Hardware needed to hang lights

johnnynyc

Hello all. I just started a residency at a bar and now I have been tasked to hang lights. The drop ceiling are about 10 feet but the roof goes to about 13 feet so the owner doesn't want to use the truss but wants to just use a 2 inch pipe and hang it from the pipe. So I'm looking for the hardware needed to do it. I would image that beam clamps, threaded rods and 2 inch metal pipe but am not sure so I ask the experts. It will span about 20 feet horizontally and have about 10-12 moving heads. I would light for it to support about 1500lbs. I have seen this method used in many clubs but don't know how it was done.

Oh my. 12 moving lights on a twenty foot clear span on a 2" pipe? That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Please don't. If you bring in a professional (And you should, you don't want the liability when this fails), they should tell you the same thing.

With schedule 40 you're looking at something like 5lbs a foot UDL, I'm sure if you used solid rod you might get away with it, but good luck finding and affording that.

Last edited:
To be clear, it's not the number of fixtures that is the concern, so much as the weight. But yeah, don't go anywhere near this. Find someone with rigging experience that knows what they are doing.

I concur with the above replies. Do not do this yourself, as it is not a simple DIY project. Hire a contractor/rigger and let them install it.

I agree with you all I will talked to my boss to get a professional rigger and he agreed to do so. For my own knowledge sake can we discuss the different methods.

I agree with you all I will talked to my boss to get a professional rigger and he agreed to do so. For my own knowledge sake can we discuss the different methods.
Like all good questions, the answer is "it depends". 1500lbs is a lot of weight, and will require attachment to the building structure. How depends on what's in the ceiling. Note that with moving lights, it's not just having a pipe strong enough they won't fall and kill someone, but it needs to be rigid enough so it won't swing with the rotational moment of the moving lights. A dead hang on threaded rod from unistrut isn't going to cut it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back