Fixing Multi-cable

Yeah, my soldering skills are a bit rusty, Last time I soldered was on the DMX cable that runs to our scroller power supply. The strain relief failed and the individual wires inside the connector had broken. Struck it, fixed it, and replaced it all while they were doing a runthrough of the show(Not as easy as it sounds, the cable runs out the front of the booth, over the F.O.H. Pipe, then over a catwalk, along a beam, and to the power supply at the other catwalk).

Not following this debate so much sorry. Got my standards and that of the other ME where I work have developed since the Soco standard came out and we are not parting with those until industry standard. Those that don’t tow the line with such standards we have had in effect for years don’t get our business. Those that learn from it educate themselves and are on the panel boards for the standards. Seems in topic a question in many ways on many topics of multi-cable. Yes crimp as long as AF-8 tool with turret head or at least 40w irons in use and proper training in doing so in either case. Way differences in those that do it properly and those that don’t. Expect that ESTA/NEC will be coming out with rules and training on this concept soon if my say goes anywhere in forming the standards.

This includes also the grounding ring standards as in above photo. Good and better than most as presented part but given pins that slightly move about also what attaches them to grounding ring get bent out of shape in conductance and or the concept of transfer or current... many grounding rings fail if not float about the connecter in being dangerous. UL listed gear or not it don’t stand up to actual use. Changes coming in ability or standards within to use 12/14 cable and it working for six circuit multi cable gear.

Given my role in hopefully new standards for doing such gear I cannot be too specific on what is my standard and what role it gets presented in. If wished for I can present my own standard as separate from future code concepts but cannot go otherwise too specific in whats wrong with any number of brands of plug or problems with all of them.

This other than I just went stainless steel for my plugs... worth the extra cost for such insert housings and this is a trend of stainless steel over aluminum parts of the plug. Still there is a balance betewen good connection and that which will become liquid electricity and or free floating grounding ring within the plug. Technology is still out there in end result of what will work and become the new standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back