Cell phone jammer on the same freq as wireless mics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From www.fcc.gov:

Using the 700 MHz Band for a wireless microphone (or similar device) after June 12, 2010 could be extremely dangerous and could even be life threatening. Police and fire departments, and other public safety groups, use frequencies in the 700 MHz Band. Interference from wireless microphones can affect the ability of public safety groups to receive information over the air and respond to emergencies. Harmful interference to these communications could put you or public safety personnel in grave danger. In addition, use of your microphone can cause unlawful interference to consumer services provided using the 700 MHz Band.

Operation of wireless microphones in violation of these rules may subject the user to substantial monetary forfeitures, in rem arrest action against the offending radio equipment and criminal sanctions, including imprisonment. Because any operation in violation of these rules creates a danger of interference to important radio communications services and may subject the operator to severe penalties, this advisory emphasizes the importance of complying strictly with these legal requirements.

From commlawcenter.com:

The reason for the FCC's band-clearing effort is to make it available (and interference free) for public safety operations, as well as for providers of wireless service that have acquired the right to use portions of the band. Those failing to cease operating their 700 MHz devices are subject to fines ($10,000 is the FCC's base fine for illegal operation), arrest, and criminal sanctions, including imprisonment, as the FCC notes that "interference from wireless microphones can affect the ability of public safety groups to receive information over the air and respond to emergencies," putting "public safety personnel in grave danger." While it may be tempting to continue using 700 MHz equipment in hopes that you won't get caught, your community theater production does not want the liability of causing interference to a rescue operation by public safety personnel.

I'll keep this brief, as this thread has exploded without my tracking it...

I guess I was asking more of a hypothetical question, just about the jammers themselves, not saying I owned one or was using one. Just a "out of curiosity" thing. But...you guys believe what you want...

I guess I was asking more of a hypothetical question, just about the jammers themselves, not saying I owned one or was using one. Just a "out of curiosity" thing. But...you guys believe what you want...
As I've seen time and time again in forums, if something is asked just out of curiosity or as a hypothetical it's best to make that clear, otherwise expect it to be interpreted it as having been serious and an indication of your intent.

I personally believe that many groups still using 700MHz wireless microphones on the basis that they can't afford to replace them are overlooking the eventual 'cost' of setting an example that knowingly breaking the law is okay if it benefits you.

Well.....

So the facility I work at has REFUSED to replace their 700Mhz gear. Cell phone visibly and audibly interfere with this range (LITERALLY, I CAN SEE RF BARS during a call). So, if I get a cell phone jammer, will it block just the cells, or will it screw up my mics too??

Jammers is Jammers. They don't care what they are jamming. They just jam. 700mHz is 700mHz, it blocks everything regardless of what it is.

Jammers is Jammers. They don't care what they are jamming. They just jam. 700mHz is 700mHz, it blocks everything regardless of what it is.

Not to harp, but it's 700MHz that's being discussed here, not 700mHz. The devil's in the details, and the notation in this case.

Strictly speaking (by IUPAC) (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry), kilowatt is kW. But I can find numerous texts that use kw. (For some reason, Joule and Newton, get caps for their units [J and N], but for some reason, Watt gets dissed and is often lower case.)

For kilowatt-hours, I’ve seen just about all the combinations: kwh, kWh, kw-hr, KWH. All are generally acceptable and most importantly understood and not ambiguous. More importantly, when abbreviations appear in documents, they are usually defined somewhere in the document. (Although in some cases, the reader and writer have the same knowledge and background, and the abbreviation definition may get left out by the writer.)

The case-convention of prefixes by IUPAC, however, must be used. Offhand, I think “m” and “M” are the only duplicate letters. Context means a lot but an errant “m” for an “M” could leave the reader wondering if the writer meant “k”.

In some industries (petroleum and fuels), “M” means “1,000” and “MM” means “1,000,000”. In wastewater, MGD or mgd is million gallons per day. Again, context is everything.

Joe

SI prefix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Y, Z, P, M are all duplicated on the the other end of the SI prefix scale. With non-duplicated prefixes, capitalization is forgivable, such as K vs. k. But m vs. M is one that should not be confused.

BTW, the symbol for watts is W, not w. KW is acceptable, though not preferred IMO, while kw just makes you look unprofessional to me. kW is correct.

Here's an interesting one to add to the debate--
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

YouTube - PCE TV Episode #4 "Wireless Microphones in 700 MHZ" . Shure rep basically says nothing will happen other than 700MHz not working and possibly getting cease and desist orders...

Not voicing any opinion: just saw this online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an interesting one to add to the debate--
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

YouTube - PCE TV Episode #4 "Wireless Microphones in 700 MHZ" . Shure rep basically says nothing will happen other than 700MHz not working and possibly getting cease and desist orders...

Not voicing any opinion: just saw this online.

Just what we need the manufacturers saying right now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Shure rep basically says nothing will happen other than 700MHz not working and possibly getting cease and desist orders...
Perhaps some clarification as the reference to Criss being the "Shure rep" may be misunderstood by many. Criss Niemann is an independent manufacturer's rep and as such the link between several manufacturers, in his case including Shure, and numerous local dealers, contractors and consultants. So his comments represent the views of his company Audio Geer and not those of Shure.

I think that some of his comments are a bit misleading. It is true that the FCC does not have 'police', however field offices of the FCC have the ability to, and sometimes do, monitor, locate and measure transmissions. This is especially true if anyone files a complaint. There is also the aspect with the 700MHz spectrum that some local 'first responder' and life safety organizations are being active in verifying that their frequencies are clear, so a complaint regarding those frequencies may not be uncommon. Also, while the initial result of a valid complaint may indeed be a 'cease and desist' letter, failure to immediately cease operations after receiving such a letter can escalate into large fines.

Anonymous067, I will give you the benefit of the doubt that your just exploring for curiosity. I understand the need to work with what you got, within the limits set by the people in charge.

However, in this case (as made very clear above), the law supersedes your superiors in their statements to stick with it. Depending on where you are and what surrounds your facility is going to determine your risk. Say you did either option, run the mics or jam, and you interfered with an emergency communication you are going to be in it deep.

I am not just talking about radio communications and FCC intervention alone in this circumstance. Like mentioned earlier in the post, say you have a doctor or a first responder who cannot receive a call on their mobile or you have a police officer around the block who doesn't receive communication, and the result of these scenarios is the loss of a life, the person in charge of your venue and YOU will be liable in both criminal and civil court. If "John Smith's" mother dies because she could not get help, John is going to sue your organization, the financiers of the organization, and the individuals (like yourself) who knowingly disobeyed the law.

Of course this is a worst case scenario, but is it truly worth the risk? If you feel so, than change the name of John Smith to your own and what would you do then?

My words of advice in your scenario, stop all use of the system and spend your time researching ways to convince your leaders that it is in the best interest of the organization and the public to invest in an alternate plan. If your direct supervisor doesn't listen, you need to escalate and remove your hands as a contributor to the problem.

Likely not what you want to hear, but we are here to help you make the best decision with the information you provide. Good luck!

We are here to help you make the best decision with the information you provide.

Now there's a great quote. Very applicable to many conversations on CB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back