ETC Link/ ECTNet

[user]peacefulone61[/user] see this article for help getting started with the Mac500's and your board.

More photos would be infinitely helpful. From the looks of what you posted already, it would seem that there should be some DMX output nodes located around the theatre. If not nodes then at least cat5 (ethernet) drops that run back to that panel in the booth. As each of the ports is labeled with a position, I would suggest checking each position for the other end of those lines. If there is not actually a node there, then hopefully there is a box with an RJ-45 (ethernet) jack.

Your dimmers and the MAC500s get their data via DMX. From your second photo it appears that you have at least one DMX run from the console (grey cable with the XLR-5 connector). You should determine where the other end of that cable is. Odds are it goes to your dimmers, possibly by way of in-wall wiring with wall mounted jacks. It is possible that before it gets to the dimmers it goes through a splitter. If this is the case, you might have a line from the splitter to the dimmers and one to the moving lights.

We can be of lots of help if you can walk us through the layout of the control cables. Take lots of photos.

If you want to really test your MAC500s, you should take them down and connect them directly to the console via DMX. This will eliminate any funkiness that may be in the line and chain of equipment between the console and the lights. This will let you know if the problems lie with the fixtures or the data path. If you need help addressing and patching the fixtures, let us know.

I found the ethernet boxes corresponding with the labels on the panel. The DMX cable out of the back of the board goes to an analog/dmx converter. But there is another dmx input into it, so I think that must be the line from MACs.

Are there resources in training for newer lighting systems, workshops or classes? my college had scroll changers that were battier drill operated, so my dmx training is a bit lacking.

Thanks guys

System Layout.

There is an Un-air-conditioned room that has two 24 racks of analog dimmers and an 18 pack that handles the house lights. there is a Patch system using three pin that connects about half the circuits in the theater leaving the other half to be directly inputted. From both of these boxes there is a controller cable that goes to a DMX converter and is run through the wall as DMX

The DMX goes into a responce converter box Box then comes out and goes to the board. into the first universe

there is also an ethernet cable that runs out of the board and goes to a POE box (power over ethernet) then into a wall pannal (see above Photo with 5 drop points over the house.

The board is patched as a 1 to 1 with some small exceptions any channel from 49-78 is addressed as a Moving light controller. when i looked at the patch page though there are some numbers missing and do not seem to be anywhere in the system.

What i need to know is first how do i control lights from multiple drop points when i only have one Ethernet point, Second. is there a way to switch the system over to DMX.

Thank you and please let me know if this was not clear.

You basically are running a DMX system except you have to convert to analog for the dimmers themselves. As suggested take one of your movers down and go straight to the board. If it works then consider running a new cable from your second universe to the movers, then you can address it totally above all your conventionals. Make sure the board is seeing them and they are patched as MLs so you can program with focus points and pallettes. Read your manual so you understand how that is done. As noted by the lighting company you don't have a ML friendly board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back