Headset attenuation circuit

tomed101

This should be blindingly obvious to me, but alas my mind has once again filed me...

Problem: I have a CC95 headset (single muff dynamic headset from Clear Com) which I find invariably, very very loud in the headset, but the mic level is somewhat normal. The problem is when I have the volume at a level which is comfortable for me to listen to, the mic level is far too low, and to get the mic level up, the headset is far too loud.

Since this is not isloated to one beltpack, I was thinking I should be able to put a resistor inline with the headphone inside the XLR connector to drop the level down, but for the life of me I cannot remember even what range I am working with... Any ideas of resistor ratings you can think of would be great.

Thanks

So the basic arrangement of a beltpack goes something like this:
mic - preamp - party line connection -amp (w/ vol control) - ears.
Meaning that your sidetone should be at the same level as everyone else on the line.
Have there been any issues with the other people on the line hearing your mic?

The ear has an impedance of 420R according to CC, but I'm not convinced that attenuation is the right fix for the issue...

Last edited by a moderator:
They can hear me fine when I have it turned up (too loud for me) but they complain that I am very quiet when it is fine in my earpiece.

This has been an issue with Telex Wireless (TR-800), Jands Ezicom and Clear Com RS-601 packs. On all of those packs, the level of the mic is proportional to the level of the earpiece, and the mic is as close to my mouth as is practical. I have swapped it out with a Beyer headset and there is no issue with that.

Tom and I troubleshooted offline this evening and it looks like the supplier will be getting a call...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back