Clearcom portable base station plug?

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
Crawling around the pit of my new theater I found this. Is this for a clearcom portable base station? Is there an adapter to use it with a normal beltpack?
IMG_20131223_125819.jpg

I agree it's not the standard symmetrical 6 pin Clearcom plug, it appears to be the Neutrik plug in the lower picture. All my intercom gear is Clearcom and there's no portable station that I have seen. There's a lighting network 5 pin DMX jack about a foot away, plus every other outlet in the theater is wired 5 pin DMX and labeled "lighting network". So I find that really unlikely. The other odd thing is the white plastic plate itself. You can see in the picture that the bottom of the plate is oddly cut. In person it looks like even more of a homebrew job... in a two year old building. All of the intercom, mic, monitor, and lighting network plates in the rest of the theater are brushed black metal. Only the data ports have a white plastic cover.

Checking with the band teacher is a good idea. The pit is fairly worthless. It's about 35' wide and probably 6' across at center and tapering to about 3' on the sides. Best of all it's level to the floor so the people in the front row have to look over the heads of the orchestra to see the stage. I doubt we will ever use it.

This theater is just one huge mystery and no one knows how anything is wired. So far it's a daily adventure in studying blueprints and snooping around in dark corners. It's a blast!

This theater is just one huge mystery and no one knows how anything is wired. So far it's a daily adventure in studying blueprints and snooping around in dark corners. It's a blast!

After almost 2 years here I am still finding stuff. It makes a crappy day turn great when you get to fiddle with new things.

At least you got worklights installed and didn't need to file a grant to receive them.
You must have discovered that there aren't connections to power and data were one would want them and that you don't have a key to every door that you would need.

We have a winner! Up in the booth I have one of these...
and under the desk there's one of these... Thanks for the help! ...
Well that's peculiar, as the product specification for the Unison Paradigm Portable Touchscreen Stations state "6-pin Amphenol connector", which I took to mean a locking 6-pin DIN- or CPC-style connector, non-XLR, similar to all other Unison remotes.

But didn't I suggest in post#3 above, that it might have something to do with your lighting system?
Other mysteries include why such a substandard plate and P-Touch labeling from ETC.
... The other odd thing is the white plastic plate itself. You can see in the picture that the bottom of the plate is oddly cut. In person it looks like even more of a homebrew job...
As far as wiring and documentation goes, wouldn't ETC have drawings on file?

A two-year old facility with LightPaletteVL, Paradigm architectural, and Sensor+(?) dimmers?

That looks like a Strand Vision Net touchscreen; not one of ETC's Paradigm touchscreens.

Best,
John

Answering the BatSignal from DL:
That looks like a Strand Vision Net touchscreen; not one of ETC's Paradigm touchscreens.
Agreed. This is not an ETC Paradigm touchscreen nor do we currently use the 6 pin connector pictured. In older ETC systems, we did use the connector for our RFU stations and devices as well as the ETCLink connections in Sensor systems. In some extremely custom systems, we can use this connector for other devices, but we tend to shy away from it to avoid confusion with compatibility with RFU and ETCLink.

I would say that your system is likely a Strand install rather than an ETC install and as such we are unlikely to have drawings. If you PM me your location, I will be happy to look for what (if anything) we have on file when I am back in the office after the New Year.

Sorry for the confusion--I was led astray by post#8.

Given the new information, the lack of professional faceplates appears par for the course.

Sorry, it's an all Strand system (Pallete VL, CD80's, Vision Net). I thought that was oblivious by the Strand Logo on the touchscreen in the picture above and got cute with my post... except I didn't notice it was washed out by the flash of my camera. See that white Rectangle? Imagine it saying Strand.

And in a box in a dark corner, above the booth I found this... Apparently, somewhere there is a special cable for music stand lights. I found some specially labeled twist lock plugs under the pit cover. That's a nice oak box!
IMG_20131226_142546771.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back