Conventional Fixtures Favorite Gel Color

im a relatively new designer, but after hitting the swatches for an day or two i feel that i gravitate to certain color filters over others. What are some of your favorites and how would you employ them.as an cyc wash i personally love rosco's r21(golden amber) and r24(scarlet) it causes a bloody sky look. it looks great in contrast to sharp shadows.

Last edited:
Re: favorite gels

i enjoy no color pink but for blue i enjoy rosco 68.

I always buy Roscoux because it's made with two sheets of plastic and the color painted in the middle. Rosco e-color, and the other companies' products paint the color on the side of one piece of plastic. I think Roscolux lasts longer.

Two No fail color combos:

For Comedy:
33-Pink for warm side
52-Surprise pink as neutral
60-No color blue for cool side

For Drama:
01/02-Amber for warm side (sentimental drama)
OR
06-No color straw for warm side (harsh drama)
99-Chocolate as neutral... yeah I know it looks brown, but it works

My favorite color in the book? 39 Skeleton Exotic Sangria... shine it on a cyc or through Cheese cloth... Wow what a beautiful color.

Last edited:

R39 for s4 beams and punch light for concerts. No/co blue R60 for gobos during concerts.

midnight scenes i use r83 very beautiful did me wonders for midsummer nights dream! no color blue seems to be quite popular with gobos.
for dance concerts i love using alot of sidelights with no colors but it just gives a frying on stage look. but i would only do that for a rock n roll type of thing possibly stravinsky too!
wow i love hearing other design ideas, helps me branch out

L119.... use it for bax and cyc... its an amazing color.... blows the hell out of r83

R67 for front and either R80 or R83 for back for a night scene. my 3 favorite blues. i also really like R339 and R318

I hate to be hypocritical and dig up old threads but I just found a swashbook I got at Thespian State Conference. I'm not a designer, but R88 and R27 make me happy.

Actually that's very funny that you bumped this thread, I was JUST thinking that there should be one earlier today.

I always have problems because my favorite colors are always high-sat and low light transmissions, so I go crazy because everything gets dark. :(

I actually use Rosco #3206 Third Blue on my lights; though then again my Parellispheres are using EGG's so the color temperature is probably a lot warmer than most other people's. For what its worth though, #74 Night Blue is awesome.

I think these forums need another thread, too. "Most Hated Gels." (That'd get filled up a lot quicker, I'd think.)

Just talked with a Rosco rep and they have a few new colors coming out. One is "light bastard amber"... I think he said it would be 301. It's a really nice looking color. It's been specificly designed as a color correction for Source 4's. Check it out. I'm getting a few sheets on my next trip to the toy store.

LEE 181 is the coolest

Does anybody have some thoughts on color choices for an Argentinian Tango performance? VERY sexy stuff, a couple pieces more light and modern, but mostly a lot of sexiness.

I'm laying out a lot of side lighting, back lighting and shin busters.
thanks!

I did a dance show with a lot of tango about 5 years ago. I used a lot of Red (R27) and Deep Amber (R22) and good old R02. I think there was one set where the dancer was in red so I went for the blue moonlight instead (R74).

Is there a costumer you can check with about colors? You can make those beautiful dresses look pretty bad with the wrong gel choice.

For that sexy style dance I love R68, R39, R22, R27, etc.

I don't really have any favorites, they all have their uses, the only one I really don't like is R99.

Mike

Does anybody have some thoughts on color choices for an Argentinian Tango performance? VERY sexy stuff, a couple pieces more light and modern, but mostly a lot of sexiness.

I'm laying out a lot of side lighting, back lighting and shin busters.
thanks!

Here's a copy of the Tango Fire plot that we've had twice the past few years. Nice design, nice palette

SB

Attachments

• Tango Fire 2008.pdf
    272.8 KB · Views: 357

I would have to say my favorite gel color is N/C, only because it contains all the colors of the spectrum. ;)

I used to be a rosco fan and would use nothing but rosco.....I have now switched over to Lee because I think their gels last longer, especially their deep blues in front of S4pars....but that's just my opinion. They also have deeper lavs and reds for R & R type lighting.

I would have to say my favorite gel color is N/C, only because it contains all the colors of the spectrum. ;)

I would have to say that, though it's the cheesiest thing I've heard in... well...ever...I have to agree...

But to just pick one or two, R366 Jordan Blue is one of my favorites, as well as AP3000 Simply Mauvelous, and L705 Lily Frost.

I don't know why, but they all appeal to me in their own unique way...

I always buy Roscoux because it's made with two sheets of plastic and the color painted in the middle. Rosco e-color, and the other companies' products paint the color on the side of one piece of plastic. I think Roscolux lasts longer.

Two No fail color combos:

For Comedy:
33-Pink for warm side
52-Surprise pink as neutral

For Drama:
01/02-Amber for warm side (sentimental drama)
OR
06-No color straw for warm side (harsh drama)
99-Chocolate as neutral... yeah I know it looks brown, but it works

My favorite color in the book? 39 Skeleton Exotic Sangria... shine it on a cyc or through Cheese cloth... Wow what a beautiful color.

Agree with you about R39.
Fail safe combo for Musicals??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back