Fire and water effect

Hello, I need a way to project fire and water onto the backdrop. I have seen commercial units but they are out of my budget, anyone know how they work or any other way to do it?
Thanks, Alan

Can't help with fire, but I did a water effect once.
I hung a fresnel as a shin buster and focused it down into a pan of water with a mirror on the bottom. A small fan on the water added movement. It looked pretty good and didn't cost nothin'...

Well, if you cant afford a FilmFX unit, I am assuming that a projector is probably out of the budget. I like the water idea, its a cheap and probably effective method of making a water effect. For the fire, do you actually need to see the flames? If not, you could probably get a few different split gels put into Source 4s, and use those in a very dim flicker to make it look like there is a fire throwing light onto the backdrop. I have never done fire without a filmFX of a projector, so thats just my best guess.

Tex and Shiben have nailed it. If you don't have the budget to rent a couple of gobo rotators and buy a few gobos then you are sort of stuck.

Your other options are the pan of water and flickering lights for fire. When I did the water, I got an I.V. tube from my wife (a nurse) and stuck it in a 2 liter bottle. Set up my own 2 liter I.V. drip. Worked perfectly for creating ripples in the water.

Where do you live? We can help you find a local rental house to contact. I was just going through my local rental catalog and there are dozens of ways you could do a fire or water effect starting about $40 a week per effect.

And if your clever, you can use the same filmFX unit to do both the fire and water effect, using a scroller to change the color. I guess this works because the fire and water loops are similar. Not sure how realistic either would be, but if your really tight on the budget, you could probably make it work.

Also, I was just surfing around the Apollo site, and if you pulled the chesey sun template, this would look good as a fire

http://www.apollodesign.net/Support/CreativeFX/Effect.aspx?ID=1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back