The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

FEL and FLK

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by propmonkey, Dec 24, 2004.

1. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Shelf life... Interesting. I have a number of lamps left over from my days in the 1980s so they are over 35 years old. Mainly PARS, NSP, VNSP. They all seem to work fine. Even have an old box of FEL lamps. They work too.

2. ship

ship Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

19.5+ years where I work and many lamps long pre-dating me. Have to inventory every year lamps. But more, I have heard or toyed with this filament sag idea or problem. One would think it possible or feasible a shelf life for filament lamps.

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. DELO72

DELO72 Well-Known Member

Shelf life of a lamp is typically based around the condition of the potting cement. Once the potting cement crumbles and dries out (8-15 years depending on humidity, environment of the storage area?), then the lamp capsule isn't supported well in the base and shouldn't be used. But the inside burner/capsule components typically don't go bad over time from lack of use, so really it's just the potting cement that "goes bad" in my experience.

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. DELO72

DELO72 Well-Known Member

I disagree on the GLA > GLC. If you buy a GLA you get a long life, dim lamp. If you buy a GLC you get a High Output, normal life lamp. AND-- if you run that GLC at ~90% intensity, you get a GLA. I'd rather have TWO options out of one lamp than only one option. :)

FMEng and RonHebbard like this.