Design Build or make a splat?

kokofi

So I've been looking at splats for some time now. And they look very fun and I would like to play with them. The problem is that I don't have access to any, nor do I have money enough to buy the bigger ones. What I keep seeing is that they are in fact spandex based. Would it be possible to just get large sheets of spandex and use those to cut out my own splat? (I know the quality will not be at good at all) However I would like something to replicate the kind of effect you could get off of them on my own. So is it worth is or is there some little thing that just would not compute? (LED lighting not traditional so it shouldn't need to be fireproof (so long as no traditional))
Thoughts/ Suggestions?

I see no problem with making them yourself. I once rented some from PSAV and they were nothing special. Just a piece of white spandex with knots in the corners for mono-filament line. You still want to treat them with flame retardant though. LEDs or not, it makes no difference. Plenty of other ways for soft goods to catch fire.

Last edited:
There are IFR stretch fabrics like Rose Brand's Trivera that do not need additional flame retardants.

... Just a piece of white spandex with knots in the corners for mono-filament line. ...
Even better, use a device generically known as a "tarp grip" to allow shapes other than rectangles.

One of many examples:
proxy.php

Grizz-Grip

New concept in scenery yet LED???

Someone fill me in about the concepts about so as to learn? IFR's yea, I like pre-1979 gear best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back