Gaff vs. Gaffers

Gaff vs Gaffers, what do you call it?

• Gaff Tape

Votes: 57 87.7%
  • Gaffers Tape

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters
On Wikkipedia, I discovered another, rather disturbing, definition: "6.A garment worn to hide the genitals by male transvestites."
Well, I guess that would explain the desire for the tape to be " Non-Stick".

Not to get too off topic. But I would say what I find *most* disturbing is that all of my Transgender (male to female, specifically) friends have to gaff, otherwise the get murdered.

Let's try to be a little more sensitive, shall we?

Got a special?

Good question Michael, when 5 cases or more are ordered by a dealer, Apollo covers the shipping.

I was curious as to the qty normally purchased because we may offer several additional pricing discounts for qtys less than 24 rolls (the normal case size).

I'm interested in the qtys purchased by other gaffer tape buyers out there-

(edit- Wow didn't realize my reply to Michael S. Taylor would land in the midst of a transgender 'tape the junk' discussion. Please forgive me for the intrusion!!! ;) )

Last edited:
In British English the term Gaffer is long established as meaning an old man, or the foreman of a squad of workmen.

Thus the use of Hobbits referring to their fathers as "Gaffers"...

Where does the term Gaffer come from ? Was it a position on a ship like so many other words in the theater world ?
That is close to the lineage I was taught in the 1980's. The first stage riggers were sailors-with their knowledge of knots & all.

Does a Gaffer ever use a Gaff ? < a long pole with a hook and spike on the end used for hauling in fish and or capturing errant ropes on a ship>
I ALWAYS have a Gaff pole, gaffers stick, Stick, whatever your crew wants to call it, on EVERY show. Film & TV lighting trim heights are usually low enough for ease of use, making it quicker to do a simple adjustment than bringing in a ladder crew. Yesterday, I used the pole to snag a cable from the 6 feet below the greenbeds.
I usually will have construction get me a piece of closet rod and attach hardware on the end, If the gaffer or BB doesn't bring one to the show. Current show the gaffer owns a Utility disconnect pole.

Last edited:
On Wikkipedia, I discovered another, rather disturbing, definition: "6.A garment worn to hide the genitals by male transvestites."
Well, I guess that would explain the desire for the tape to be " Non-Stick".

I don't know if I would believe that one.

You have to be careful when looking up things on the net. I've learned the hard way:

1. Trust Wikipedia only up to a point. It's like how you would trust a friend around your significant other.

2. Never go to any url that has anything to do with a "lemon party". There will be no lemons and it will not be a good party at all.

3. The most important thing to remember is NEVER EVER google Shiben's name. Never. Urban dictionary was not kind at all.

icon_eek.gif

Last edited:
How many rolls of 2 inch gaffer tape do you purchase with each order?

Strangely enough, I only end up going through 4 to 6 rolls per year. Due largely to the amount of rolling scenery we have, and that a typical show has 35 to 40 set changes, outside of the orchestra pit I have no cables taped to the floor.

I usually get two rolls at a time.

Find your question too limited. Is it a chair or chairs? What in a situation do you say the short hand in often found to be pluro verses what could be either to be?

Around here, I almost exclusively here "gaff tape" or simply "gaff." Come to think of it, i'm not sure of any time outside of a tour that I have heard it called anything else in the few theatres I have worked in in the area.

I buy two to three rolls at a time whenever I order something else. To date I've never placed an order just for gaff tape.

I just did the touring company of Momma Mia. We had to cover my StageRight decks with a double layer of plywood. We do the first layer with 2 and 3 inch gaff, then screw the second layer to that. After the first of the year I will do a rodeo one weekend and a monster truck show the next. I have to cover all the folded lower risers with plastic sheeting. All that is gaffed with three inch gaff. I use a fair amount of gaff in a year's time. I usually use a case of each between these projects, plus what I normally use on other shows.

Just because you know how to use Gaff, that doesn't alone doesn't make you a Gaffer.
For me "Re: Gaff vs. Gaffers" reminds me of when I was on my first show in Hollywood. I had been working steels & lighting on concerts and learned on the road of Gaff(ers tape), but never heard the term Gaffer. I used 5 rolls of gaff a night laying the marley and bordering the edges of stage & stairs, plus. I knew nothing of crew positions & duties in film. On my first day on a film then, I was early & chatting with a guy. I asked him what he did, and he replied, "I'm the Gaffer." Thinking of all the 'gaff' I used in the last year, I thought to my self, "Hmm, I must be a gaffer too."
Um, no. Ha Ha.

...The most important thing to remember is NEVER EVER google Shiben's name. Never. Urban dictionary was not kind at all.

View attachment 5993

What were you googling my name for? And thank you for that... I need to quick edit some urban dictionary for brand management reasons now. Its like A certain presidential candidate and his Google issues...

What were you googling my name for? And thank you for that... I need to quick edit some urban dictionary for brand management reasons now. Its like A certain presidential candidate and his Google issues...

Just Google yourself to make sure nothing strange shows up. My name yields nothing but social networking sites of people sharing my name but adding "theatre" has most of the first couple resulting pertaining to me.

Just Google yourself to make sure nothing strange shows up. My name yields nothing but social networking sites of people sharing my name but adding "theatre" has most of the first couple resulting pertaining to me.

Right but a clever observer will note that Dr.Pinto there was the one googling me... The Urban Dictionary thing is new... Not sure where that came from to be honest...

Right but a clever observer will note that Dr.Pinto there was the one googling me... The Urban Dictionary thing is new... Not sure where that came from to be honest...

Actually I googled your name because I was curious if "shiben" was some kind of theater term I had never heard before, like "I'll be busking the show and aiming the shiben".

The urban dictionary entry was several years old. I figured it was either just a coincidence or someone busting your stones a few years back. Either way, I thought you must have known about it by now. No offense intended.

It's always a good idea to google your name occasionally. You never know.

Last edited:
Actually I googled your name because I was curious if "shiben" was some kind of theater term I had never heard before, like "I'll be busking the show and aiming the shiben".

The urban dictionary entry was several years old. I figured it was either just a coincidence or someone busting your stones a few years back. Either way, I thought you must have known about it by now. No offense intended.

It's always a good idea to google your name occasionally. You never know.

Of course not. My handle on here is just a nickname, due to my first initial being S and the last name being Hiben, thus Shiben. Been that way since Jr. High and never could shake it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back