Gaff vs. Gaffers

Gaff vs Gaffers, what do you call it?

• Gaff Tape

Votes: 57 87.7%
  • Gaffers Tape

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters

techno89

Sorry to kind of make a thread about a rant but I have a little arguement going with my friend that most professionals call gaffers tape gaff tape. It doesnt even sound right for me to say gaffers. Whats your opinion stage pros?

EDIT: I mean when specifically referring to the tape for this poll.

Thanks!

Last edited:
"Would you hand me that gaffers tape?"
"Will you help me gaff this back together after the actor broke it?"
"Don't forget to buy more gaff tape, we're almost out...again."
"Please don't ever call that Gaffa again."

That's how I use it. I don't think there is a right or wrong.

Last edited:
Right I don't really think theres a right or wrong way, just sounds wrong when I say the whole word haha. And I mean when specifically referring to the tape for this poll btw.

Both. Both are correct.

Now lets get back to pointlessly arguing over more important things, such as 120 vs 220, or Metric vs Imperial.

Last edited:
Both. Both are correct.

Now lets get back to pointlessly arguing over more important things, such as 120 vs 220, or Metric vs Imperial.

I agree, neither is right or wrong. For me it would depend on the context.

What about edison vs stage pin vs twist-lock? That one's pretty important. ;)

I too would agree with both, and like Chase use them interchangeably at different times. When I'm using it as a verb, I say gaff down that cable (they know what tape I want them to use) but still will often call it gaffer's tape.

I didn't vote, because I agree that both are correct, and are interchangeable

I swear we had a poll on this about 5 years ago, but I can't find it. Maybe it was just a debate that erupted in another thread. :confused:

Anyway, I believe this is a combination of a regional slang issue and what they are teaching at your local universities. Here in Seattle it's Gaff or Gaffers. In other parts of the country Gaffa is correct. Either way, it's nothing to get worked up about.

The crew I'm with uses Gaffers to call out the tape, gaff as a verb.

In Hollywood's expendables world, the same tape is called different names:
2" is Gaffers tape.
1" is Camera tape.
Does that hold true around the country, world?

I always thought Camera tape was a bit different... Anyway, Interchangeable, However ! When spelled, it's Gaffers Tape or Gaff Tape. NOT 'Gaffa' Tape. " what the hell is a Gaffa?"

Last edited:
We call it gaff tape but gaffers is ok because that is really what it is called. I don't work in the movie world so I can't address the 1" gaff tape question. That brings up the question of what does the movie world call 3" tape?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back