Followspot recommendation

I put hands on the Ushio Sai-300 followspot at Infocomm. A 230 watt LED unit with very very smooth iris that closed completely. Nicely done mechanicals. 5800K, not sure of the footcandles. Was also impressed with the Megalite FS LED700, a 320 watt LED followspot. Also good mechanically but has motorized iris, color and CTO wheels. Less than $2k, would certainly be easy for kids to operate. Couldn't find much in the way of meaningful specs on it, but looked good at the show.

Ah I missed that. Yes, Source 4wrd on a stick with high color temp would also be a good option.

But in the end, everything will probably be a bit of a disappointment unless you get can afford to spend about $3k.

Yes the Midget HP is just about twice as bright as the S4WRD at roughly triple the cost (and needs a $100 lamp every 1000 hours). Based on what they have and the budget, just looking at options, and 100+ fc at 80 ft isnt bad.

I put hands on the Ushio Sai-300 followspot at Infocomm. A 230 watt LED unit with very very smooth iris that closed completely. Nicely done mechanicals. 5800K, not sure of the footcandles. Was also impressed with the Megalite FS LED700, a 320 watt LED followspot. Also good mechanically but has motorized iris, color and CTO wheels. Less than $2k, would certainly be easy for kids to operate. Couldn't find much in the way of meaningful specs on it, but looked good at the show.

Interesting how many units there are. The Ushio data is not impressive - 53 fc at 75' - though priced nicely around $2000. The megalite just says "comparable to a 700 watt lamp", no data, and pricey in the $5000 neighborhood.

The Megalite is less than $2k:
Screen shot 2018-08-01 at 7.50.55 PM.jpg

There appear to be three Canto Astros - a 200, a 250, and a 500. Do you know which you demoed? The only one with data on their website says 20 fc at75' - which seems not very bright.

It raises the basic question of what is bright enough. I'd like to get at least 200 fc in no color at the average throw - halfway between apron and sky drop but have settled for less, maybe even as low as 100 in some non-professional settings.

There appear to be three Canto Astros - a 200, a 250, and a 500. Do you know which you demoed? The only one with data on their website says 20 fc at75' - which seems not very bright. It raises the basic question of what is bright enough. I'd like to get at least 200 fc in no color at the average throw - halfway between apron and sky drop but have settled for less, maybe even as low as 100 in some non-professional settings.
I agree. If you have a good full lighting rig and you are lighting a big dance number in a musical, you'll bump everything up and that 100 fc is just going to blend in.

And to repeat myself, high color temperature is the second critical piece towards getting the look most people are dreaming of. That said, I love the idea of an LED source with variable color temperature because sometimes you want to back off a little and that would be a great way to do it.

Looking for followspots for a new community theatre about two years ago, I saw the Canto Astro LED at LDI . Seemed very crude mechanically, with a so-so iris that didn't go all the way closed and some sharp edges on the body. Then I ran into the RVE (French company) "ChaseLED" 350 watt LED followspot which was brighter and had superb mechanics and finish. About $6500 vs $5100 for the Canto.
Brought two and certainly do not regret it.

Finally found it:
Fixed color wheel? If that is true, then how would you handle the need for custom color?
I guess in this application it would not matter.
Still, I've seen a number of larger spots that do this and can only imagine a traveling LD's rage at not being able to use the colors he has designed for the show.
Also rules out combo-frames.

@Ford, was the 75ST the LED follow spot you had in your booth at USITT or was it the Ovation 300? I have the feeling it was the Ovation which was spectacular but also around $3k.

I had Ovation send me a demo unit of the 300. I ran through some tests. Full stage lights on and 80 ft throw very bright and pushed through. A lot brighter than the luminator.
End result I purchased the ovation300 and will buy another this fall.

I had Ovation send me a demo unit of the 300. I ran through some tests. Full stage lights on and 80 ft throw very bright and pushed through. A lot brighter than the luminator.
End result I purchased the ovation300 and will buy another this fall.
Yeah I was very impressed with it at USITT. Trade show floors are wildly lit places. When you can punch through all that and put a small, screaming bright, circle of light on the convention hall wall a 100' away, you've got a winning product.

I thought I saw something in this not too far back, but a quick search didn’t get me anywhere...

Our elementary school is looking to purchase followspots. Throw is probably around 70-80 ft.

They were looking at the ChauvetDJ 75ST LED followspot. Although it looks like a nifty fixture for less than $500, lack of sufficient photo-metrics beyond 2m and a 14-20 degree focus lead me to believe this won’t work well in this situation.

Recommendations?

check out the canto Astro

http://www.cantousa.com/followspots/

It worked well under work light at 80 feet.

I haven't noticed anyone else mention this...but this is an elementary school...right? Who's going to operate the F.S? I've worked with young up and hopefully coming tech's and have struggled with their attention span. Be sure to drum in to them the cardinal rul...NEVER...I MEAN NEVER, CUT OFF THE ACTORS HEAD!

Having said that, your observation on the less expensive club F.S. Is correct, they are not very bright. They will work with a dark stage or with all brighter lights off or dim, say a blue stage with F.S. On the lead.

I think before you commit to anything you might check with local PROFESSIONAL lighting shops (not guitar center or the like) and ask if they'd send a lighting guy out to eval your venue and you can talk over what you'd like to accomplish. They'll usually do this for free. The guy can also give you some other ideas to consider and point things out that you probably haven't considered. Then, see if they'll rent a F.S. To you at a discount...if their f.s. Isn't out that day they probably will. Then you can show it off to the school admin's and be more likely to get them on your side. I've created great relationships with several schools this was...I'm the consultant...but still I give them a super deal and I train their crew. Food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back