenter, go ahead and give it a shot, you're probably not going to get the same bang per watt you would get out of a commercial/pro cabinet but they are good custom built cabinets out there.

As far as the self powered stuff goes, I also have to respectfully disagree, I've heard quite a few powered Meyer rigs and they sound incredible, loud and clean. Even the less expensive weekend warrior stuff such as the QSC HPR and Mackie stuff packs quite a bunch for club & private parties.

I want to build my own mobile sound setup for gigs of 200-400 people in an open field or building setup I would like to really only spend $8,000 on the whole system and would like to build my own speaker cabs and rack system. the board would really only need 12 inputs with 4 outputs preferably XLR for mains and 1/4" for monitors, the whole setup should only really have the mixing console, a 12 input snake, 2 amplifiers one for mids/high and one for lows, idealy only 1 eq (if you can put both subs and mids/highs on the same eq, and a crossover if needed. again i only want to spend a complete max of $8,000 on the parts/system but cheeper would be better its for a weekend warrior kind of thing.

thanks,
jordan

There is a thread in the Marketplace on PSW, a system of QSC HPR active tops and subs is for sale. If you're not interested in purchasing used, still look into the HPR series. Add in a 12 ch. snake from Audiopile, and a DBX 1231 Graphic EQ, then take a look at the Yamaha 01v96 Digital Mixer.

Also, read the "Quick and Dirty Bar Rig" spreadsheet on

http://bennettprescott.com/

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, read the "Quick and Dirty Bar Rig" spreadsheet on

Bennett Prescott, Audio Industry Professional
Bennett has provided a nice summary of a typical bar band but if you read all of Jordan's posts it was clarified that no mics or sources are required and the needs seem to be less than would be typical for a bar band application. For example, the A&H PA12 noted has only 8 mono inputs, too few for most band applications (I've used more inputs than that just for a drum kit) but apparently it is all that is required for this application.

I'm not clear on the intent for the QSC amp and EQ noted as the A&H PA12 is a powered mixer with an integrated 2x500W (into 4 or 8 Ohms) amp and stereo 4 band EQ. Monitors were mentioned in the first post so maybe that intent is to use either the mixer's internal EQ and amp or the separate EQ and QSC amp for monitors using FB1 and FB2 on the mixer for the monitor sends.

i was wondering the same thing when i went back and talked to the guy. he couldn't answer the question so i am back to what i started with is, still looking for

1. unpowered and now that you mention it 12 inputs at least 6 of which be stereo
2. 2 speakers preferably passive but active would probably make it cheaper
3. if its a passive speaker set up amp to run such speakers
4. EQ
5. power distro
6. misc. stuff like snakes and such... as far as miking a drum set i don't think it would be needed inside but i can see where outside would be needed...
i guess i'm open for more suggestions since it will probably be closer to 6 mo before i have the 10k budget i am wanting for this endevor.

I'm not clear on the intent for the QSC amp and EQ noted as the A&H PA12 is a powered mixer with an integrated 2x500W (into 4 or 8 Ohms) amp and stereo 4 band EQ. Monitors were mentioned in the first post so maybe that intent is to use either the mixer's internal EQ and amp or the separate EQ and QSC amp for monitors using FB1 and FB2 on the mixer for the monitor sends.

Err Brad, the PA12 (& PA20) comes in both powered and unpowered versions. Powered versions have a -CP suffix.

Err Brad, the PA12 (& PA20) comes in both powered and unpowered versions. Powered versions have a -CP suffix.

it was the powered version, thats origionaly why i went back to the guy because it seemed rather expensive (after doing research) for the unpowered board which i asked for

I'm sorry, your original post said the best sounding systems in SOUTH DAKOTA were in high school auditoriums and my response was that I doubted the best sounding systems in SOUTH DAKOTA were in high school auditoriums. I can only respond to what you write, not what you mean.

Iunless someone is bringing in a system from out of town there is no INSTALLED sound system that sound great in the sioux falls area, this is speaking from experience so before you go and try to tell me that i have no understanding of what does and doesn't sound good as part of a sound system maybe you should first learn where the information i have dealt with comes from. .

I'm sorry, your original post said the best sounding systems in SOUTH DAKOTA were in high school auditoriums and my response was that I doubted the best sounding systems in SOUTH DAKOTA were in high school auditoriums. I can only respond to what you write, not what you mean.

well sorry for the non included information, although i was correct in how i said it. the only decent sounding systems people bring in from other states

1. unpowered and now that you mention it 12 inputs at least 6 of which be stereo
Allen & Heath Mixwiz 16:2 or 14:4:2

2. 2 speakers preferably passive but active would probably make it cheaper
QSC series as mentioned before (powered)

3. if its a passive speaker set up amp to run such speakers
if you need them, look into Crown XTi amps; the built-in processing is very handy and the resale value would be excellent.

Ashly Audio makes some good ones; dbx is okay.

Umm...do you know what you're getting yourself into with this? OR are you simply looking for a rackmounted solution that's pretty much a beefed-up power strip (think Furman)?

6. misc. stuff like snakes and such... as far as miking a drum set i don't think it would be needed inside but i can see where outside would be needed...
i guess i'm open for more suggestions since it will probably be closer to 6 mo before i have the 10k budget i am wanting for this endevor.
Check out Rapco, ProCo, Audiopile, and looked for used Whirlwind snakes.

Good luck with your deal-hunting and try to set your goals in stone before you buy anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back