Countryman Knockoffs

FACTplayers

I recently purchased some countryman knockoffs (Pyle) and I have to say, they work great for our high/middle schoolers. However, half of our system is Shure and the other half is Electro-Voice. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can find cheap (under $50) countryman knockoffs for EV? I have searched and keep coming up with nothing. Is there a way to re-solder the Shure mics (not the packs) for EV?

I'm not a fan of Pyle electrics from experience (they will fail at any moment, no matter how careful you are). Their hard-product like rack shelves, stands and the like? Not bad stuff for the price.

But, for cheaper replacement I've had a little luck with Airwave Technologies. Do a quick search on Amazon and you will find them. They're actually not bad and in some types of units, it's VERY hard to distinguish from the $400 real deal. They are more expensive than the Pyle (they run about $149), but I've heard them work and it's still only a fraction of the cost

On their web site they guarantee them to be as good as the e6. I kept mine and plan on buying more. I installed 8 with Sennheiser body packs in a high school and they have loved them. When I bought mine it was to meet a rider for Bill Cosby and no one knew they weren't the E6's that were on the rider.

I'm not a fan of Pyle electrics from experience (they will fail at any moment, no matter how careful you are). Their hard-product like rack shelves, stands and the like? Not bad stuff for the price.
But, for cheaper replacement I've had a little luck with Airwave Technologies. Do a quick search on Amazon and you will find them. They're actually not bad and in some types of units, it's VERY hard to distinguish from the $400 real deal. They are more expensive than the Pyle (they run about $149), but I've heard them work and it's still only a fraction of the cost

You can get a Countryman B3 for $150...

Does anyone know how to switch my EV packs to accept Shure mics or switch the Shure mics to work with EV? According to the wiring diagrams pins 1 and 3 should be switched, but the EV uses a larger resistor. I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not...

You can get a Countryman B3 for $150...

But the B3 is a bit too heavy on the low-end for a lot of voices in my experience, and after shipping the price can be a bit different. Yes, $50 here and there isn't much, but if you're a small venue or are buying a large lot of them, that start to add up quick. Now, I'm not a fan of "cheaping out" but sometimes it's nice to know what the alternatives are that actually work

Wait, the B3 is a lav mic. Are we talking about lavs or headsets here? I had assumed headsets such as the e6, as that's what I associate Countryman with (that and the 85 DI).

Wait, the B3 is a lav mic. Are we talking about lavs or headsets here? I had assumed headsets such as the e6, as that's what I associate Countryman with (that and the 85 DI).

The B3 actually works quite well as a headset mic too. Have the head of the mic in a similar position to where it would be on the e6, then put a very small piece of clear medical tape on its cable on the persons cheek. run the cable over the ear and down. If handled reasonably well it'll last a long time and give great sound. This is what I've had quite a few schools do who havent had the money for an e6, and they all LOVE them.

The B3 actually works quite well as a headset mic too. Have the head of the mic in a similar position to where it would be on the e6, then put a very small piece of clear medical tape on its cable on the persons cheek. run the cable over the ear and down. If handled reasonably well it'll last a long time and give great sound. This is what I've had quite a few schools do who havent had the money for an e6, and they all LOVE them.

That's a very common miking technique, using lav elements. It doesn't make it a headset mic though.

Not at all. We do this for the lav mics we have - I've never been happy with the results. However, it's better than nothing.

I usually get pretty good results from the lavs on actors faces. Although if I can help it, I'd rather have the Shure elements used as a lav, just because they are so big.

Other than wimpy ear loops (apparently they offer a stiffer one if you call in your order) the Madness mics have been fine - they sound good and no failures yet.

Other than wimpy ear loops (apparently they offer a stiffer one if you call in your order) the Madness mics have been fine - they sound good and no failures yet.

The ear loops are always the biggest weakness. Thats where all of my actors grab/pinch the second they feel the mic is "too loose". Hence why two are now useless and I tape everything.

In my opinion, some of the mics referenced are great, but only as a starter set. We have 10 of the Liz-tans in our school, that sound good and worth the $80 if they are handled with great care. However, in 4 years, 3 of them have become unsusable, 2 repaired under warranty, 1 not. We knew cheaping out would give an initial lower cost, but require quicker replacement. The same would apply for many of the other cheap options I have checked out. Our other 8 Akg mics are awesome, but won't work with ev. We just started replacing the acacia's a couple at a time each year with akg's. This plan seems to have fit our low budget, which is typically earned is small grants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back