Cues... dumb question.

Okay. I'm playing with the off-line software, and I can do everything above. The only question I have at the moment is how would I change the fade time of an individual cue?

You would hit [cue] XX [TIME] Y [ENTER] Z [ENTER]
where XX=cue number, Y=upfade time, and Z=Downfade time

Upfade is the time it take for channels whose level is going up to change, and downfade is the time it takes for channels whose level is going down. If you want the upfade and downfade to be the same you can hit: [CUE]X[TIME]Y[ENTER][ENTER].

Note:
Once you hit: [CUE]X[TIME] you will see a red prompt at the bottom center of the screen that should say "enter upfade time" then once you hit enter the prompts will change to "enter downfade time."

You can also set a default fade time, I forget where, but in one of the setup menus you can change the default fade time. So if you like 3 count fade you can set it to 3, I think the factory default is 5.

Perfect! Next week's choir show is going to rock the director's socks.
Glad we've helped. I think we've given you enough assistance to be dangerous (in a good way).:)

One more thing. Once of the greatest improvements of the early 1990s was the ability to add text to one's cuelist. If you don't have a keyboard attached to your Express, I highly recommend it. The ExpressionI and older consoles do not have this ability. Note that the Expression boards take the old style, 5pin DIN connector, NOT PS/2. It's getting difficult to find these new, but there are plenty of used ones everywhere. Start with your school's computer lab or IT people. EDIT: I've only used an Express once, when called in on a emergency. I don't see a keyboard input in the back in any ETC literature. No text labeling? Can this be true? If so, DEATH to the Express!

Nope, no keyboard input. But we can print cue sheets...and write in the cue names....This actually won't be too bad. I mean, we've managed to survive this far without cues at all.

Thanks again everyone! :mrgreen:

Sorry for the double post.

Another question. Is it possible to create groups with different intensities on the same cue? I can only seem to make a cue that has everything at the same level.

You should be able to put any channel at any level in a cue. I am confused though because you said "groups" with different intensities in the same cue.

If you create a GROUP, the levels that you set for the channels in that group scale depending on the intensity you bring the group up to. So if you have chan 1 @ 50 and Chan 2 @ FL in a group and you bring that group to full then those channels will come up to the level you set. However, if you bring the group up to 50% then Chan 1 would come up to 25 and Chan 2 would come up to 50.

If you are working in LIVE then if you bring a channel up with a fader or with the keypad whatever level it is at will be recorded when you hit the record button. In BLIND, the faders still act live, and have no effect on channels in BLIND, so the only way to set levels in blind is with the keypad.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll give you an example.

I want to put chan 28 @ FL and chans45-46 @ 75 on the same cue. I open BLIND, select chan 28, set intensity @ FL. Then I AND 45-46. This is where the problem is. When I try to set 45-46 @ 75, it also sets chan 28 @ 75. Does that make sense?

...Is it possible to create groups with different intensities on the same cue? ...
This is really two questions. A "Group" is just like a cue, a collection of channels at the same or different intensities. Groups are often used like submasters, as a tool for building cues more quickly. Let's set that aside for now.

To record a cue, just type a channel at a level, and repeat with each channel until it's the way you want it. For example. [ch] 1 [at] full. [ch] 2 [at] 50. [ch] 3 [thru] 10 [at] 75. Channel 2 needs to be brighter. [ch] 2 [at] 75. (Alternatively, [ch] 2 [enter] and "roll" it up or down on the trackpad (Level wheel on the Expression). If you select a range of channels already at different levels, the trackpad can bring them up or down proportionally to one another until they all reach full or zero. This can be very useful if you like the look you've created onstage but the director wants "everything brighter".) When you're satisfied, [rec] [cue] x [enter] [enter] [cue] x [GO-AB] [rel] [rel]. (That's the long way, there are shortcuts, but that's another lesson.)

edit: For the time being, while learning the console, use "Stage" display, not "Blind". Blind is incredibly powerful, and all consoles since 1976 have had it, but it can also get you in a world of trouble and easily screw up everything you've done.

I want to put chan 28 @ FL and chans45-46 @ 75 on the same cue. I open BLIND, select chan 28, set intensity @ FL. Then I AND 45-46. This is where the problem is. When I try to set 45-46 @ 75, it also sets chan 28 @ 75. Does that make sense?
There's the prob. Don't [and] 45 [thru] 46. Type [ch] 45 {[and] or [thru]} 46 [at] 75.

Another lesson you're not ready for is using [track] instead of [rec]. When you're ready, see the glossary entry "Cue Tracking".

Last edited:
Derek, I edited my prior post with the offending syntax, I hope you like the disclaimer. ;)

I'll not make any more mention of syntax on this thread.

I don't like the factory default of 5 seconds... I prefer 3-4 second fades. Also, I may want to play around with fade profiles, I suppose it's the filament lag, but it was really bugging me during the last show... it's not possible someone else accidentally put on a square curve, is it?

I think one of you told me of a designer who had you put the default fade time at something obscure like 4.6 seconds, that is a brilliant concept.

Now, Clif, this has essentially become your Q&A thread, any more questions?

Last edited:
props for asking a "dumb question" as you put it. I don't even think it is a dumb one. If you don't know and never had a chance to learn, what's dumb about it?

personally, I would never ask because I have too much freakin' pride and would rather go through a show frantically shoving sliders up and down. Luckily all the guys (and girls) on this forum couldn't be nicer and give all the advice you want without any snide remarks or mockery.

props for asking a "dumb question" as you put it. I don't even think it is a dumb one. If you don't know and never had a chance to learn, what's dumb about it?

personally, I would never ask because I have too much freakin' pride and would rather go through a show frantically shoving sliders up and down. Luckily all the guys (and girls) on this forum couldn't be nicer and give all the advice you want without any snide remarks or mockery.

Ah, Aaron, you gotta ask questions in life.

I'm good for things now. Later I'll probably ask about tracking and the other things mentioned. I'm going to play around with the off-line software and hopefully the actual board on Tuesday. Once I've got all of this definitely down I'll be back.

First off A BIG box of Donuts for Charc. You really nailed this one right out of the gate buddy. It would appear you don't really need us anymore young grasshopper when you can snatch the pebbles from Derek's hand you will be ready...

Hey Clifford first off don't even think about tracking until you have done several shows and really have your brain fully wrapped around untracked recording... and if you don't have any moving lights or other DMX gadgets... there is very little advantage to turning it on... you will only get confused and frustrated.

Second. Let me help take you a step further down the path to enlightenment. Once you have mastered the basics of recording cues and turning lights on and off with the key pad let's unleash the real power of submasters. Go into setup and turn off the 2 scene mode and get all the submasters you can.

Now Start working your way around the stage. From the keypad turn on all the lights in the farthest down right corner of your stage and record it as a sub, then down center, then down left... work your way around the stage in logical areas. Do you have striplights on each electric with different colors in them? How about all the red lights on all three electrics as a sub, all the blue lights, all the green. Then what about other color washes. All the blue lights from the front of the house, all the amber lights... colors on the cyc. You get the idea. Record all the logical combinations you can think of into submasters. MAKE A LIST of what you have recorded! Now... are you ready... think of your submasters as a big box of crayons that allow you to paint the stage. Need to light a specific area of the stage... no problem that's what subs 2 and 8 do. Need more blue?... Turn up sub 15... got it? Once you have the look you like, record the cue and start painting the next cue.

I get what you're saying. That's what we've always done, minus the cues. The only fear I have about cues is they make the show dreadfully boring for the light op (sometimes me).

I get what you're saying. That's what we've always done, minus the cues. The only fear I have about cues is they make the show dreadfully boring for the light op (sometimes me).

Not that I have been part of this discussion - but I have been reading it - think about how cues will help the rest of the stage manager though: he/she doesn't have to worry about making sure that you are ready with the set up of the next look between cues - all you have to do is put your finger on the "go" button and wait for the SM to call go. Yes, it may be boring for the light op to just sit there and wait between cues, but I've worked shows that have had the bare minimum of light cues (lights up at the beginning of the act and lights down at the end of the act), and even if we were using a two-scene board, the LBO would have close to 45 minutes between cues. But then again, I've also worked shows that have had about 7 cues in approx. 25 sec. (every other measure for 14 measures of music), where there would have been no time to set each up on a two-preset board.
So, having cues not only allows the SM to be happy (I know I am when I'm SMing) but it also allows theatre departments to do bigger shows with more light cues. Oh, and if you ever expand to using scrollers and such, it is so much better knowing that every time you to get to Cue 10 (for example) the lights will be pink, instead of hoping that you hit that 28% on the two-scene.

Not that I have been part of this discussion - but I have been reading it - think about how cues will help the rest of the stage manager though: he/she doesn't have to worry about making sure that you are ready with the set up of the next look between cues - all you have to do is put your finger on the "go" button and wait for the SM to call go. Yes, it may be boring for the light op to just sit there and wait between cues, but I've worked shows that have had the bare minimum of light cues (lights up at the beginning of the act and lights down at the end of the act), and even if we were using a two-scene board, the LBO would have close to 45 minutes between cues. But then again, I've also worked shows that have had about 7 cues in approx. 25 sec. (every other measure for 14 measures of music), where there would have been no time to set each up on a two-preset board.
So, having cues not only allows the SM to be happy (I know I am when I'm SMing) but it also allows theatre departments to do bigger shows with more light cues. Oh, and if you ever expand to using scrollers and such, it is so much better knowing that every time you to get to Cue 10 (for example) the lights will be pink, instead of hoping that you hit that 28% on the two-scene.

It should also make the Board Op's life easier because they don't have to worry, they only have to press one button. If you find yourself getting bored, you may get used to the phrase "Keep the com chatter to a minimum please, thank you". ;)

I'm usually the headset police actually. Not that I do very much in terms of policing.

In the future I'll just judge what's best for theshow being run. We have a lecture coming up that none of us can make, so if I can set up cues the n00bish people will only have two buttons to push: on/off and Go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back