good pre-made dmx cable

Please disregard if this is not the case, I'm NOT saying you would:
Just remember that if a cable is out of spec. for the DMX512A standard, it may work wonderfully without any noticeable disturbance of the signal... Until one day... when it just won't work 'properly' anymore. With all the other usual suspects potential for causing a corrupted data signal- bad fixtures, connectors, 'proper' cable going bad, lack of termination, to name a few- I wouldn't want to find out that the reason for the failure was something preventable. Like using the wrong cable!
Granted everyone can have a different perspective and different levels of acceptability for failure, but in my gigs, it would be unacceptable to use mic cable or any other cable not matching up to the spec standards.
I hope that helps.

The second twisted pair does absolutely nothing for data transmission. If the standard is okay to use 5 wire dual twisted pair and omit a pair.. that is the same as using 3 wire cable with a twisted pair of the same spec wire. Or at least that is my believe from the several talks about ETC's standards :)

The second twisted pair does absolutely nothing for data transmission. If the standard is okay to use 5 wire dual twisted pair and omit a pair.. that is the same as using 3 wire cable with a twisted pair of the same spec wire. Or at least that is my believe from the several talks about ETC's standards :)

What Gern is talking about is not the number of pins, but the quality of the wiring. The average analog microphone cable has an impedance of roughly 40-50 Ohms and has a capacitance of 30-120 pF/ft.

Per spec, DMX cable is ideally 120 Ohm characteristic impedance data-grade cable with a capacitance of 12.8pF/ft. The number of pins is irrelevant.

There are more technical details to a cable than that the wires are made out of copper and the number of wires a given cable has. The average microphone cable is non-ideal for DMX because it it is of the wrong characteristic impedance and capacitance.

That said -- DMX tends to be very forgiving. As noted in Doug Fleenor's video, you can run DMX over three strands of barbed wire (it's actually been done), and it'll work really well until it doesn't work at all. When it stops working, first you'll blame your lighting console, then you'll blame your fixtures, and then you'll spend a few hours swapping around your cables to find "the bad one", but if they're all audio-quality cable, they'll all be bad and corruptive to your DMX signal quality, and cause your fixtures to be subject to spontaneous and erratic behavior.

Audio-quality cable can work fine for DMX for an extended amount of time, and then the slighest variable changes and no matter how you order your cables in the daisy chain, your signal gets corrupted. Could be a walkie-talkie that sets it off, or could be one too many fixtures are on the chain. Whatever the problem, you'll lose more than a couple hours trying to chase it down.

Thus we do things like limit the number of fixtures in a chain, use data-quality cable, and use 120 Ohm terminators, and never split a signal via a wye-splitter. You can probably get away with all of those kinds of sins, but you're living on the edge of never knowing when your signal may suddenly cause all of your devices to take on a mind of their own mid-performance.

Belden has a good document for selecting the appropriate cables for DMX, and here are some technical data sheets so you can compare the kinds of details that are at play from one type of cabling to another:
DMX Single-Pair
DMX Dual-Pair
One Kind of Microphone Cable
Another Kind of Microphone Cable

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back