Hazer Options

snyder68

Hey, we are a multi campus church that streams video to all our other campuses live. So right now we have a DF-50, which I am completely happy with. However as a lighting guy I like large amounts of haze. Our video guys don't because it "makes the video look bad". So my question is do you guys have an idea on if there is a hazer or better option out there that does not necessarily show up much on camera but in person still catches the light just as well as the oil base of the DF-50 or even better? I wasn't sure if like CO2 would work better or not so I figured I would throw that out there.

Co2, isn't really a haze method.
That being said, the MDG Atmosphere is a great hazer, and it uses CO2 as a propellant. The CO2 pressurizes the tank, and pushes the fluid through the heating element.
The MDG is very quiet, and doesn't use much fluid.
The particle size on the MDG is much much smaller than a DF50. This allows it to be much cleaner overall, and allows the hazer to run less for the same result.
If you are careful, I find that a lower overall level of haze is easier to maintain on a MDG, mostly due to the control that the Co2 regulator allows. (Turn regulator up, more haze, down, less haze.)
The new version even allows you to use DMX to control the pressure of the regulator.
That being said it is still a Oil based hazer. So it still has the stigma that oil carries.

Your best bet is to rent a few different types of hazers and try them from week to week.

Here is a list, and the order I would try them in.
Mdg Atmosphere
Look unique 2
CITC Aqua Max
Martin Jem K1 Hazer
Ultratec Radiance

Note: Water based haze is a misnomer. There is no such thing as "water based haze" In reality, it is Glycol based haze. And water is just the carrier for the glycol.
Most studies show that Oil based haze is as safe if not safer than water based haze, as the glycol tends to have a drying effect when it is breathed.
But there are some people that strongly feel that oil based haze is bad, usually due to the mess that a DF50 tends to make.

I have tons of experience with the MDG, Look, and DF50, if you have any specific questions about the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back