Explosives

Edrick

Premium Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341439443.869447.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341439460.860224.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341439474.708599.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341439488.365777.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341439508.658542.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341439521.159816.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341439534.633526.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341439547.885644.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341439560.844178.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341439573.337820.jpg

Been there done that lol were all hiding in cars now severe lighting storm coming through and were still not done with setup.

Shows been canceled

That sucks, I helped with a decent sized show in high school and it's a lot of work to put in to have the show canceled.:cry:

Yeah it was a large show but we had torrential downpours and lightning and half the product got ruined even with it being tarpped the wind was bad

Re: Opps...

That's actually partially why we canceled the show, once the product got wet the packing that ignites and propels the product out of the tube might not have worked on every firework, even just one that doesn't launch can destroy the rack and cause a chain reaction. Basically you lite the fuse, instantly it ignites the materials that cause the firework to launch out of the mortar and then it shoots it a few hundred feet into the air and after x amount of time it ignites the powder and creates the firework. The powder used to create the big BOOM and colors wouldn't be of concern as unless it got soaked there's a good chance that would still go off. What was of concern was wether or not it'd launch out of the mortar and if it didn't it'd blow up the rack.

The San Diego show was by Garden State Fireworks:
Garden State Fireworks
This CBS story has some more info:
Company investigating San Diego fireworks fiasco - CBS News
Here is a quote from the CBS article:
"August Santore, part-owner in the company, said tens of thousands of fireworks on four barges and a pier had been prepared. But because of a glitch or virus in the computer firing system, they all went off with one command, he said.

"Thank goodness no one was injured. Precautions all worked 100 percent," Santore said."

Maybe David Rosenbaum (CreativeSPFX) will chime in - even though I know he is extremely busy. His company, Illumination Fireworks, LLC had 5 or 6 shows just yesterday (with several the days prior) so I'm sure they are doing a lot of unloading right now. I worked with him yesterday and in to the night on what was a HUGE and awesome show in the Dallas suburb of Frisco at Pizza Hut Park. What a great guy to work with! I'd post pics, but I'd better check with him first.

Last edited:

North Reading,

I like how they say a glitch OR computer "virus" caused it. If it was a virus the company should be in some hefty trouble for not making sure their environment was a clean one, especially something that runs the show. Now I think this was more so of a matter someone who doesn't know what's up was talking out of their rear end.

Yeah, I'm seeing a lawsuit in the future. Obviously the proper safety measures were not in place.

I don't know how much I can divulge, but I think I can say that on David's show (that I worked on), the system wasn't even turned on - let alone armed - until about 5 minutes before showtime. Then we ran a timecode pre-roll to make sure everything was communicating. If anyone could speculate, it'd be David.

Last edited:

You kids and your computer controlled firing systems.
We spent the 4th at joint base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst.
Tremendous displays lit by hand.

Also all types of aerial fireworks became LEGAL in Michigan this year, I think people have gone extra nuts this year on the fireworks.

Seems like an interesting policy reversal.
There are Indian reservations less than 1/2 hour from Seattle so people get all sorts of neat (illegal) fireworks.

You kids and your computer controlled firing systems.
We spent the 4th at joint base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst.
Tremendous displays lit by hand.

You kids? Don't you run digital sound and lighting consoles? lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back