Vintage Lighting Converting from twistlock to DMX Dimmer

I want to redo our lighting system. We have an old style Dimmer with the levers. I don't have all of the info now but I know we have some kind of "wall" to control the lights with the levers being the light level. The power is twist plugs. Here is my idea. We take an adapter to the twist plug stick a DMX channel into the dimmer outlet with the adapter next place the lights into the DMX dimmer then wire it to the DMX controller will this work? I will have more info on Friday.

I'm not sure if I understand completely. Do you mean something like distributed dimming where your dimmers are at the fixtures and the old dimmer system was just providing power to the different locations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
IMG_3790.JPGIMG_3784.JPGIMG_3786.JPGIMG_3787.JPG
Sorry for the blurry Picture It is Sierra Switchboard model SSDP I haven't contacted the electrician but plan to do so(if they are still around). Also there is a dimmer box thing for our striplights. Can we plug in dimmers to the L5 20? Then the lights to the dimmer packs? Anyone know how to fix a patchbay? Some outlets aren't working!

I'd venture to say that dimming system is a minimum of 50 years old if not more. When was the school/theatre built? It probably was the original installation.

You're best bet would be to remove the entire installation and start over.

Fantastic Relic!
My vote would be to install a modern dimmer rack near/behind this unit and move the feeds over to it. Keep the old one as it is a piece of history! If this is a school, what a dramatic demonstration it would be to be able to show students what used to be used and what replaced it! So many of these have been turned into scrap metal that there are few operational ones around. Maybe keep the house lights run through it and the stage through the new system. Whatever. Just hate to see it turned into scrap.

...Anyone know how to fix a patchbay? Some outlets aren't working!
All of the outlets (holes) in the row or just one out of the four/five? Or by "outlet" did you mean the receptacle (circuit) on the pipe? Do all of the dimmers work? Find a qualified electrician, particularly one knowledgeable about/with experience working on motors.

Interestingly, the plug box pictured is a relatively new one, by SSRC, so the system has had a remodel/refurbishment/upgrade in the past 5-15 years, I'd guess.

... but my question is whether or not we can plug dimmer packs into the outlets of the system ...
See the other thread linked to in post #3. Yes you can. It's not a particularly good idea, and exceptional care must be taken to ensure the dimmer, autotransformer never goes below 100%, but electrically it will work.

No in still confused about the DMX part as with some working outlets to power up other gear.

Sorry and not cheap in bypassing and removing the system you have to what will not be cheap to replace. Just been on a quote for replacing a system from the 90's that was crap to install and no-longer works or is supported. At least there we have DMX run (of questionable value), power and piping to the trees in circuits to in cable gutter just re-attach to a barrier strip and tales for portable dimmers once we figure out what circuit is what.

In your case, sorry. Mostly starting over but you will create a bit more room on stage once the electrician's are done removing the bulk of the gear. Save part of it if possible for exhibit. If of help, not similar and bad news of starting over for the most part.

As a concept though, those dimmers not working are no doubt very robust. Should be possible even if Hub has gone under, to have the dimmers that are bad made workable again until such a time all can be replaced. Just a thought in knowing some about old dimmers and mostly fixable - that plus a good learning experience in controlling them.

In the mean time, I would expect you have at least four 20A circuits of power along the side walls of this space and they should be able to power up some form of DMX controlled dimmers. Could be fun in both light board and back stage operation of the dimmers. Should be more fun for the lever operators in fact if made to fully function in fact.

Last edited:
DMX as a language cannot short of motors physically move levers you have. SSRC on the other hand as a company could furnish if you don't have already, all very important info in working with your system or in upgrading it. What circuit goes where as per drawing... cannot imagine how important that info is in even saving money in drawing up your own map...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back