The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Clean Floor Pockets?

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by EWCguy, Apr 15, 2019.

1. EWCguy

EWCguy Member

Our stage has four floor pockets, each with three 2PG circuits. Over winter break, Maintenance hires in someone to buff and often paint the stage. Of course, no one ever thinks to mention that the floor pocket cover should not be painted (again) and I have to pry the covers open to be used. In a similar vein, the custodial staff often pushes the dry or wet floor mop right over these pockets, so I also have to scrape and vacuum them out so they are usable.

What measures do you take to prevent paint, dust, water, etc. from affecting your floor pockets?

Here's a couple photos:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xw2XcsOudyXUooBaCWqsLeqQvypr4qfM/view
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VDVtI3LJVYmwfqXjcBRGT4tpi7wvijW0/view

I clearly need to request replacement of one socket.

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

I'd keep them covered at all times except when their circuits are actually needed. Could be hard: a square of 1/8 or 1/4 maso/mdf, or soft: rubber matting, taped on all four sides. At a minimum, tape the lid's seams--20¢ of gaffers tape saves a lot of aggravation later.

macsound, Dionysus and RonHebbard like this.
  3. SteveB

SteveB Well-Known Member

We’ve 8, we keep them covered with old squares of ex Marley dance floor.

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Technical Director
    +1 for dance floor scraps.

macsound, RickR and RonHebbard like this.
  5. JonCarter

JonCarter Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    We used to clean & paint our own floor -- never had a problem.

RickR and RonHebbard like this.
  6. John Scrip

John Scrip Member

Same here. That said - We tend to maintain those pockets fairly often. They can certainly get nasty when we don't.

RonHebbard likes this.
  7. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
    In planning and design of facility, I try to avoid using them. Seen too many filled with water, gunk, and glitter.

macsound and RonHebbard like this.
  8. Ancient Engineer

Ancient Engineer Well-Known Member

Sounds and Screens at America's roller coast.
    Marley scraps, or tall traffic cones. We DS'ed traffic cones over one set at a theater because the night cleaning staff simply moved the cones away, flood mopped the floor and put the cones back.

We had a nastygram the next morning explaining that if we wanted the floor cleaned by the night staff we'd have to un-screw those cones.

We had a good conversation that afternoon with the night cleaning contractor who had no idea... (Thanks theater management)

RonHebbard likes this.
  9. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

Ours have cast lids; I can't imagine they wouldn't be stronger than the paint... though we also paint our own floor.

RonHebbard likes this.
  10. NickVon

NickVon Well-Known Member

Having them mounted back wall/ or back of proscenium left and right seems just as piratical (more so) then floor pockets specifically. The couple HS stages I worked out don't do much stage deck maintenance beyond the general sweeping, so it's usually just dust crud that as easily vacuumed out with a shop vac. Maybe if you really need circuits for a mid stage boom SL and SR 2 pockets would be nice. But then I'd maybe just plan to add 6 extra circuits to what ever your mid stage electric would be and bring them from their. Or the pockets should be recces ed below whatever Maso/decking the deck would be; so that in addition to the cast iron/steal flip cover one could easily drop in a piece of maso/plywood/marley and tape the floor pocket closed and level? Vacuum formed plastic cover to sit over the outlets on the inside when not in use?

RonHebbard likes this.
  11. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
    I usually have overhead access - catwalks or occasionally a walk on gridiron - so plan for drops for booms or ladders.

Sean and RonHebbard like this.
  12. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Technical Director
    Agreed, wall mounts plus drop boxes do nicely most of the time. I have floor pockets at midstage L and R which aren't where a boom ever wants to be - dropping down is more flexible. But, I also have a pocket on center line about 8' from the upstage wall and while I only use it every 3rd or 4th show, when I do it can be a big problem solver. Big chunks of scenery tend to land in that vicinity and need power without cable runs on the deck or dropping down in view.

The other little irritation with our pockets is they're not quite flush with the deck and definitely of lesser load capacity, and they're located in some of the most convenient paths for lift and pallet jack traffic.

RonHebbard likes this.
  13. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

Storing unwired spare male plugs in every unused female floor circuit helps as far as keeping the socket contacts clean but does nothing for keeping water et al from entering and accumulating in the pockets themselves. One venue's floor pockets wisely had drains in them with mop water periodically raining in the trap room below. This wasn't appreciated by musicians expanding their orchestra pit up stage into the trap room. (The A.F. of M. got pretty uppity about the pockets raining unexpectedly on the tymps and marimba.)
    Toodleoo!
    Ron Hebbard

14. FMEng

FMEng Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Since the painting ritual is known to take place over winter break, cover them with painters tape beforehand.

The rest of the time, most of the gunk is getting in through the cable openings. Keep the openings covered with gaff tape when they aren't in use. If you never need the lid to close when they are in use, consider closing off the cable openings permanently. Epoxy a piece of flat bar stock to the under side of the lid.

RonHebbard likes this.