Cable retraction device

LPdan

I'm installing a power cable and CAT5 cable from the ceiling down to a fly bar. Traditionally there is a loop of extra cable length that allows the bar to be lowered. I'm wondering if there are any products like springs or bungees to pull that extra length up? I'm trying to keep things clear for tall set pieces.

Cable reels seem like a possibility. I specify separate for data - http://www.stageninja.com/ - and power. Depends how many circuits. Conductix-Wampfler, Hubble, and others. Where possible. Ilike usingthenin retriever position - mounting reel on batten so its notiftingthe cable but justsucking it in. That can impactbalance as the batten load increases as the weight is transferred from hanging to the reel.

Pantographs are an option, but I don't like the side-to-side motion they can induce - and again weight transfer.

I have used multiple cradles and double and triple purchased then off an arbor, so 2 or 3 swags - all over batten - that all retract in less vertical space. No significant weight transfer.

Some have made little "saddles" that sit atop of batten - like a V or half round of flat bar on a c-clamp - and the cables are caught and lie in it. No personal experience.

Another make-do I have no experience with - rope and sand bags - so the cable is lifted at several points by a free hung counterweight (sand bag) and it simply stops when it its a stop - sand bag on a deck or gallery OR cradle (line to cable attachment) against the block.

Did see a feeder cable run over blocks - like a double purchased lift line - and blocks were similar to a bicycle rim. Big many circuit feeders. Seemed like it would not wear well.

I'm sure there are more.

Cable reels seem like a possibility. I specify separate for data - http://www.stageninja.com/ - and power. Depends how many circuits. Conductix-Wampfler, Hubble, and others. Where possible. Ilike usingthenin retriever position - mounting reel on batten so its notiftingthe cable but justsucking it in. That can impactbalance as the batten load increases as the weight is transferred from hanging to the reel.

Pantographs are an option, but I don't like the side-to-side motion they can induce - and again weight transfer.

I have used multiple cradles and double and triple purchased then off an arbor, so 2 or 3 swags - all over batten - that all retract in less vertical space. No significant weight transfer.

Some have made little "saddles" that sit atop of batten - like a V or half round of flat bar on a c-clamp - and the cables are caught and lie in it. No personal experience.

Another make-do I have no experience with - rope and sand bags - so the cable is lifted at several points by a free hung counterweight (sand bag) and it simply stops when it its a stop - sand bag on a deck or gallery OR cradle (line to cable attachment) against the block.

Did see a feeder cable run over blocks - like a double purchased lift line - and blocks were similar to a bicycle rim. Big many circuit feeders. Seemed like it would not wear well.

I'm sure there are more.
@LPdan and @BillConnerFASTC
I've seen and utilized a two section pseudo pantograph; two ~15' lengths of 1.25" or 1.5" I.D. schedule 40 rigid aluminum threaded pipe hinged at the top (underside of an Orchestra lift) and bottom (concrete slab of the second level basement) with a hinged pivot at their centre point where the cables exited and entered via Hubble threaded Kellems grips and hung in an approximately 2 foot diameter open loop to avoid 180 degree flexing at a single point.
This worked EXTREMELY WELL and has been in operation for several decades.

I've also ran multi-cable around a single large block, similar to Mr. Bill's bicycle rim, and can tell you, based upon a run of several months of the Offenbach (Frankfurt) production of the the Who's rock opera 'Tommy', "It SUCKS Harry!" if you're old enough to remember Harry Chapin and the chants of some of his more ardent fans.
To be polite: I'd never again entertain employing the "large diameter sheave" method. 'nough said.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

The ampacity rating of the cable is specified in free air. What is the rating of a powered cable tightly wound on a reel?
I think that's in the reel manufacturer's catalog. Looking at one with 12 guage conductors, 2 or 3 - 20 amps; 4-6 - 16 amps; 7 or 8 - 14 amps; and 9 to 24 - 10 amps. And slot of disclaimers trying to put all responsibility on someone else. I have used them in all LED jobs where I plan and of 10 - 120 or so watt fixtures - so feel fine about it.

Back to original post, this needs an elevation drawing to know what will work. What is minimum acceptable high trim of electric batten and how much space is there above it to loft block steel? Sometimes easily solved by dead tiring feeder to a lift line about a third of the way up, then with batten 2/3 of the way to grid, the loop is all above the batten. Sounds like what you have now is a swag that starts at batten.

Or maybe in the keep-it-simple department, if you can drop your cables beside a liftline, make a few cable runners to ride along the batten and gather the extra cable as it flies out?
There's fancy ones like these for chain motors, something similar wouldn't be hard to fabricate for use on a lineset.
Do note that the 'natural' coil / dangle of your cable will play a big role in whether your cable loops 'stack up' neatly or whether you are fighting them!

I'd like to keep this as simple as possible, not looking to fabricate anything custom in this case. Do the Stage Ninja reels simply always try to retract? I've used shop type reels where once you pull the cord it stays, then you have to tug it just right to activate the retraction. Seems like that would not work well for this application.

Not mine - I simply report having seen it - just like you.
Clarifying what I posted regarding routing multi conductor cables over bicycle rim sized sheaves.
I not only saw this but installed it to spec' spec' when our shop in Canada built and supplied all automation and scenery for the German production of the Who's Rock Opera 'Tommy' in Offenbach / Frankfurt in 1995 and again for London, England's West End in 1996.
Multi cable o're large diameter sheaves: No thank you.

Cable reels installed under pit lifts for floor pocket mounted 20 Amp 120 volt stage lighting circuits, for 120 volt aisle lights, in deck mounted receptacles for musician's stand lights plus instrument power and, on separate reels; shielded multi pairs for mic and line level receptacles. NO! There are likely about a dozen still sitting below two hydraulic lifts after having been installed in 1973 and taken out of service in '76 or '77.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I've used shop type reels where once you pull the cord it stays, then you have to tug it just right to activate the retraction. Seems like that would not work well for this application.
It's been forever, but ISTR it fairly simple to remove the locking mechanism in a "cord-o-matic" type reel. Just open it up and remove the little lever-type thingy. Viola! Automatic cable page.

It's been forever, but ISTR it fairly simple to remove the locking mechanism in a "cord-o-matic" type reel. Just open it up and remove the little lever-type thingy. Viola! Automatic cable page.
I seem to think this is correct.

I'd like to keep this as simple as possible, not looking to fabricate anything custom in this case. Do the Stage Ninja reels simply always try to retract? I've used shop type reels where once you pull the cord it stays, then you have to tug it just right to activate the retraction. Seems like that would not work well for this application.
I believe you can order either way fro Stage Ninja. Call them. To best of my knowledge, they only sell direct, no dealers.

I'm installing a power cable and CAT5 cable from the ceiling down to a fly bar. Traditionally there is a loop of extra cable length that allows the bar to be lowered. I'm wondering if there are any products like springs or bungees to pull that extra length up? I'm trying to keep things clear for tall set pieces.
Use a piece of fishing line fastened to a bunny cord which is hidden above and fastened to a fixed bar etc..... using the combo works. The fishing line is pulled by the bunny cord all you need to do is place bungey up out of view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back