Converting to LED

Lunatoon

Hello there CB community,

I teach theatre at a community college. Currently, we have a vintage 12 channel dimmer pack and controller. I am doing research on the feasibility of converting the entire system to LED. The theatre is relatively small so the throw distance shouldn't be that much of a factor. Does anyone have experience with this type of conversion, or relevant information that I should consider? I have been trying to find information on LED systems and would appreciate any direction you all might have, recommendations, etc.

Thanks so much!
Lunatoon

Hello there CB community,

Lunatoon

Good day Lunatoon, and welcome to the ControlBooth!

There are a number of members within the ranks here at the ControlBooth, and I'm sure you'll receive some thoughtful ideas and suggestions for your venue. In the meantime, feel free to use the Search and Wiki functions as they provide a link to scads of information already hashed out within the forum.

Thanks again for stopping by the ControlBooth-

There have been quite a few threads on going to LEDs. I think the general concensous is it is fine for cycs and even overhead fill washes but it doesn't do well for theatre front washes. Most don't do white well but if you want to do it you need an unit with RGBAW so you can mix colors more than one way. I can't give you exact units but others here should.

Thanks for the quick feedback and suggestions. Shortly after I posted this I did search around on here and found lots of relevant posts. Should have done that first I suppose. At any rate, to answer BillESC:

Stage dimensions:
Proscenium is 31' x 11'8"
Stage is 22 feet deep, which would be the longest throw needed.
The rear wall of the stage is 21 feet wide.

Trim:
The front of house batten is about 15' high and 6' in front of the proscenium
I have 3 battens over the stage itself that are 12' over the stage.

Budget:
Well that is what I am trying to determine. I would like to use this info to make a funding proposal and or a grant to convert the archaic system to something more state of the art.

I think that from what I have been reading is that the size of our theatre might be a perfect candidate for LED instruments. Thanks for your time and thoughts.

So we can make a better judgement of what level of lighting you are looking to attain, what fixtures do you currently use, and how many?
Additionally, have you considered that you will also need to purchase a controller? While the cost will be small in comparison to the fixtures, it will still be somewhat expensive depending on what level of control you need.

I currently have 3 6" fresnels, 5 6" ellipsoidals, and 1 Par can. I have a twelve channel 2 scene fader board, the whole system has to be late sixties vintage. I have another 6 or so ellipsoidals that I need to get new bulbs for or get reparied, but I have been able to make do with only 9 instruments so far. Would love more lighting options though, and I need to do a research project for a master degree that I am working toward.

I have considered the need for a new controller and would like to utilize a dedicated school computer in conjunction with a fader board if such a system exists. Right now I am really just trying to gather as much info on all the options that exist so I can piece together the best and most affordable plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back