First Moving head suggestions

lightingguy1

Well, for under a grand if they crap out you know it is basically a loss.

Keep in mind the amount of moving parts in an LED par is slightly less than the amount in a moving light....

If you can afford them, I've heard excellent things about the Elation Platinum Spot 5R units. Under $2k with the awesome new Phillips 5R lamp. Plus the fixtures are small, take less power, and have a decent selection of stock gobos as well as a very complete featureset.

Hoever, before I go off recommending a whole bunch of different things, what's the purpose? What do you plan to use the fixtures for?

Well, for under a grand if they crap out you know it is basically a loss.

Keep in mind the amount of moving parts in an LED par is slightly less than the amount in a moving light....

I remember seeing a reply to the thread of "Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows"

And some teenager had a Some NW lighting fx movers under the direction of CHAMSYS Q on mac. I'm still trying to find that certain poster..... If you would like to go thru and skim aswelll, It would help to Find one person who has had experience with them...

Thnx!
-lightingguy1

If you can afford them, I've heard excellent things about the Elation Platinum Spot 5R units. Under $2k with the awesome new Phillips 5R lamp. Plus the fixtures are small, take less power, and have a decent selection of stock gobos as well as a very complete featureset.

Hoever, before I go off recommending a whole bunch of different things, what's the purpose? What do you plan to use the fixtures for?

The purpose is to Use them/it in this Performing arts center and some local marina Jobs aswell:

proxy.php

I have seen that Fixture, The only set back to that unit is it only has like 8 colors.

awesome, pm him to come post in this thread and lets see if those lights still work!

At least he will be at a marina so he can easily sell off those boat anchors when they die....

There have been a few people who have used the chinese knock offs around here. They report pretty well when they first get them. I have yet to hear a follow up. I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. Remember, you get what you pay for. If its show critical gear, spend the cash.

I would like to present this opinion of the Pass Spot 575 12 Channel Moving Head, on behalf of DHSLXOP:

"I personally love the NW Lighting FX fixtures. They are a decent beginning or low budget moving light, and can be used for both theatrical and DJ/Party type events. However, I have a number of things to warn you about:

(1)The company is located in Seattle, Washington...and that is their only location. So the problem that I had was that when they shipped from Seattle to South Florida, they had some minor damage (the color wheel in one fixture and the prism in another were both misaligned) However, their customer service was great and they were able to send me new fixtures that worked. While the company isn't a bad company, the fact that they had to travel across the country damaged them. The other thing about them is that, since they only have one location in Washington, there are no certified repair shops to fix them if something were to go wrong - you have to send them back to them.

(2) There are many different varieties of fixture that they sell - the ones that I own only have a color wheel, a gobo wheel, and a prism - there are other models that have cmy mixing, and iris, etc. so make sure you look carefully so you can get the features you want (obviously, the prices go up as more features are included)

(3) They use 3 pin DMX - so unless your console sends out a signal in 3 pin, you will have to buy converters from 3 pin to 5 pin

Other than those things, and based on your experience with moving fixtures may or may not be an issue, I think that they are a good product - well worth the money. I would not have paid any more than I did for my fixtures, as they are clearly not as versatile as a Martin or other high end brand moving fixture - but for a small company in Washington, it is a good product, and in my opinion, will get the job done."
-In fact, I Have heard that the Company actually has improved their shipping standards, so issuse # 1 may not be an issue after all!

@Footer, He was been using this units since July 20th, 2008, Go look at "Hey, I though we could share pictures of our shows".

let's assemble a timeline shall we:

1) He wrote a post on sharing pics of his show. - July 20th, 2008

2) He sent the opinion above on September 27th, 2010

He didn't mention ANY current problems with the fixtures to date.........

Do the math(logic actually)....... THEY STILL WORK 2-3 YEARS LATER(he could of had them longer)!!

(And after the pyro smoke settles, the curtain falls, and house lights illuminate)
Thnx
-Lightingguy1

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can sleep at night using blatant Martin rip-offs, go for it. However, I can not. If you argue they are not martin rip-offs, its time to open your eyes. CB is not the place to come to discuss products that are reverse engineered patent violators. CB survives by support from companies that pour millions into R&D to make great products. We do not want to see the companies that rip-off patent holders get a voice on CB.

Martins Mac 250...
proxy.php

NW Lighting FX Rip Off Mac 250...
proxy.php

I could do that for nearly every light they make. If you do buy these, know that not only are you supporting a company that stole their design, but you run the high risk that you are going to lose one in a show situation. You can wish all you want that these are at the same quality of the Martin fixtures, but they are not.

At least he will be at a marina so he can easily sell off those boat anchors when they die....
I was thinking, at least in a marina he'd be close to water when they go up in flames... :twisted:

I totally understand what your saying, but for a 15 year old I think I might want to save $ and not spend $2000 on one light. Yes I understand that this company has done all of this crap, and I do wish I could afford a $2000 Martin mac 250 krypton fixture, but I can't.

Now i guess I will go crawl underneath a rock and keep my mouth shut about this fixture......

Sorry I even brought it up

Lightingguy1

I totally understand what your saying, but for a 15 year old I think I might want to save $ and not spend $2000 on one light. Yes I understand that this company has done all of this crap, and I do wish I could afford a $2000 Martin mac 250 krypton fixture, but I can't.

Now i guess I will go crawl underneath a rock and keep my mouth shut about this fixture......

Lightingguy1

We all understand limited funds. Buy all the crappy chinese LED's you want. Those things are not infringing on anything. The electronics are pretty solid and they work well for what they are. The price is certainly right. We don't want to see you spend your hard earned money on something that is just going to fall apart on you. We also have all been in the point where you want to amass a ton of cool toys, especially when you are young. Right now, hold onto your cash. If you need a mover, see if you can't rent it to use. For the amount you want to spend, you can rent a mac-250 for 8 weeks or more.

We just want you to make good investments. Unless you fully expect these lights to pay for themselves in a year, it would be much better to buy used Mac 250's for about the same price; which will more than likely still outlive these NW lights.

Really, the BEST thing to do would be to put all that money in a savings account and just sit on it. It's a good time to do so; probably the best. You want your light show to be the best possible, but will you make any more money with moving heads than without? I understand the educational aspect also, but heck, you could buy a few mIn spots for that. Learning moving heads now is great, but surely you will get the chance to do that in the future, and with units you don't have to buy. Those fixtures will likely be better quality also.

Lightingguy1

Trust me i'm in the same boat, I wanted to get some cool lighting toys for my own personal use (as well as for getting inventory for a small gig type setup) but right now i'm at a mackie 24/4 mixer (but only has mono out, left channel is the only working channel, still need to take it apart to find out, bought used), 4 par 64's, 2 par 16's and gel frames for all.

I know the cool toys are awesome and I'd love to have some myself, i just don't have the money for them at the moment, But I am still not going to buy a blatent rip off of a respected companies product, while you may think you are saving money right now, you are actually going to spend more money in the long run. With the fact that the replacement parts are going to be more spendy, they will break down much faster, (i noticed he did not mention when he serviced them and how often) and for the quality of the service that you are getting with the product. I have worked with both martins and the cheap knock off and i can tell you they are by no means similar in quality, you will notice a tremendous amount of lag between console command and ML function, martin mac 550's took aprox 1 sec to respond on a 15 foot run while the knock offs took almost 3 full seconds. So remember YOU ARE PAYING FOR JUNK.

This is by no means an attack on you, its merely stating a fact that you can either A: read and work off it, or B: ignore completely and be angry later.

Ok....I think I need to put in my 2 cents, considering lightingguy1's original post was from information that I posted.

Now, before I start, I want to just say that I agree completely with (and respect) Footer's opinion about the instruments being knock-offs of Martin Products, and them not being as reliable as Martins or other brands (and a lot of the other information that other posters posted about not getting them) HOWEVER:

The NW Lighting FX fixtures are a reliable fixture within reason. Yes, they company's home is in Washington State, and there are no other more-local re-sellers of this particular product. So yes, when they do break, you do have to ship them back out across the country. However, the only problems that I have had with them were (1) the fixtures arriving with a broken color wheel and prism {which is not the fault of the company, that is the fault of the shipping company not being careful with a flight case that says fragile on it} and (2) wear and tear on the fixtures for not transporting them properly - the only way I was able to transport them between theatres (I freelanced with them, and they otherwise lived in my garage) was in my Dad's truck - not the most reliable way to move moving lights around. So while yes, I have had some issues with them, I believe that those issues are not from the lights themselves, and that they are a reliable fixture. Also, I have gotten rental martins (mac 2000 profiles) that were even more unreliable - the fuses in the fixtures were blowing at least twice a day, to the point where we had to take them back to the rental shop and get new fixtures (that worked fine)

Another thing is that I originally bought these fixtures to learn the concepts involving moving lights. I had some money saved up that I decided to spend - and you know what, my productions have been aided greatly by having them - I believe that they have been a good investment on my part. Not to mention the experience I got with them was amazing. No they are not Martin fixtures - but, when I first used a Martin this past January, I understood the concepts in both programming the fixture and in how the fixture worked and thought. I was able to comprehend how the light spun, and what each component on the inside was doing to make it work. I didn't have to question anyone about what a prism or color wheel or pan or tilt was because I already knew what they were and how to use them. And I believe that that is the most valuable skill of owning my lights - I could practice for hours in an empty theatre (I used my lights during the summer at a camp that I worked at), and truthfully hone my craft of programming moving lights - not something that I could do in 2 weeks of tech when I had to focus on incorporating cues.

So in short, while the fixtures may not be the best fixtures in the world, they do get their job done, and have taught me a ton about lighting.

So again, no disrespect to anyone on this board - I just wanted to contribute my opinion.

Hello all,

To update, I'm going to get a demo of the same fixture DHSLXOP has, for the annual production of dessert and a show my school chorus program puts on. I am going to try to rig them while under the direction of The tech director... Which I'm going to put at least 5 safety cables on each light..... I will post pictures on a new thread afterwards, if everything goes smoothly.....

Actually DHSLXOP, did you ever have latency issues with DMX in these fixtures?

Thnx

Last edited:
Hello all,

To update, I'm going to get a demo of the same fixture DHSLXOP has, for the annual production of dessert and a show my school chorus program puts on. I am going to try to rig them while under the direction of The tech director... Which I'm going to put at least 5 safety cables on each light..... I will post pictures on a new thread afterwards, if everything goes smoothly.....

Actually DHSLXOP, did you ever have latency issues with DMX in these fixtures?

Thnx

I don't believe I ever have had any issues with latency that I've noticed. Also, I have hung the fixtures before and they have held up fine. Just make sure you tighten the clamps to the fixture tight - just like you would with any other light.

Okay, again I ask, does anyone have proof that these are reverse engineered ripoffs? I mean you can say they look the same until your face turns blue but I doubt that holds up in court as "proof". Does anyone know for a fact that they are using the same software? If so, how do you know?

I am not saying that is not the case, but I know of several companies (Irradiant, Blizzard, etc) that build good quality movers (for what they are, they are not Vari-Lites by any means) for a good price. I hate for people to mean mouth these companies without knowing 100% with proof that they stole the software.

To the OP, take a look at Blizzards Polaris unit. Very well built, LED source, light output is similar to the MAC250. It does lack some of the bells and whistles, but is a good starting unit at a great price.

Of course the American DJ and Elation VIZI spot units are also great units at a good price and they have the output of a 575W unit.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back