Custom Snake

Call911

Hey all,

I need to make a custom snake, with the ends coming out every few feet instead of all at the end.

I've done this before, making the wires and ends is nonproblem, but I would like to encase the snake better. I've just used Zip ties wrapped around the snake to hold it together. This isn't the best, as the wires still sneak out between the zip ties. And while wrapping it the zip ties aren't the best.

I was thinking of any other options. I think heat shrink tubing would be the best, but I can't find it in long lengths.

Any thoughts?

It's for a highschool marching band. We have 2 minutes to take the field, sound check, and be ready to go.

The school I work with is the state champions for many years. Before I was hired they ran all the mics into the mixer without snakes. The snake sped things up a bunch, and I'm looking to improve the speed.

On another topic, any thoughts on fast to connect and sturdy multipin connectors? Marching band tends to beat everything to death, so it needs to be sturdy and reliable.

It's 30 yards/90 feet/27.432 meters. 0 - 35 - 50 - 35 - 0.

... On another topic, any thoughts on fast to connect and sturdy multipin connectors? Marching band tends to beat everything to death, so it needs to be sturdy and reliable.
How many channels? I'd probably recommend the Whirlwind W1 or W2. RamLatch and MASS connectors are too fragile for this application.

I think heatshrink is the best idea.

I like the Whirlwind connectors that Derek suggested. My school uses them for one of our snakes, and the MASS for the other. They work beautifully, and are very quick to attach. They seem pretty durable, too.

It's for a highschool marching band.

Out of curiosity, what school? I'm also in marching band, and I think that I might have seen your setup once.

Last edited:
I think that braided sleeving with heatshrink over each end of the braid makes more sense than trying to heatshrink the whole thing. That would allow the cable to move within the bundle a bit, probably making coiling it much easier. I agree with Derek on the W1/W2 rather than MASS connectors but the Ramlatch would probably be fine. There's also the Canon FK37/Whirlwind DT12 (used extensively in the broadcast industry) and the ITT/VEAM PT series (meets the same MIL specs as the W1 and W2).

Don't put heat shrink over the whole thing - that would suck to coil. I like museav's idea of using braided sleeving with heat shrink over each end - I have used braided sleeving in the past for bundling cables and it works great. As mentioned, this will allow the cables to move inside - and that will make coiling a whole lot easier. The W1/W2 connectors would be my recommendation as well - very sturdy and well built and also quick to connect.

Why are you micing a marching band? Do all the bands do this? If so, competition has changed tremendously since I was involved.

Why are you micing a marching band? Do all the bands do this? If so, competition has changed tremendously since I was involved.
He might just be micing the percussion pit (timpani, vibes, etc.) They're usually down front and don't march.
Marching band has changed tremendously since we were involved. The electronic metronomes are like an ice pick to the forehead... :lol:

Thanks for the thoughts.

Yes, marching band is heavily mic'd now. Mostly on the front ensemble (pit), on the marimbas and vibes. But also for synths and wireless solos. Some of the larger schools (300+) have wireless on all of their section leaders to fill in weak spots. It's quite impressive.

We run a 32 channel Yamaha 01V96 digital board, using on average 24 channels. 5 marimbas (2 mics each), 3 vibes (2 mics each), 2 synths, guitar, bass, and 4 wireless last year. The band I am on staff with is only 140 members, so middle sized, but we have claimed our state championship before, and have just moved onto the national stage this year.

If your interested in the specific band I work for, shoot me a PM. Were a suburb of Chicago, and if you attend ISU, BOA Indy, or BOA Grand Nationals you would of seen us a few times.

He might just be micing the percussion pit (timpani, vibes, etc.) They're usually down front and don't march.
Marching band has changed tremendously since we were involved. The electronic metronomes are like an ice pick to the forehead... :lol:

Oh the Dr Beat hooked up to a Longranger. :) 120db of pure beats. You can hear that thing a mile away.

I thought originally the pit, don't have a big problem there, but he said 35 to 35 and that says the whole band to me. Call me old but we had no problem filling a stadium. I was the discant trumpet and the last thing I would ever would have expected was an electronic assist to help me. Of course we had to walk more than two houses to meet the bus, **** kids. :)

I thought originally the pit, don't have a big problem there, but he said 35 to 35 and that says the whole band to me. Call me old but we had no problem filling a stadium. I was the discant trumpet and the last thing I would ever would have expected was an electronic assist to help me. Of course we had to walk more than two houses to meet the bus, **** kids. :)

Sadly it's not longer about "filing the stadium", but now the judges want you to blow the stadium down. It's pretty intense. YouTube DCI one day, and you'll see some of the top of the line groups.

So how does this braided sleeveing works? How does it get secured? How does it keep from unraveling?

Basically it sounds like were looking at a loom issue here more than a snake.. Correct me if Im mistaken though. As such, I suppose this all breaks down into how much you want to spend. Whirlwind will be more than happy to build a breakout style loom with color-coded and labeled cables with a multipin connection (leave the fan out attached to the desk and connect the multi once placed) but that sure is expensive. if you were using the zip-tie method before, I assume money may be an issue. However, I am still a personal fan (as are the majority of people on tours of all sizes) of keeping all looms of this style to e tape (better on the hands when coiling :!:), as well as when the tuba player stomps your ends or the the line gets broke somewhere midstream its easier to repair. If you really want to go high end though, I feel your best served with a whirlwind system with their different styles of drop boxes. Be it a through system or just several smaller boxes coming back to central snake head. Off of these smaller drops, do a e-taped loom of eight channels or so that will reach your desired areas. And as mentioned before..when the heck did marching band get all fancy and hi-fi?! I was just told to honk my bari sax louder if i wasnt heard!

I would definitely build looms, depending on the number maybe multible looms. It would probably be faster to roll four looms with less cables than two with more. You will need to teach some students to properly roll cable to make it faster both ways. I would color code you snake head or the board to make the patch go faster.

Yes, marching band is heavily mic'd now. Mostly on the front ensemble (pit), on the marimbas and vibes. But also for synths and wireless solos. Some of the larger schools (300+) have wireless on all of their section leaders to fill in weak spots. It's quite impressive.

We run a 32 channel Yamaha 01V96 digital board, using on average 24 channels. 5 marimbas (2 mics each), 3 vibes (2 mics each), 2 synths, guitar, bass, and 4 wireless last year.

Jeez - this almost violates the spirit of a marching band for me (almost)... But, in the late 70's, the H.S. band I marched with rolled big pleated-vinyl Kustom towers onto the field so our Stage Band could play Birdland during the show, so I guess I can't complain too much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back