Gaff vs. Gaffers

Gaff vs Gaffers, what do you call it?

• Gaff Tape

Votes: 57 87.7%
  • Gaffers Tape

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters
Hey guys, can some one pass me the duck tape?

The way I learned this is that when it was invented in ww2 it was "duck" tape because it was waterproof, it came back after the war and got into the hvac world and. Became "duct" tape, and then the company and brand "duck" formed making them both fairly interchangeable. Who knows of that's accurate though, now I'm going to look it up

My take was yet different:

Gaff tape = Special non-stick duct tape.

Gaffer = One who uses Gaff tape.

Gaffer's tape = The Gaff tape that belongs to the Gaffer.

Never though of it in the "Gaffers" type phrasing, always though of it in the possessive. ;)
You forgot:
Gaffers' tape = The Gaff tape that belongs to all the Gaffers.

I've said before: I think the "gaff" term was coined so that people didn't have to worry about where to put the apostrophe.:!:

As for gaffa,
...Perhaps this is a British peculiarity, as I notice many Brits/Aussies also use and say "gaffa" for "gaffer." Possibly similarly, American urban youth seem to think it proper to use "gangsta" instead of "gangster." Or do those have two separate meanings? ...
its use seems to be frowned upon by educated Brits. One wonders why the term persists at all.

One wonders why the term persists at all.

Forums like this. And those who heard it, and haven't bothered to find out if there is a better name.

In a similar vein-
While recently visiting the Polyken tape manufacturing facility in Franklin KY, I had the pleasure of hearing a 72 inch wide roll of gaffer tape being quickly unwound for slitting and re-rolling onto Apollo cores. You know what? It was REALLY LOUD! ;) Imagine 36 gaffers, elbow to elbow, each unwinding a two inch roll of gaffer tape as quickly as possible. Whoa....

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread-

A symphony of stickyness!

Can you imaging that machine malfunctioning?

"911, we have three workers taped to the roof of our manufacturing plant...."

A symphony of stickyness!

Can you imaging that machine malfunctioning?

"911, we have three workers taped to the roof of our manufacturing plant...."

"Taped sir? Yes taped. Will you be needing an ambulance? No, they seem to be enjoying it. However, a fire truck with a ladder..."

Camera tape. So called, ( I was once told by an old timer ) because it was the perfect size to hold closed and mark the contents of 16 mm "newsreel' film cans. As for console tape I far prefer 1" artists tape........

Question to those of you keeping track of this thread-

How many rolls of 2 inch gaffer tape do you purchase with each order?

(Yes I realize it depends upon the needs of the particular show, but on average- how many?)

I usually do orders of 5. That seems to get me through enough time and I can group it with an order of other stuff when I run out.

Ok, now I'm off on a semantics/etymology bent. Where does the term Gaffer come from ? Was it a position on a ship like so many other words in the theater world ?
Does a Gaffer ever use a Gaff ? < a long pole with a hook and spike on the end used for hauling in fish and or capturing errant ropes on a ship>
One might be accused of committing a 'Gaff' on stage if one were to trip and fall, but is that because Gaffers are traditionally clumsy ? or because you have to use a gaff to retrieve bodies after someone falls overboard ? These are the things that keep me awake at night.

Ok, now I'm off on a semantics/etymology bent. Where does the term Gaffer come from ? Was it a position on a ship like so many other words in the theater world ?
Does a Gaffer ever use a Gaff ? < a long pole with a hook and spike on the end used for hauling in fish and or capturing errant ropes on a ship>
One might be accused of committing a 'Gaff' on stage if one were to trip and fall, but is that because Gaffers are traditionally clumsy ? or because you have to use a gaff to retrieve bodies after someone falls overboard ? These are the things that keep me awake at night.

I prefer the other definition - "a means of climbing utility poles" - I believe this makes a bit more sense considering it refers to theatrical work :p.

I prefer the other definition - "a means of climbing utility poles" - I believe this makes a bit more sense considering it refers to theatrical work :p.

On Wikkipedia, I discovered another, rather disturbing, definition: "6.A garment worn to hide the genitals by male transvestites."
Well, I guess that would explain the desire for the tape to be " Non-Stick".

My money would be on this one:

"a long pole with a hook and spike on the end used for hauling in fish and or capturing errant ropes on a ship"

Old terms have a way of being reused. "errant ropes on a ship" becomes "errant cables on a stage." Maybe tape instead of a hook?

"Long pole with a hook" used for hauling actors off the stage ;)

I guess you would use the spike if they were really bad! :cool:

This might actually be the correct answer from:
http://www.media-match.com/usa/jobtypes/gaffer-jobs-402722.php

"A Gaffer in the motion picture industry is the head of the electrical department, responsible for the execution (and sometimes the design) of the lighting plan for a production. In British English the term Gaffer is long established as meaning an old man, or the foreman of a squad of workmen. The term was also used to describe men who adjusted lighting in English theater and men who tended street lamps, after the "gaff" they used, a pole with a hook on its end. "

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back