Cyc Questions for High School Theater

ohsdrama

Hello,

I am the Assistant Director of a high school putting on a production of Aida. We plan to buy a sky blue seamless cyc for this show. I've done a lot of research and read many threads on this forum to try to figure out the best cyc to purchase, and would appreciate some feedback on my choice.

Northeast Stage quoted me at $880 for the following specifications:
Cyclorama, 0% fullness, Seamless top hem with webbing, grommets, and ties, Bottom pipepocket, 2" Off-Stage Side hems
Seamless Muslin FR
20'h x32 'w each
Fullness %: flat

Color: Sky
Blue

Out stage is only around 40' wide so a 32' seems to fit nicely. We will be installing a pulley just for this cyc and future backdrops.

Will I need anything else to ensure the cyc hangs well? Any other finishings or special features? I'm new to purchasing this kind of equipment and would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Also, Rosebrand quoted me at a much higher price ($1,264.44) for a similar product:
Type: Seamless Muslin Drop
Quantity: 1 Identical Piece
Size: 20'0" High x 32'0" Wide
Fabric: FR LT Blue Muslin
Top Finish: Webbing grommets ties
Side Finish: On-Stage Edge: 2" hem, Offstage Edge: 2" hem
Bottom Finish: Pipe pocket on back w/skirt

Is the a significant difference between the two? I know Rosebrand is supposed to be a great company but the price difference just doesn't make sense to me. Any insight would be great.

Thanks!
Adam

Any reason its only 32' wide when your stage is 40' wide? I would expect it to be wider... Also by pulley do you mean lineset? FWIW I like Rosebrand as a supplier... Expensive but the service seems to be there.

ohsdrama, welcome to the booth. One of the differences I see in the two quotes: one says "Bottom pipepocket," while the other says "Pipe pocket on back w/skirt" (preferred). For any cyc/drop, you're also going to need ~34' of bottom pipe, possibly best sourced at a local plumbing supply house.

As shipping is not a very large part of the cost, consider getting bids from vendors in other parts of the country: IWeiss, SECOA, Sew What? DrapeKings, Show Rags, Theatrical Rags, MPowers' outfit, and so on.

Do you guys have Cyc lights at your facility? If so, I'd recommend buying a white cyc and using the cyc lights to make it a number of different colors rather than it always just being blue.

Do you guys have Cyc lights at your facility? If so, I'd recommend buying a white cyc and using the cyc lights to make it a number of different colors rather than it always just being blue.

Having used both, I actually liked the sky blue one better then the white ones. With the exception of the one venue where we had an amazing ground row as well.

Sky blue is actually a preferred around here, you still get your color mixing (its not blue enough to create issues) and if you don't need to use gel for lighting for an assembly you can just use the cyc as a bounce to get a more defined speaker.

Thanks for all the feedback!

First, in terms of size, the back wall of our stage is just barely 40' wide and the longest piping buildings and grounds can install for us is around 30'. Our set designer also recommended the 32' cyc for our stage, so I hope it works well. We're working with limited budget and resources, so I'm trying to make the best of it.

Also, to raise the cyc, a lineset sounds like what we're planning to install. Right now we have no fly system, few pipes to rig equipment to, and only a beat up old 2x10 mounted to the back wall, 16' high and maybe 25' long. I plan to tear that down and work with this system.

For color, we use a lighting technician who consults and designs the show through a contract with the district. He strongly recommends the light blue.

I'll give the other vendors quotes a try as well to see the options out there.

What else to I need to know about ordering a cyc? What about hanging it and storing it?

Thanks for all the great feedback!
Adam

Hey,

I'm surprised no one else has jumped in on it yet, so I'll be the one to do it, I guess.

If you are planning on installing any sort of overhead rigging it's really important that you have qualified professionals involved in the project. Not to besmirch your B&G guys, indeed they'll be a useful resource in terms of knowing the building, but there is a whole industry of professionals devoted to making sure what you are trying to do is done safely. Entertainment Rigging has a very unique set of problems and standards that really need to be addressed by someone certified as a Rigger. I didn't catch where you are located but I'm sure if you do a little googling around you can find a company in your area that can help you out.

Dan

Sky blue is actually a preferred around here, you still get your color mixing (its not blue enough to create issues) and if you don't need to use gel for lighting for an assembly you can just use the cyc as a bounce to get a more defined speaker.

Hmm interesting. I guess I only speak for what my college has. I would just think if you were doing color mixing on the cyc, the blue would interfere but i guess not. I do know that if you get any kind of stain on a white cyc and it shows terribly haha. We happen to have a couple nice big purple paint stains on ours thanks to previous students before me. We generally use 7 3-cell cyc lights for our cyc and the coverage is usually pretty good. However, in a perfect world, I think some LED lightbars hung, which have a much better throw than conventional cyc lights, would be awesome to have to hang and to run a ground row!

our theater purchased a custom cyc from Iweiss and i'm not impressed with the "quality" of grommets or sewing on it. It is gently used the the rubber bungies hooks /and grommets are corroding and disintegrating after only 4 years. in a climate controlled space.

our new house blacks purchased from Rose-brand are in great condition and get heavily used.

Rose brand from my dealings with them are very willing to help work with in your budget, and their customer services after the fact when we had to get a few of our blacks altered was top notch. Both companies will get you what you need for the price you can afford but I'd look at Rose-brand before anything else. Rose-brand gave you the higher price, you should feel free to go to them and let them know someone else will do it for "x" but you'd like to work with them.

Also, to raise the cyc, a lineset sounds like what we're planning to install. Right now we have no fly system, few pipes to rig equipment to, and only a beat up old 2x10 mounted to the back wall, 16' high and maybe 25' long. I plan to tear that down and work with this system.

WHOA! Hold on. I don't mean to insult you in any way here. But if you don't know the correct terminology you are definitely not qualified to do this job. You need to get a real stage rigger in there to analyze the situation and tell you what can and can't safely do. Your school may have maintenance people who think they know what they are doing, but they are not theatrical riggers. Remember, when rigging fails, people die. If you are going to install something like a lineset you absolutely must have it professionally installed. First of all you do not want to risk the lives of your students, which you would be doing. Secondly, the district could be out millions in lawsuit dollars for your negligence. Hire a professional.

A local theater shop should have someone who they will be happy to send out to give you an installation quote if you aren't too far out in the woods. You could also call a nearby university and ask if you can hire their rigger to give you advice... he may charge you cash or you may get lucky and find one that works for 6 packs. If you do live a long way away from the city you need to bite the bullet and pay a rigger to come see you.

Finally, it is absolutely not acceptable to just go down to Home Depot/Lowes/ACE and buy some chain and pulleys to rig this up. No of those things are rated for overhead lifting. You need professional quality equipment, selected by a rigging professional.

I'll contact CB's resident riggers to have one stop in to check out this thread. It would be helpful if you could post some pictures to better explain what is existing in your theater and what you are intending to install.

Last edited:
Get a rigger to scope out you situation and put you on the right track. Sounds like you have some conflicts here. If your stage house is 40' wide side wall to side wall, what is your proscenium opening? Why can the B&G only install a 30' pipe for you? Why did the Lighting person suggest a 32' pipe? Will the B&G be installing whatever you do or will you be installing the rigging, or will a third party be doing the install?

If you don't have a fly system now, you might not have the structure needed to support a new line set. Although a cyc is relatively light weight in terms of rigging, you still have to account for all the forces involved. The head block area will be supporting more than twice the weight of the rig and there will be lateral and resultant forces as well as vertical on all the structural members you attach rigging to.

You're only an hour north of the City, so there are a huge # of riggers in your area. You might ask Rose Brand if they have any recommendations of someone close.

If your lighting person is under contract, is he a practicing theatre pro? If so, perhaps he knows some rigging people, ask him.

As for hanging and storing the cyc, to hang it you tie it on the pipe. to store it, you can simply fly it out, or if you don't have the height, bundle it and tie to the batten, get a scenery hamper with a lid and store it in that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. We have a company under contract with the school distict to provide us with lighting as needed for our shows. I spoke with the owner, and he is coming in to check out our stage and see what our options are. He did mention that he had a rigger on staff, so hopefully they can help us figure out how to do everything effectively and safely. Working with a very limited budget though, I hope we can make everything happen.

Concerning the size of the cyc, the lineset, etc., I'm not quite sure why our set guy recommended the 32' pipe or cyc as opposed to larger options. When I meet with the lighting consultant I'll be sure to go over all of our options and specifications.

I definitely want to make sure that we do everything right, so I appreicate the feedback.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back