Automated Fixtures Comments on HES X.Spot Xtreme

pacman

Can anyone comment on pros/cons on the High End Systems X.Spot Xtreme (2:1)? I know it is a 10 year old fixture and discontinued, so those are already in the cons column. I wouldn't normally consider them, but they are available on the used market at a really good price. How do they compare in brightness and noise to VL2500s? Thanks.

I just left college where we had five or six(both 2:1 and 4:1) in stock. To put it briefly, there's a reason they're so cheap...

They have a good feature set(CMY, CTB, CTO, 3 rotating gobo wheels, iris) for the price(~$1500 used), but they're not the sturdiest unit and definitely not the brightest. The 4:1's sometimes had trouble competing with our 575w S4 inventory- open white was fine, but roll much color in and it could get lots. the 2:1'a performed a little better, but neither would compare to a VL2500, I don't think. Noise wasn't a problem for us, but we had them fairly far from the audience and we weren't doing any obscenely fast moves.

Repairs are fairly easy when they need to be made, but parts are becoming expensive. There are certain situations where it's almost more cost effective to pick up a new unit than to repair...

I just left college where we had five or six(both 2:1 and 4:1) in stock. To put it briefly, there's a reason they're so cheap...

They have a good feature set(CMY, CTB, CTO, 3 rotating gobo wheels, iris) for the price(~$1500 used), but they're not the sturdiest unit and definitely not the brightest. The 4:1's sometimes had trouble competing with our 575w S4 inventory- open white was fine, but roll much color in and it could get lots. the 2:1'a performed a little better, but neither would compare to a VL2500, I don't think. Noise wasn't a problem for us, but we had them fairly far from the audience and we weren't doing any obscenely fast moves.

Repairs are fairly easy when they need to be made, but parts are becoming expensive. There are certain situations where it's almost more cost effective to pick up a new unit than to repair...

Thanks for the info. I've seen them for $1,195, so the price is tempting, but you'd know there's a reason.

Parts are about the same as any other fixture. When logic boards fail you can get them repaired at Highend or light parts for about 300, sometimes less depending upon the failure and the time it takes. The lamp power supply is the most expensive part costing about 1200 but can usually be repaired for about the same price as the other boards. Most commonly the motor power supply goes out and the power supply cannot be repaired and it costs about 450. If you can pick up some 4:1 lenses you can get a much larger zoom range, but you do get some noticeable light loss. 2:1 typically doesn't cover the entire cyc when on the last electric but the 4:1 usually does. I try to mount them on the second to last electric as far towards the end of the batton as possible.

Xspots are kinda hit or miss.
They can be complete maintenance hogs!
We had a inventory of around 18 fixtures that toured the US for several years.

Here are a few of the major issues.

They go through lamp sockets fairly regularly. The actual socket is fine, but the wire going to it will break down from the additional heat of being run at 850 watts.
Once this happens when you try to strike the lamp, you will hear a loud snap, this snap is the voltage that should be striking the lamp arcing to ground.

They burn out fuses on the Lamp Power Supply fairly regularly, especially when run at 120. This is a painful repair, as the LPS is difficult to remove, and must be disassembled to replace the fuses.

The shutter motors tend to fail, and they are very prone to get out of home easily. The motor spec changed at some point, and HES's solution was to add lubricant to the motor brake.
This works for a year or 2, until the lubricant dries out, and then the shutter will begin to stick or lose home.

The Focus motors burn out constantly, probably due to the fact that they are right next to the lamp.

This one is hard to explain, the threaded inserts where the yoke attaches to the head tend to get loose over time. The only solution is to replace the entire head frame.

The screws that hold the head to the yoke must be checked every year or so, or more often if they are toured. these tend to fall out. I have found fixtures after 1 year of tour with as few as 1 screw holding the head in place.

The lenses are very difficult to clean without damaging it. The newer lens assemblies are "Sealed" so this may not be an issue, but if it is, lookout! it will be difficult at best.

Make sure you are getting actual Xtremes, HES had an upgrade program for several years, and if they were upgrades, I would do a thorough inspection.

Overall, I would go with the VL2500's I have been purchasing them as a replacement for the Xspots as well as Studio 575's and have been very happy with both fixtures. /Rant

Parts are about the same as any other fixture. When logic boards fail you can get them repaired at Highend or light parts for about 300, sometimes less depending upon the failure and the time it takes. The lamp power supply is the most expensive part costing about 1200 but can usually be repaired for about the same price as the other boards. Most commonly the motor power supply goes out and the power supply cannot be repaired and it costs about 450. If you can pick up some 4:1 lenses you can get a much larger zoom range, but you do get some noticeable light loss. 2:1 typically doesn't cover the entire cyc when on the last electric but the 4:1 usually does. I try to mount them on the second to last electric as far towards the end of the batton as possible.

Tim, what is your throw distance?
Keith

I try to go for at least 10 feet but not always possible. When you put them on the last electric you do get some image scuewing but if you play with it you can make it look like part of the design. I have also moved them around from electric to electric to find what works best especially when you have to shoot around boarders and try not to make the instruments visible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back