Explosives

So, this is much more of a simplistic system than I imagined. It essentially is a computerized pinboard.

OK, so a lot of my previous thoughts couldn't help without a major redesign. It almost seems archaic when I think about the complexity of the events. Then again, when I'm thinking timelines, I am thinking non-linear video editing. This is more like cutting and splicing film (linear editing) like we did back in the day.

So, what do you use for indoor shows? How does it compare to this type of firing controller?

Glad you took a look. They really don't need to be complex. Simple = better. Less to go wrong. You can pop an ematch with a 9v battery. Most poeple have the theory of, only use a computer when it's necessary. To some degree, in our business, it's a selling point to say your system has been out X years and hasn't changed much. Firmware updates, and constant improvements aren't really seen as a great thing most of the time. Most want a system that's been out there, not messed with, and field tested/used for years.

Also, keep in mind this is one of dozens of different firing systems out there, but they all do the same thing at the end- just provide power to the specific output pin at a given time.

The issue in San Diego was on the same level as someone pushing the wrong button. You're just not going to prevent something like that. (Maybe a static shock to the user? Just kidding). This is professional equipment for professionals. They should just know how to use it.

Indoor or outdoor, it doesn't matter. You're still just providing current. Not all outdoor shows need a computer system, and not all indoor shows do. Just depends on the needs of the show. There are a lot of wireless options available, as well. If it's electronically fired, you need a firing system. In the end, it doesn't matter which one you want to use as long as it gets the job done. I know people who use FireOne even if they want to shoot just one effect for something. Is it overkill to use such a big/expensive system for one cue, probably, but that's the system they like the most and feel most comfortable with.

I will say that none of these effects are used indoors or in theater applications. It's just outdoor aerial displays. Much different set of rules for indoor.

So, what do you use for indoor shows? How does it compare to this type of firing controller?

Sorry to dredge this thread back up, but I thought I'd answer the question that ruinexplorer asked.

When CreativeSPFX mentioned a different set of rules, it was in relation to the products used; the controllers are the same. On an outdoor aerial show, things can be chained together and often are. On an indoor show, both the product is different (rated for indoor, proximate use) and every individual effect is e-matched. This would allow you to stop firing at any time. Sure, a command could still be set to "fire all effects at once", but you wouldn't have the "runaway" situation that happened on the San Diego show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back