Extra rope on fly rail

Footer

Senior Team
Senior Team
Premium Member
What is the rope to the side of the lock that is not the purchase line used for? The line is about 3' long and secured to the rail with an eye bolt. Usual QOTD rules apply.

proxy.php

sent from my HTC Incredible

I would say that someone has finally spent the time to permanently attach the a rope to snub (spelling?) the line when needed.

I would agree with Wolf. Instead of having a few loose snub lines around, someone just attached one for each line.

Are they safe to use? When would they be used?

1a.) In the picture, does the knot attaching the sash cord to the eyebolt have a specific name, and if so, what is it?
1b.) Why is the 16/17 knot reversed from 19/20?

2.) Is the Third Electric: a. Above, b. Below, or c. Coinciding with, its designated trim?

Last edited:

1a.) In the picture, does the knot attaching the sash cord to the eyebolt have a specific name, and if so, what is it?

2.) Is the Third Electric: a. Above, b. Below, or c. Coinciding with, its designated trim?

Footer - In my learnings they are safe to use. When I was first shown one it was to indicate to others that the line was at trim and should not be moved (an electric for example), but I believe that they can also be used to help secure a line that is slightly out of weight. NOT a lock by any means but a way to assist when loading a back drop.

Derek - 1. Not sure....:oops:
2. The 3rd Electric is B. bellow its designated trim

I'm just taking a shot in the dark here but this is what I would use them for, I would use them to tie around the brake or something to let everyone else know that there is, has been or will be some form of weight change that needs to be adjusted. For example when you add or remove lights from an electric.

I've heard stories of what happens when someone doesn't know an electric is out of weight and goes and takes the brake off and I've seen what it can do to your hands if you hold on, it's not a pretty sight.

Again just a guess. That's my two cents on it.

Ooh! Ooh! Mr. Kotter, Mr Koter, I know, I know. Its for the fly guy to tie around his waist so he doesn't get washed overboard......... Right! :)

Michael Powers, Project Manager
ETCP Certified Rigger - Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment Inc.
675 NE 45th Place, Des Moines, Iowa, 50313

Ooh! Ooh! Mr. Kotter, Mr Koter, I know, I know. Its for the fly guy to tie around his waist so he doesn't get washed overboard......... Right! :)

Michael Powers, Project Manager
ETCP Certified Rigger - Theatre
Central Lighting & Equipment Inc.
675 NE 45th Place, Des Moines, Iowa, 50313

washed overboard = falling off the edge of the stage, right? OOF! Mebbe we oughter install a couple of these!
running. ducking. and hiding....:cool::cool::cool:

1a. Two Half hitches is the knot (try to make it harder nex time...)
1b. ? someone was knot paying attention... (pun intended)
2. Third electric is AT trim

Is there a standard way to mark trim on ropes? I've been taught to spike at the top of the lock handle, and where the rope enters the lock.

Is there a standard way to mark trim on ropes? I've been taught to spike at the top of the lock handle, and where the rope enters the lock.

There are many different ways, I will throw out that you should never spike to the top of the handle because the handle is down when you are moving the piece therefor you have no reference.

So, people of CB, how does YOUR house mark trims?

Also, if one was to use those ropes to secure an out of weight lineset, how much weight could it safely hold?

1a. They are larks head knots.
1b. I believe 19 is a left handed larks head.

Larks head knots are also called cow hitches and girth hitches.

2). My guess would be above, but it could also be below, or coinciding, depending on what level rail we are at, and what identification method the venue uses.

This line would/should be used to tie a safety hitch, given its length, I would assume in this case they would use a stopper hitch.

Also, if one was to use those ropes to secure an out of weight lineset, how much weight could it safely hold?

How thick is the rope, how old is it, and what is its composition. Also, how old is it?

I'm not really interested in breaking strength, more asking how would you attach it to the purchase line and how much weight would you put on it?

From the picture, and the length of the rope, a safety hitch to attach, and maybe 50-75 lbs without knowing more details.

I would also have the backwards one retied correctly first.

It's 1/2 inch, cotton sash cord, commonly used to rig travelers.

1) What are the advantages of using this type of rope for the pictured application?

2) What are the disadvantages?

1) It will allow for a better grip due to its smaller diameter. All the force is on this line instead of the tension block and the guides. A stopper hitch (as well as a prusik knot) can be slipped to remove the load from the deck in a controlled manner.

2) Cotton is not as strong as other materials, it is the weakest natural fiber. It has very bad shock absorption. If one of the knots is improperly tied it could result in a runaway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back