Control/Dimming ETC Express Remote Control?

My theatre group is working with a ETC Express 24/48 board and we are not upgrading anytime soon. I've noticed that there are iPad apps designed to work to be able to control DMX controls from the app through a wireless network. Will any of these apps work for the 24/48 and how would I go about setting everything up to work like that?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, there's no way to use an iPad or cell phone as an RRFU on the Express line. However there are products you can use. The most common solution for this is a wired remote that you can buy that connects to the board - not wireless, but those remotes have been the workhorses in most Express/Obsession houses for many years. These used to sell for around $1200, although I have no idea what they'd be now or even if you can get one from ETC. If you wanted something wireless, ETC did make a wireless RRFU for the Express and Obsession, but one major drawback is that it has no display screen, only buttons (cut sheet attached). A much cheaper alternative was the Focus Phone, but this is long discontinued, and finding one would be difficult.

So the short answer to your question is No - you can't use an iPad or any kind of wireless network, you need dedicated hardware made specifically for that console. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• RRFU_vB.pdf
    627.4 KB · Views: 794
My house has the wireless RFU for our 48/96. Even without a screen, it's the greatest thing ever. I honestly can't imagine working without it. Assuming you are comfortable with the keypad on the console itself, the lack of a screen isn't really an issue. I can press buttons and know exactly what's up on the screen of the console or what the console is doing just because I have experience with it. The screen is in my mind.

Unfortunately I was told it's worth around $1200 and I don't think they even make them anymore. You may be able to find one somewhere used, though.

Yep, here: ETC/Elec Theatre Controls RRFU Radio Remote Focus Unit | Full Compass (AFAIK this one is new, too)

My house has the wireless RFU for our 48/96. Even without a screen, it's the greatest thing ever. I honestly can't imagine working without it. Assuming you are comfortable with the keypad on the console itself, the lack of a screen isn't really an issue. I can press buttons and know exactly what's up on the screen of the console or what the console is doing just because I have experience with it. The screen is in my mind.

Unfortunately I was told it's worth around $1200 and I don't think they even make them anymore. You may be able to find one somewhere used, though.

Yep, here: ETC/Elec Theatre Controls RRFU Radio Remote Focus Unit | Full Compass (AFAIK this one is new, too)
I have one of those too. The thing I like most is that it's in a heavy steel case. It's VERY tough.

My friend Scott (techno89) designed some sort of configuration to do this. Something where the iPad fired MSC cues on Q-Lab that fired Macros on the Express to hit buttons. It seemed a bit excessive for an RFU, but you can talk to him about what he put together.

Best,
Joe

The no screen is annoying but it's still wireless and I'll take that over the wired remote. The one that I use during the summer has been beaten on the road during national tours. Certain buttons like the 0 barely register so it does get annoying sometimes since you can't tell. I've typed in 150-160 @ Full before and it only registered as 1-160 @ Full which can be scary sometimes. However, considering how many years it has been on the road and it has never once gone in for repairs, I'd count that as a success. I just have to take my time to really make sure I hit the buttons just right.

(Sorry, I just couldn't let this thread slip by without one of my semi-annual rants...)
Now for the rant. WHY? do you want this? If you answer "So I can focus lights from the catwalk without having to run back and forth to the board," I feel that's the wrong answer, and here's why. Professional lighting focuses are run with a minimum of four people: #1-Person on the board in the booth (or onstage on an RFU), #2-Lighting Designer standing onstage directing, #3-Person manipulating the fixture, #4-Extra Person (often the ME) reading the plot, troubleshooting, managing the crew, directing other projects. Many will say "We don't have enough people for that." To which I reply, then you aren't training/recruiting properly. Putting a newbie on the board or RFU is a great way to indoctrinate them. Likewise, teaching someone how to focus a fixture saves one from having to run all over the theatre to every lighting position. Keeping the most knowledgeable person on the ground with spare lamps/color/accessories and able to be dispatched anywhere to solve a problem also just makes sense. If you regularly find yourself the only one "doing lights," it's time to change that mindset. First, it's unsafe to work in a theatre alone. Second, it's lonely and boring. Theatre IS a collaborative art, isn't it? /rant off

As others have said, any iPhone-as-RFU-application will be console-specific. And will never be as fast or complete as using the actual console or manufacturer's dedicated RFU/RRFU.
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/members/3d.html
Stage electricians have been getting along fine without wireless pocket remotes for well over one hundred years now. I'm not saying they're not useful, but I think may lead to more individuality and less team cooperation.

ketchuphed, type "Express RFU" in the CB search box. You'll get lots of hits. Lest anyone ask WHY the Express doesn't support the iPhone/iPad remote, does your 1995 car have Bluetooth?

ketchuphed does your 1995 car have Bluetooth?

No. But my director's 1991 car does, and my 1999 car does by our design. I don't find that to be the best comparison because most cars are upgradable and by you saying that I get the impression that the Express board could be upgradable. But from the other answers I have gotten it does seem that my venture is fruitless, unless I do end up communicating with techno89 about his setup. Thanks for all the prompt answers. Even though most of them weren't what I was hoping for.

I highly doubt that product is still available. Likely an old listing that was never removed when the product was discontinued.
-----
...I don't find that to be the best comparison ...
Agreed; it was a lame analogy, but the best I could think of at the moment.

New tack: Look at why (I suspect; no first-hand knowledge) the Focus Phone (which might have been perfect for your needs) was discontinued by West Side Systems. Too expensive, and not enough demand. Perhaps if enough Express(ion) owners pummel them with requests ([email protected]), they'll reconsider. ;)

Sorry the answers were not what you were hoping for. :(

Keep your expectations low, so as to never be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that product is still available. Likely an old listing that was never removed when the product was discontinued.

Actually, the RRFU is still on ETC's price list and is still being manufactured. It is the only way, that I am aware of, to purchase a new remote, wired or wireless, for Express/ion line consoles.

Best,
John

I have been able to wirelessly control my ETC Express, using an iPod Touch and MIDI. I use an App called Control, where you can create interfaces that send customizable MIDI commands. I then send these commands to a computer via wifi, then these commands are routed to a USB-MIDI converter, sending the MIDI command into the Express. These MIDI commands then trigger programmed Macros, which are either a single button (Cue, Dimmer, Channel, etc) or a series of buttons (Chan 1 @ FL, etc). Works well for me. I can share the code (hasn't been updated in a while unfortunately because I have been busy), but has always worked for me. And since it is just an iOS app, it can be run from any iTouch, iPad or iPhone, given the user has access to the interface and the network.

I can share the code (hasn't been updated in a while unfortunately because I have been busy), but has always worked for me.

That would still be great! I have a usb-midi interface and there is a computer within reach of the controller, the only problem is I'm not sure I'm finding the right app. If you could also link to the iTunes store page to the app that would be great.

Thank you!
Cody

Every time I go to help with focus at the HS and there is only 2 or 3 of us and I wish we had a RFU I start thinking, why has no one reverse engineered this yet, dropped it into an arduino based box and gave it an IP address?

Then I google around, and see there is nothing really out there and go to bed.

Every time I go to help with focus at the HS and there is only 2 or 3 of us and I wish we had a RFU I start thinking, why has no one reverse engineered this yet, dropped it into an arduino based box and gave it an IP address?

Then I google around, and see there is nothing really out there and go to bed.

It's a project that myself and another lighting designer I work with a lot have considered doing this summer. We need a logic analyzer to start...

Hello, I have recently managed to control my school etc express board wirelessly from my ipod touch. Basically there is a app called Control in the appstore, it's used for midi control, and you can add custom interfaces fairly easily. I got a interface for it, built by the great Joey Ferguson, the TD of Theater aurora in ontario(he is on this forum). This interface sends a midi command to my computer, which then routes it to the lightboard, via a usb to midi cable. (15$ on amazon ) These midi commands tell the board to fire certain macros. Each macro does have to be manually programmed to run a set of keys. for example, in the control app interface, there is a button called @60% this button sends the command to fire macro #1. So you would have to program macro #1 to [at] [60] . Now if your still interested in this, just tell me, and I can post some more detailed instructions or maybe an instructional video.

Joey Ferguson should get all credit for this idea and design, he built everything and was incredibly helpful to me along the way.

Edit: I did not realize that joey had already posted on this thread, but my offer for more detailed instructions or a video still stands

Last edited:
That would still be great! I have a usb-midi interface and there is a computer within reach of the controller, the only problem is I'm not sure I'm finding the right app. If you could also link to the iTunes store page to the app that would be great.

Thank you!
Cody

Did you ever get a responce from joeyfergie? I would also love the code, been looking for something like this to experiment with.

I have been able to wirelessly control my ETC Express, using an iPod Touch and MIDI. I use an App called Control, where you can create interfaces that send customizable MIDI commands. I then send these commands to a computer via wifi, then these commands are routed to a USB-MIDI converter, sending the MIDI command into the Express. These MIDI commands then trigger programmed Macros, which are either a single button (Cue, Dimmer, Channel, etc) or a series of buttons (Chan 1 @ FL, etc). Works well for me. I can share the code (hasn't been updated in a while unfortunately because I have been busy), but has always worked for me. And since it is just an iOS app, it can be run from any iTouch, iPad or iPhone, given the user has access to the interface and the network.

Would you be willing to share the code? It would be so helpful to experiment with!

Hello, I have recently managed to control my school etc express board wirelessly from my ipod touch. Basically there is a app called Control in the appstore, it's used for midi control, and you can add custom interfaces fairly easily. I got a interface for it, built by the great Joey Ferguson, the TD of Theater aurora in ontario(he is on this forum). This interface sends a midi command to my computer, which then routes it to the lightboard, via a usb to midi cable. (15$ on amazon ) These midi commands tell the board to fire certain macros. Each macro does have to be manually programmed to run a set of keys. for example, in the control app interface, there is a button called @60% this button sends the command to fire macro #1. So you would have to program macro #1 to [at] [60] . Now if your still interested in this, just tell me, and I can post some more detailed instructions or maybe an instructional video.

Joey Ferguson should get all credit for this idea and design, he built everything and was incredibly helpful to me along the way.

Edit: I did not realize that joey had already posted on this thread, but my offer for more detailed instructions or a video still stands

I know its an old post, but ABSOLUTELY. I would love anything you have to offer to help build this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know its an old post, but ABSOLUTELY. I would love anything you have to offer to help build this.

Yup, got it working like a charm. I'm no longer working in that theater, but I can forward you all the emails between Joey and I, that contain most of the information you'll need. Kinda spotty, but just feel free to email me and I'll try to answer most of your questions. So just PM me your email and I'll pass that along.

I also wouldn't mind having this App. My setup is already functioning with a computer to USB midi controlled by Venue Magic. But for a lamp check from being out in the arena would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back