First Moving head suggestions

It's not the software copying that's the crime with moving lights, software is the crime for console. It's copying the innards of a moving light part for part that is the crime. However, since the lights are being imported in to the US and sold in the US, I'm gonna hazard a guess that they're legal. That doesn't mean they aren't blatant ripoffs, though - the exact details of the head design and yoke design of the MAC250 series have been copied to the NW fixture, which is apparently a series of generic movers from China that the owner of NW imports. When plastic molding details like that are copied it's pretty obvious. I heard that he designs the LED fixtures himself, however, which is awesome. So essentially I'd consider buying NW LED fixtures but not movers.

Blizzard also has some fixtures that are designed after other fixtures - Chauvet in particular, and the owner even says that he wanted to improve on fixtures like Chauvet's, if I remember right. However they have a lot of other fixtures which seem to be very well designed and have great output for LED movers like the Polaris that Esoteric mentioned. Take a look at that.

And I'll throw in another recommendation for the ADJ VIZI Spot 5R, the cheaper version of the Platinum Spot 5R.

Keep in mind to "improve upon" and to "copy" or "ripoff" are two different things. If the second were illegal or immoral then ETC would be being sued by Altman. I have no problem with what Blizzard is doing on any of their products. All the fixtures are designed by him even though they are produced in China. I feel the same about WDM and Irradiant.

I have never opened (or even bought) one of those NW Lighting movers. I don't know personally if they look the same as the MAC250 on the inside or not. But considering Martin is a Danish (I think) company I would think they would have international patents on their equipment, so if there were grounds to bring suit, I am sure they would.

Seeing as how they haven't, I am not sure anyone can say that they have proof that these are illegal knock offs.

Mike

DHSLXOP-- Have you worked with mac250s? If so, ARE the NW units exactly copied from the mac250s? That or can you post a picture of the inside of the head of one? I'm sure someone on here has a mac250 within easy reach to compare to (preferable to post a picture of as well so we can all draw our own conclusions).

DHSLXOP-- Have you worked with mac250s? If so, ARE the NW units exactly copied from the mac250s? That or can you post a picture of the inside of the head of one? I'm sure someone on here has a mac250 within easy reach to compare to (preferable to post a picture of as well so we can all draw our own conclusions).

I have only used the 250 in an extent of hanging them while working on an electrics load-in for a rental. I don't really remember how the two fixtures compare. I'm away at school (I'm in Boston, the lights are in Florida) but I think my dad has watched me open them up enough to know how to do it - I can ask him to try and get a picture.

To all you who are following this post:

NW lighting FX isn't the only who is doing this!
check out these movers:

:: G-Lites ::

And the worst part about these movers are the price! The 575s is like 3k, AND IT IS STILL COMING FROM CHINA!!!!!!

But I'm still going to get a demo for my school's show.

Thnx!
-Lightingguy1

I have only used the 250 in an extent of hanging them while working on an electrics load-in for a rental. I don't really remember how the two fixtures compare. I'm away at school (I'm in Boston, the lights are in Florida) but I think my dad has watched me open them up enough to know how to do it - I can ask him to try and get a picture.

Thank you. I'm actually rather interested in whether they are actual copies because a group I work with is looking at these. The fact that NW Lighting is in the US and is not being sued by Martin makes me inclined to think they are not illegal. However if they turn out to be complete clones it would negatively influence my recommendations!

@DHSLXOP

- How loud are they when operating in a normal state? Also, When you have fast mechanical changes within the instrument, Can you hear it?

Thnx for posting in this thread!
-Lightingguy1

@DHSLXOP

- How loud are they when operating in a normal state? Also, When you have fast mechanical changes within the instrument, Can you hear it?

Thnx for posting in this thread!
-Lightingguy1

To be completely honest, I've generally been far enough away from the lights (ie: in the booth and they're sitting on stage) to not hear anything. I don't know what its like if you are in the audience. And when programming them, I haven't really paid attention to how loud they are because I've focused my attention on what they are doing, not necessarily how loud they are. Sorry I can't be more helpful on this one....

More is not necessarily better. Read the manual and put the recommended number of cables in the places that the instructions tell you to. It doesn't matter how many safety cables you put on if they're in the wrong place...

True that! I meant, To have one safety cable hooked on where it's supposed to go and have two on each carrying handle just in case.....

Thnx!
-Lightingguy1

True that! I meant, To have one safety cable hooked on where it's supposed to go and have two on each carrying handle just in case.....

Thnx!
-Lightingguy1

You might scratch the idea of safety cabling the handles. I doubt they're shock rated for the load they would endure if the light fell, and if they catch before the dedicated safety cable attachment point does, you might have plastic body pieces falling in to the audience, or whatever happens to be below the fixtures.

to the people who are concerned with whether these fixture are reverse engineered,

You should do a google search for "stone 2048"........

Hmmmmm...Looks quit familiar to an Avolites product.

Thnx!
-Lightingguy1

to the people who are concerned with whether these fixture are reverse engineered,

You should do a google search for "stone 2048"........

Hmmmmm...Looks quit familiar to an Avolites product.

Thnx!
-Lightingguy1

If you didn't catch the recent thread to this effect, those consoles are indeed reverse engineered and use the exact same software as avolites. The software is indeed pirated, and if you read the recent thread to this effect, even directing people to a place where they can purchase a Stone 2048 is banned on the site. The reason that they get away with this is that they only sell direct from china, you can't buy the consoles from a US distributor. The consoles are also insanely unreliable with flaky faders, bad rollacues, crashing, and numerous other issues. That's reverse engineered the Chinese way for ya - looks the same, but doesn't feel the same, and craps out when you need it most. So you have just provided a perfect example as why to not buy reverse engineered lights.

Last edited:
If you didn't catch the recent thread to this effect, those consoles are indeed reverse engineered and use the exact same software as avolites. The software is indeed pirated, and if you read the recent thread to this effect, even directing people to a place where they can purchase a Stone 2048 is banned on the site. The reason that they get away with this is that they only sell direct from china, you can't buy the consoles from a US distributor. The consoles are also insanely unreliable with flaky faders, bad rollacues, crashing, and numerous other issues. That's reverse engineered the Chinese way for ya - looks the same, but doesn't feel the same, and craps out when you need it most. So you have just provided a perfect example as why to not buy reverse engineered lights.

Ran a show for a church this weekend with one of these. It is indeed reverse engineered software. They don't even bother to hide it very well. Which is why I won't even point people to these products anymore. These are certainly rip offs and should be illegal.

But as far as feel and use. I didn't notice much of a difference between it and a real AVO to be honest (and I used AVOs for years). They have had theirs for two years. Still works perfectly. There is the rub of China Inc. The stuff can last forever or it might blow up the next day. Of course I have been on a 2 day old Hog that crapped out on me too. The difference is that there is a MUCH greater chance of that happening with China Inc gear.

Just like I always recommend a DFD Opto Splitter over something like an AMDJ Splitter. Although this is a cause of quality rather than clear intellectual property infringement.

Mike

So I'm going to hijack this thread for maybee more than a second...(srry)

But here is last year's "Dessert and a Show"

last year's theme was Not a another High school musical...

All of the elements of the show were written by the students..except the lighting of course :lol:

Attachments

• Dessert n show 2009.JPG
    Dessert n show 2009.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Dessert n show 2009-3.JPG
    Dessert n show 2009-3.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Dessert n show 2009-4.JPG
    Dessert n show 2009-4.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 197
  • Dessertn show 2009-5.JPG
    Dessertn show 2009-5.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 187
  • Desert n show 2009-6.JPG
    Desert n show 2009-6.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Desert n show 2009.JPG
    Desert n show 2009.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 214
  • Dessert n show 2009-7.JPG
    Dessert n show 2009-7.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 182
NW Lighting FX Moving Head lights

Jeff Lord -Alge here ,
Owner of iMix Productions . Yes Chris and Tom Lord-Alge are my siblings.
Just wanted to share some thoughts about inexpensive intelligent light products from NW Lighting FX.
I own 12 of their moving heads (8 of the 9 channel 250s and 4 of the 16 channel 250s)
I have used them on at least 500 shows since purchaseing them 4 years ago.
They have performed flawlessly . With the exception of the the odd igniter replacement or bulb I have had no issues .
Bill from NW lighting has been very helpfull in getting me parts asap and has honored the warranty periods ( 1 year from purchase ) on any parts.
I do about 250 shows a year and use these lights for the lower budget projects that can't afford a lot of the high end gear . Club gigs , small ballrooms , regional acts , corporate , weddings etc. even large concerts .
I have had nothing but praise for the NW Lighting fixtures.
I highly recommend it if you are tring to save your own or your clients money.
Cheers Jeff

Re: NW Lighting FX Moving Head lights

I personally spoke to Bill (owner of NW Lighting FX) this morning about his units as my group is considering them. He also mentioned Jeff here-- yes Jeff exists and yes he owns these units. And I think everyone can in fact agree that I am not in fact someone from NW Lighting FX :).

Bill and I also had a discussion about the similarities of the units to Martin units and he was able to point out that they are not "clones", but in fact are a competitor (there are differences). Unless someone can provide FACTUAL evidence that these are in fact clones (which I tend to doubt due to the fact Martin would have already sued them if that were the case) I think we should stop calling these ripoffs.

Jeff-- I sent you a PM.

Re: NW Lighting FX Moving Head lights

okay ,
Let me clear up a few things .
I am Jeff Lord-Alge , I own iMix Productions , iMix Productions - # 1 Full Service Audio Visual Event Production Company in Jackson Hole.
My brothers are Chris and Tom . Google me .
I do about 300 shows a year . Stages lights sound .
I have been in the biz for nearly 30 years . I do not work for NW lighting FX.
I own some of their fixtures ( 12 to be exact) and love them . They are one of the reasons my company is doing so many shows in my region . I save my clients a ton of cash on their production budgets and their shows still look great . I am not sure what all the blah blah blah is about. These units are not rip offs . You can;t boot up a martin profile and go with them . I had to write my own . No problem . For the thousands I saved . I prefer 8 PassSpots w Roadcases to 2 Mac 250s any day. I have personaly done about 500 shows in the 4 years I've owned these with no problems to speak of . I probably sent out just as many show with my guys operating them.
Still no problems . Now I admit , I really know what I am doing and so do the guys I employ. None of us needed to read the manual or even looked at it . When simple things like ignitors needed repair I called the owner of NW Lighting directly and he sent me parts and I installed them . Awesome !! No send it to china or I'll order it from china . Just I have that or I;ll get that for you .
These are my real experiences . I saved money . I made my clients happy . The products worked great .
I am now so busy doing shows that I do not have much time to spend chit chatting on bulletin boards . I just had to jump in here and speak the truth about my real world experience with some great fixtures that get a bad rap from folks who have never even tried them .
Rock on NW Lighting FX I love your products and so do my clients.
Cheers Jeff Lord-Alge owner iMix Productions iMix Productions - # 1 Full Service Audio Visual Event Production Company in Jackson Hole

Hey Guys , Just to clarify!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have used the NW Lighting FX PassSpot 250 9ch fixtures and 16 ch 250s for 4 or 5 years now . Well over 500 shows using a Zero 88 Fat frog to control them as well as an Elation Show Designer 2 at times . No problems , bands like , Skid Row , Great White , The Meat Puppets , Blind Boys of Alabama , Robert Randolph , Los Lobos , Freddie Jones Band , all seem to love the way they looked.
My small regional production company ends up looking great too! And my clients are happy because I am saving them money.
So if you are not a brand snob , these babies are the real deal for the money.
Jeff Lord-Alge 30 year production vet

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back