Design Church Lighting- "Pop" Ideas

jmac

Have been given task of coming up with ideas to make the church platform area lighting "Pop" a bit more...

The platform area is set into the front corner of the sanctuary, with the front edge of platform a quarter circle of about 20' radius. (Picture a quarter piece of pie, with the edge of crust towards the house).

Here's what we have now:

There are four 15' vertical box trusses, two on each stage wall, about 10' apart. These are connected at top with horizontal truss about 15' high. The horizontals run from up corner, out about 15' along wall. Each horizontal truss has three S4-36 back lights.

Just past edge of stage is a curved truss following the circumference of the stage. with six S4-36/50's front lights.

Then going out over the house in spoke formation from the curved truss are four triangle trusses, each about 30' long. The outer two are about 5' in from the walls, with the other two spaced equally between. The two inners each have two S4-26 front lights. Then there are four MAC 250 Entours, one per spoke truss.

The MAC's are now primarily used to throw two slow moving patterns on each stage wall ( the 10' wide by 15' high areas between vertical trusses). And for occasional specials, and house lighting bounced off ceiling.

The S4's are all no color, or some look to have a basic amber filter.

Also, the spoke trusses each have a little LED bullet shaped fixture (Chauvet Colorado?) at stage end, functioning as a mediocre truss warmer. There are also ten other LED block shaped lights that throw color along the house ceiling, basically matching the mover color.

Console is a Jands Vista S3. Right now there are no spare dimmers available.

I think the consensus is some people are a little bored with the MAC moving patterns and want some more options, some more color, and more "punch" somehow.

I come from low-end theater background, with little to no experience with movers and LED's, so I hope to learn something here...

Someone just ordered a Chauvet Color Dash Quad and ColorPalette to play with throwing colors on the stage walls, as possible alternatives to the movers.. Good idea??

My only thoughts so far are to add some kind of LED fixture at top and bottom of each vertical truss, and maybe at ends of horizontal trusses and maybe 4-6 more on the curved front truss. This would provide for different color "frames" which we don't have now. Fixture recommendations..?? (The ones we have now seem a little weak).

Are the Chauvet samples we have good choices (not looking for high end budget), for coloring the walls, and would they be better on floor or mounted up on the horizontal trusses? Truss mounting would keep them out of the way better.

Add scrollers or other color changing option for the S4 back lights?

Other possible uses for the movers?

Other ideas..??

Thanks!

Do you guys have a worship band? If so, is it an upbeat rock style, or more classical style? If you are lighting for worship, rather than just the sermon, it can make a lot of difference where you want to place your lights.

As for making it "pop" more, LED strips are really good for getting lots of color for a limited budget. You could line the vertical trusses with some strips or tubes, or you could put them along the top back trusses.

Also, if you could post a picture of the venue it might help get some ideas going.

Pictures would help a whole lot here. I've got a decent mental image of your truss configuration, but not how that actually applies to the overall look of the room. One thing we did at my church was add wall washes with vertical up lights. By varying the colors of these we can completely change the mood of the room. These added fixtures are Mega-lite Color Cannons, which I can highly recommend. We also have 4 Mega-lite Axis LED's. These are basically larger color cannons on a moving yoke. We use them for our more contemporary services to add a color wash to the stage. Since we have live IMAG, our key light is S4 750W. These easily wash out the Axis LED color wash, but the color wash, especially the shades of blue, cut in under the S4 wash very well. This adds just enough "Pop" to change the look.

Yes, the lighting is primarily for worship band, which could just be acoustic guitars, but often have electric guitar and bass, keyboard and drums, plus vocals..

I'll try to get some photos today or tomorrow. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back