colortran historical piece

David Ashton

Last edited by a moderator:
down in the patent it talks about the earlier system called Garnelite Converter which was an AC Version. made by J G McAlister of Hollywood in the 1960's

Sharyn

I nominate Derek to buy it and conduct experiments on it to see if it really works.

What would something like that do to the life of a lamp?

End it ! ;)

Looks like a transformer to me. Could also contain a rectifier and produce DC, which would make for a pretty cool flash-out arc when the lamp goes!

The claims seam a little.. ah... unrealistic. Only one way I know to make a lamp brighter and that's crank up the voltage! Might work with old incandescent lamps but I wouldn't connect it to anything modern.

Thanks for the link. Interesting.

Should work assuming what’s presenting is accurate which for the most part sounds correct for its day in tech or understanding. Don’t put it on a 115v lamp, bump the fixture or expect similar lamp life. (Read the entire thing and it was longer than my normal post.)

Except that for the most part low voltage Stage & Studio and most quality architectural lamps do not have a problem with dimming these days, nor do they have a problem with series wired circuits in dimming. Minor detail in the low voltage lamps of today are mostly improved and don’t have the dimming cited problem possibly if not by way of filament improvements or gas changes by double crimping the bases. Normally what happens in the case of a low voltage lamp that’s dimmed is the same that happens with a moving light HMI type lamp when not supplied proper power to operate. The gasses within the lamp etch away at the coolest parts of the lamp - normally the pinch or fill pinch until they find a hole while operating at lower heat. On either lamp, if not burned too long on a dimmer persay, they should function properly again for the most part with only slight loss. If burned for a time in such conditions there will be loss in tungsten spent which will not come back and also stick to the walls of the lamp.

In the case of a low voltage halogen filament lamp it’s noted that you can dim the lamp as normally only the halogen gas will not get hot enough to re-deposit tungsten on the filament and instead such a lamp will act as per a normal incandescent lamp. Once the spent particles of tungsten are on the outer globe of the filament they tend to stay or stain there and could also reflect light in overheating the lamp to some extent as a concept though no doubt not to a large extent at the center hottest part of the globe in light still getting out.

Unless the lamp has a dichroic coating to it to boost it’s temperature while dimmed, the above older lamp halogen gas within it might not get warm enough to operate on a low voltage lamp (typically 64VAC or less is considered low voltage.) Add that dichroic coating on the other hand and the lamp will either overheat or have a short lamp life. Only lamps I know of or believe I know of with a dichroic coating is a DYS lamp and a few PAR 36 ACL lamps most discontinued at this point. All are 120v and their lamp life is very short indeed but color temperature is on the other hand very high. Don’t know of any low voltage dichroic coated lamp capsules but again with the not designed for dimming when designed or most I think improved low voltage lamps no longer have a large problem with dimming and need such a coating.

140VAC supply voltage in design for 120v rated lamps for instance sounds nearly correct on the other hand in the design factor I remember for them and one would not want to be using a modern 115v lamp with such a contraption:

On the other hand: The effect of voltage on the light output of a lamp is ±1% voltage over the rated amount stamped on the lamp, gives 3.1/2% more light or Lumens output but decreases the life by 13% and vise a versa.
Do not operate quartz Projection lamps at over 110% of their design voltage as rupture might occur. GE Projection, Ibid p13
(This might be for low voltage lamps on the other hand in me remembering a 140v for 120v lamps in general line lamps. On the other hand it could also be the case for stage and studio type lamps.)

It would seem a 132V lamp would be more correct for a 120v stamped lamp and 140v is a wee bit over the proper operating voltage but possibly within design factor margin (just don’t bump it.) On the other hand if what they present about DC voltage is correct, it could be absolutely correct that 140VDC is ok in concept in theory. (Moot point as this point given this is about line voltage lamps and past technology.)

But to support this more or less if 140VDC is correct:
Voltage, A measurement of the electromotive force in an electrical circuit or device expressed in volts. Voltage can be thought of as being analogous to the pressure in a waterline. The effect of voltage on a lamp will cause a significant change in lamp performance. For any particular lamp, light output varies by a factor of 3.6 times and life varies inversely by a factor of 12 times any percentage variation in supply. For every 1% more in change in supply voltage light output will rise by 3.6% and lamp life will be reduced by 12%. This applies to both DC and AC current. Most standard line voltage lamps are offered at 130v. Since most line voltage power is applied at 120volts, the result is a slight under voltaging of the filament. The effect of this is substantially enhanced lifehours, protection from voltage spikes and energy cost savings. - GE Spectrum Catalog ???

A 5% change in the voltage applied to the lamp results in
-Halving or doubling the lamp life
-a 15% change in luminous flux
-an 8% change in power
-a 3% change in current
-a 2% change in color temperature (0.4% change per1% voltage.)
Osram Technology and Application Tungsten halogen Low Voltage Lamps Photo Optics, p.21

Note the 0.4% change in color temperature per 1% of voltage applied to it as a figure while both references above a by far different in scope of change when voltage is involved. (Also that GE says that it don’t matter if AC or DC power)

A filament lamp depending on what manual is referenced is somewhere between 3,500°K and 3,655°K as a absolute maximum. After that color temperature the filament melts down in being related to heat. Consider a voltage spike or higher than 120v supply power in this. The closer to that higher color temperature you get, the shorter the lamp life no matter how much you as per a three legged chair say reduce luminous output (if possible) to compensate for retaining some lamp life given an amperage. This in adjusting the doping (mixture of metals) in the filament for more color temperature, lamp life but less output.

From both GE Spectrum and Osram lamp manuals also:
Tungsten filaments change electrical energy to radiant energy. The light generated results from the filament being resistance heated to a temperature high enough to produce visible light. Filaments can not be operated in air see seal and vacuum. Tungsten is used for the filaments because of its low rate of evaporation at temperatures of incandescence and its high melting point 3,655°K. There are grades of tungsten purity and different grain structures. Only the highest grade of an elongated grain structure guarantees maximum life and reliability during shock and vibration. Heat treatment of the tungsten filaments is one of the most critical factors in lamp manufacturing.. Proper heat treatment prevents filament sag, abnormal coil shorting or premature breakage. (GE Spectrum)

Halogen Lamps are tungsten fliament incandescent lamps filled with an inert gas (usually krypton or xenon to insulate the filament and decrease heat losses) to which a trace of halogen vapor (bromine) has been added. Tungsten vaporized from the filament wire is intercepted by the halogen gas before it reaches the wall of the bulb, and is returned to the filament. Therefore, the glass bulb stays clean and the light output remains constant over the entire life of the lamp. (p33, Sylvania Lamp & Ballast Product Catalog 2002)

On the other hand I would be suspicious of their 140VDC improved lamp life statistics and or sampling profile given these points:

First simply put, the halogen effect redeposits spent particles of tungsten onto the hottest part of the filament as carried by the gasses in circulating during the heating/cooling process. If DC powered, the center of the filament is no longer the hottest part of the resistor, it’s the first segment of that filament would now be hottest which would get most of the redeposit. Some obviously would get spread across the filament if hot enough to produce light but it just as with AC lamps they normally fail from the ends, it should be the same case here based on depositing the tungsten onto the hottest part of the lamp. The return side of the filament would not get an equal depositing of tungsten on it and tend to wear quicker than the hot side in failing at times especially with shock than a standard AC lamp. Such lamps could with a bump get thrown out of a test sample in being more than the 10% of the sampling given they were bumped, or given bench testing not be seen in sufficient quantities to effect the sampling.

This and the below that’s probably related:

I believe this is from the GE Spectrum or Low Voltage Lamp Catalogue -
DC voltage can reduce life by approximately 50% to 70% due to the “sawtooth” or notching effect. Notching, also known as electromigration, is a change in the molecular structure of tungsten due to the DC voltage. The results are hot spots that accelerate the thermal conditions, the evaporation rate and embrittlement. DC voltage operation is not recommended for filament lamps.

Also, I believe from the same reference about shock and vibration:
The best filament design for use in a shock and vibration environment is a low voltage, high amperage filament. This represents a short, thick filament. The higher you go in voltage, the longer the filament, which then necessitates the use of hangers. The hangers will increase the higher voltage filament reliability, but the effects of notching due to the soret effect are increased. Orientation of the filament in relationship to the axis of vibration will also affect the lamp performance in a shock and vibration environment. The most critical consideration in protecting a lamp against the effects of shock and vibration is the packaging by the user. Filament damage, due to shock and vibration, can be reduces or amplified by the way the lamp has been assembled into the user’s product.

So in theory the DC voltage supply voltage booster should work fine as a concept in theory. That that it is is not currently still made or copied probably says on the other hand that it worked as a concept but bump the fixture and or you get in general more lamp failures in general. Not sure about improving the efficiency of the lamp for other than a short period of time but they do say that the lamp won’t last as long so that’s probably accurate. Not gonna blow up and probably the lamps should last a production or two but in optimizing output if this does it you do not optimize the dependability or lamp life. If big budget for lamp replacement and needing to go to “11" for output, sure this might help assuming you could not go higher in wattage or lamp down the show to have that higher wattage ceiling and after that if needed color correct.

Last edited:
So then I nominate Ship to buy it and test it! :mrgreen:

So then I nominate Ship to buy it and test it! :mrgreen:

I'll test it you either deal with Wifie in alrady already over budget for the week in having insulated for the winter "the guy zone garage" or buy it for me better yet.

Asked an upper rep at Osram about such a concept, here was his response:

Well… I didn't read the whole thing as I don't have the time, but this is wrong: In the late 1960s, a new type of lamp known as "HMI" (referring to halogen, mercury and iodine) was developed and first introduced in Europe.

HMI stands for Mercury (Hg), Mittelbogen (German for Medium, describing the arc gap), and Iodides (meaning the earth metals in the gas that give it the daylight characteristics).

DC doesn't work well with TH lamps as it completely screws with the Halogen Cycle and causes the tungsten to evaporate from one area and be redeposited to another leading to early coil failure.

Ah' a tech person and TD in a former life at hart in being a great source.

On the other hand, while totally about another eight hour day of inspecting moving light lamps under a magnifying glass and tracking what caused them to fail not just under one but two computer programs at like five minutes per lamp and only like in doing well, like 300 more lamps to go before I get the next shipment or use in shop.. Lots of time to think of stuff just as with 20 min of time spent on a Soco cable, lots of time to wonder about what to improve = this when I repaired them as opposed to in having a few assistants to fix it for me while I fly a desk.

Anyway, lots of time at work to theorize in general about problems be it lamp plug, wiring or should I get time to tinker with special or unique or old project my guys do not get to tinker with until i'm board. It's good to be the king. This especially if learning stuff that might help furture pojects.

Last edited:
I'll test it you either deal with Wifie in alrady already over budget for the week in having insulated for the winter "the guy zone garage" or buy it for me better yet.

In that case, I nominate dvsDave to use his vast personal fortune accumulated to buy it and send it to you! It could be the first official CB product review. It's a tax write off Dave! :mrgreen:

Still think it will turn your lamp into an expensive flashbulb! :idea:

So I bought it and will arrange to get it sent to Ship, since I think we all agree he is the most qualified to test it out
Sharyn

Very interesting bit of history and technology, no doubt about it. Our electrical engineer and all-around whiz would probably love to hook this gizmo to his scopes and other stuff I can't pronounce, but post-LDI business has each of us behind just a tad.

CB needs you!

As said above, SharynF purchased this piece of goodness. She offered it to Ship, but the lamp king, says he isn't the electronics wizard needed to test this piece of gold. If you have the knowledge and equipment to be the one to figure out if and how this bad boy works, send a PM (with an explanation of why you are qualified) to either Sharynf and/or myself.

Note: It was offered to Kelite and his Apollo buddies but as you see above they are a bit too busy to be messing around with it right now.

Hey, I do lamps and old or custom fixtures for a living. Will play test it, I just don't want to be stuck with it. It will work I think as a concept and can make time or my guys would love such a thing to do but I'm not electoronics based and others would be better to test the turd.

If wanted, I can play test it but will be sending it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back