Control/Dimming ETC Smartfade Issues/Help

Morning Controlbooth,

I haven't yet found a thread dedicated to troubleshooting Smartfade issues and specific technical questions, so I hope this thread can benefit those searching for that!

I'm operating on a SmartFade 2496 and I'm programming a show that uses more than 199 cues in the cue stack. Is it possible to record on multiple cue stacks on this console? Or would my best bet be to save Act I on one SD card and change it out for Act II?

(Actually, I know my best bet is to find a bigger console, but I don't think that's in the budget!)

Many thanks,

Eric

I have never used a SmartFade.

According to the tech specs, SmartFade has a single cue stack and is limited to 199 cues. I think your SD card solution may be the only way around this limitation. You might find a few more answers on the ETC SmartFade forum.

SD card swap is the way to go on this one. People do it all the time

You might experiment with incremental steps. I haven't done it on the smartfade, but the manual does list that there are 9 steps between each "major step". So, cue 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc. It would require a lot of renumbering of cues. I'd stick with the sd card swap, and tinker around with the incremental cues in the meantime. Calling those cues sucks, though, and it is a lot easier to do the show swap, and keep your numbering nice and easy.

The SmartFade actually only allows 199 cues including point cues. SD Card swap is the best bet if you cannot get another console. I've had to do this before with an ETC Microvision (with it's floppies of course!). I would also look at the possibility of a software based solution. Programs like MagicQ and LXConsole are free for one universe of control, and have almost unlimited Q's. MagicQ is definitely a bit tricky to learn, but is quite powerful. LXConsole is akin in interface to the Express, but is Mac only.

The SD card can handle multiple show files. Note that it can only create a few file names, but if you use a computer you can change them. SmartSoft is HIGHLY recommended as you can label things (files, cues, channels...) and track stuff far more easily.

You might test to see if you get a flicker when loading a new file. You might also need to have a manual cue up during the swap. That's a stunt I haven't tried yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back