DMX & Moving Lights In ETC 48/96

You've accurately described how soft patch relates to traditional instruments. All that's required to understand the way soft patching relates to moving lights is that moving lights respond to DMX channel levels exactly the same way as dimmers, except that the level value is being used to control something that isn't a dimmer. Moving lights generally require multiple channels, and so you use Fixture Patch on an Express to assign which Express and DMX channels will be treated as moving lights. Then, when you select those channels (now shown with a light grey rectangle grouping them) the Fixture Box comes up and you can adjust each channel/attribute of the moving light.

I'm familiar with patching, though I haven't seen it referred it as soft patching, though that makes sense. I like to keep my patch very organized on the board so it isn't too difficult to find things when setting levels for a show. I was confused how fixture patch works because I played with it not understanding how the DMX protocol works in relation to dimmers and moving lights so when I patched a moving light (even though I didn't have one) it messed up all the other channels. Definitely important to start at the highest unused channel, or as you said previously, just use DMX B. I think I've really, really expanded my understanding of DMX and moving lights. Next time I'm in our theatre I'll take a closer look at things now that I know how they are really working. My next area of inquiry is eventually going to be MIDI and how you can run shows using it or even just what you can do with it at all. But I don't think I'm going to worry about that right now. Thanks for all of your help! :)

*thinks about writing a post on MIDI*

*notices it's 7:20 and he needs to be at school*

Crap. Well, I'll tell you all about it, if no-one else does, when I get back on Sunday. Cheers :)

Thanks! We have a snow day here so it's kind of nice, considering when every town surrounding us doesn't have school we still do. My only experience with Midi at the moment is with my computer and the keyboard that I have right next to it. I have an adapter so I can play through the computer to the keyboard or record from the keyboard to the computer but that is about the extent of my knowledge. Thanks for all of your help Nephilim!

MIDI for LX control is generally a cue firing method - every MIDI 'note' corresponds to a cue or other command on the desk and you have to program your MIDI controller accordingly. MIDI is used not only as an instrument interface but also as a syncing and signalling interface with the development of advanced MIDI sequencers.

One caveat about running moving lights from dimmers. Many of the newer fixtures don't like the "squared" waves that come out of a dimmer. This can potentially damage or destroy the fixtures power supply. A lengthy discussion can be found on the lightnetwork forum http://forums.delphiforums.com/lightnetwork.
ETC offers a non-choked breaker only module for use in sensor racks to power fixtures with out damaging them.
Hope this helps
Ronald Beal
Lighting Crewchief/Technician/Moving light tech

Users who are viewing this thread

Back