Gel Gone Clear..

jmac

Used new R60 gel tonite in Par 64's with 500W NSP lamps. Ran one rehearsal with lights used at probably 50% max. At the end of night, they all looked like clear Saran Wrap. No trace of blue. Is this bad gel, or is there an issue using gel with NSP lamps?? Seems I have done this before w/o a problem.. Thanks.

How saturated of a blue is that (off the top of my head I'm thinking it's pale... but can't remember)? If this is like a congo there's definitely something amis. I'd think it would fade in parts more than others ect, not just all turn clear. You sure someone didn't swap gels on you ;-)?

R 60 is no color blue... the palest blue in the book. It seems odd that a gel with that low of saturation would go that fast. I rarely use PAR cans so I'm not one to speak from experience on the problem. Did this only happen on one fixture or all of them?

It sounds like a problem with the gel. I used VNSP PARs all the time with much more saturated colors (R91, R80, etc) in an arena, running them at full for entire shows. Those needed to be replaced, after running at full for several hours, but R60 should be one of those gels that you re-use for several shows.

Yes, it is Rosco R60, No Color Blue, rather pale. Had it on three Par Cans. All three went bad. Gels were not swapped. I'm the only one who had access to the lights, and I was there all night. You can still see the blue on the excess at the corners of the octagon color frame (gel was cut square). But everything within the inner color frame circle is now clear..

Someone at Rosco would really like these back. Clearly a manufacturing problem. I would get the whole batch and send them to my distributor or call Rosco directly.

Tim.

P.S. I use NC blue with more powerful lamps than that without issue

I've recently been running a show that's been cooking R60 in PAR's... funny you bring it up.

PAR64 MFL's... It's not cooking in a night mind... Maybe one gel swap a week for a light that's on two hours a day...

Lotos, 14 hours under a 1k lamp is probably sufficient to cook any gel. I was under the impression that an average gel's expected life was about 8 hours under a lamp at full. give a few more for less saturated colors, and a few less for more saturated ones. Dont remember where I heard that one though... In any case and as stated above, send it all back to Rosco, including the full sheets you bought at the same time. if nothing else, they will probably replace it as defective.

Lotos, 14 hours under a 1k lamp is probably sufficient to cook any gel. I was under the impression that an average gel's expected life was about 8 hours under a lamp at full. give a few more for less saturated colors, and a few less for more saturated ones. Dont remember where I heard that one though... In any case and as stated above, send it all back to Rosco, including the full sheets you bought at the same time. if nothing else, they will probably replace it as defective.

If you only get 8 hours of use out of your color then I must be doing something right. Eight Hours for any gel would mean that I would have to change out an entire show's color every week. That just doesn't happen. I have some color that gets used over and over again.

Life of color is dependent on: Color, saturation, fixture type, bench focus, airflow, intensity and duration. Many factors, probably more than I list. Consider that in theory a red or amber gel should last longer than a blue. Gel should last longer in a unit benched with a flat even field rather than a peak-y field. In theory, a VNSP PAR should kill your color faster than a WFL because light/heat is more focused when it hits the gel.

Due to all that, I don't think that you can generalize how long a gel will last.

shiben;154868 I was under the impression that an average [autolink said:
gel[/autolink]'s expected life was about 8 hours under a lamp at full.

Sounds like a rule from a rental house trying to sell a lot of gel.

Nicholas Kargel
You Want What? Productions INC
scenic and lighting design and construction in Denver, CO

www.youwantwhatproductions.com

Actually that was off of one of the LDs I worked for, was just talking with him today. One disclaimer, he does work a lot on film sets, so it might be different using 5+k fresnels and whatnot. I have gotten a lot more than this, and also a lot less. For that same show, I was pulling R385 every night off of 12 1k fresnels due to holes. However, I used a down wash on the same fixtures with R60, and it lasted all summer with minimal change.

Our shows here at the college get 4 rehearsals with lights plus 7 performances. I use a lot of low saturation gels like 02, 33, 51, and 60. I probably average three shows out of my gel depending on the fixture.

If it's in a S4 Zoom, then 8 hours is about all you are going to get out of even a low saturation gel. If it's in a Selecon zoom it'll last for years. If it's in a standard ETC ellipsoidal it depends on the lens tube tube size and how the lamp is focused. In short there is no simple rule of thumb that works.

For that same show, I was pulling R385 every night off of 12 1k fresnels due to holes. However, I used a down wash on the same fixtures with R60, and it lasted all summer with minimal change.

You were pulling it down due to holes?! Perhaps I'm mistaken here, but something sounds wrong there... I understand the gels burning out quickly, especially R385, but they're actually melting?

Oh yeah. Part of it was that the lights were on for 2 hours straight... But yeah, I was not pleased. 1st gig i worked as ME for this venue, and was on a ladder every night

You were pulling it down due to holes?! Perhaps I'm mistaken here, but something sounds wrong there... I understand the gels burning out quickly, especially R385, but they're actually melting?

Sometimes gels go bonanza. It happens. There are some colors that I know when you put them in a 36˚ or a 6x9 they are toast within seconds of taking the fixture to full. There are colors for which color extenders and heat-shield is a must!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back