The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

ETC Sensor Problem

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by Robert F Jarvis, Mar 15, 2019 at 7:26 PM.

1. Robert F Jarvis

Robert F Jarvis Member

Noticed that when we turned OFF the Element 2 console, after about 5 seconds a lamp (#80) would light up! I can 'Reset' the SENSOR 48 (96 channel) dimmer rack to turn it off. Or it will go after itself after about 10/15 minutes.
    Checked no "Backup" program in system and changed out the 79/80 dimmer module to no avail. To preclude 'errant' DMX signals during shut down I went into blackout and then unplugged the DMX cable to cut off any transmissions. The light still came on! According to this then I really think the problem is in the dimmer rack but not sure how to proceed. I'm in the theatre during the evening so it would difficult to talk to ETC while at the rack. Ideas?

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Just to clarify, when you changed out the #79/80 dimmer module, did the lamp on dimmer 80 still light up?

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. Les

Les Well-Known Member

Sounds like a case of DMX Death Gasp. Is it always the same circuit/dimmer?

4. rphilip

rphilip Active Member

Actually not so, ETC’s support is 24x7, in the evening it might simply take them a few minutes to call you back.

Call them.

Philip

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

@Robert F Jarvis I believe ETC's technical support / help line is staffed 24 / 7 / 365. If you're in your theatre at your rack I'm not understanding why it would be difficult to contact ETC's technical support / help line.
    Toodleoo!
    Ron Hebbard

6. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

@Les Not likely "death gasp" if the OP has commanded a black out then disconnected the DMX cable controlling his rack. Am I incorrect?
    Toodleoo!
    Ron Hebbard.

7. Amiers

Amiers Lighting Phoenix 1 Lamp at a Time

I’d say it’s in the rack itself. Maybe a profile or settin for the specific channel.

RonHebbard likes this.
  8. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
    Probably not while changing.

RonHebbard likes this.
  9. JohnD

JohnD Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Dang, my comment was confusing. I was wondering if the problem stayed with the module or if the problem persisted when another module was placed in that slot. Now I rather think that @Les has the correct response.

10. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Try pulling the DMX at the rack especially if there is an opto-splitter involved. If the rack misbehaves, then the problem is quantified. If not, something is generating noise that is interpreted as a command.
    If it is at the rack, a CEM reset may clear it, if not, it's time for a phone call.

RonHebbard likes this.
  11. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
    Couldn't pass up a great straight line .

JohnD likes this.
  12. Robert F Jarvis

Robert F Jarvis Member

I think that is all I can do now. For other repliers, just to re-iterate; It is always #80 that comes up. Changing the 79/80 module or disconnecting the DMX cable does not change the situation I.E the light still comes up once the DMX signal disappears. And the rack was checked for any backup looks and cleared just in case. After about 15 minutes the light goes out by itself or I can turn it off straight away by resetting the CEM! So - bottom line it is something in the Rack/CEM and I will need that help from ETC. Hope to do this Monday or Tuesday and will advise for future reference.

JohnD and RonHebbard like this.
  13. RonaldBeal

RonaldBeal Active Member

Pull data to the rack, THEN reset the brain. Does it still come up?
    If you change the start address of the rack, does the problem stay with 80, or follow the address? (I.E. if the rack is addressed at 1, change it to 5... see what happens.

RonHebbard likes this.