Hearing-Impaired Crew Chief

Here's something that just may be what you're looking for. I can't vouch for the supplier as I've never used them, but I have used an older version of these headsets. You're probably going to have to attach your own connector if you go with these.

I moved this over to the Sound Forum where I hope that you will get more advice on this matter.

perhaps you could describe the device.
is it small and hidden within the ear canal
or slightly larger about the size and shape of custom in ear monitors
or the even larger type that hangs behind the ear with a clear tube to the ear canal

proxy.php

If it is just an ear bud you need why not add a 1/8" trs connector pigtailed into the headsets xlr plug.(soldered the speaker pins) that way you could use normal ear buds.

I normally just take my "ears" out when i need to wear a headset. the switchable telephone/induction mode works, but is a bit buzzy. My biggest fear is losing the things as each one is 2 grand.

Last edited:
You might consider something like a Sennheiser EZT 1011 induction neck loop wired into the comms system. Then the lady in question can switch to T on their hearing aid (if so equipped) and I hope that their aid provides the best coupling for their ears as opposed to a stock product.

The problem will be there is still a need for some form of mic to talk back. So my thought would be a short extension lead for the headset that connects the mic straight through and disconnects the headset's ears and diverts them out to a 3.5mm for either the neck loop mentioned or stock earbuds.

In this day and age there is no reason for a hearing impaired person not to be able to find a solution to their comms problem. Note that you may in fact be required to provide an option under disability discrimination legislation - is it the ADA in the states?

Have you talked to the hearing impaired person for suggestions? or are they asking for suggestions? The combination of hearing aid and headphones can be a feedback nightmare in some cases. a hearing aid that supports induction loop might very well be one safe way to go OR some folks that are hearing impaired seem to think that simply having a good full cover headphone with controllable volume works for them

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7595_102-0.html?threadID=277558

Sharyn

You might want to really check and see if this is going to work. From a search on the net, this is typically not the recommended solution. Full over the ears is

I am GUESSING the reason is that there will be interference with the hearing aid and if it is removed then the hearing impaired person will ONLY be able to hear via the bud.

Just a thought to consider

Sharyn

I am GUESSING the reason is that there will be interference with the hearing aid and if it is removed then the hearing impaired person will ONLY be able to hear via the bud.

Just a thought to consider

Sharyn

That's an issue with ear bud style headsets even among us non hearing impaired. I've used this style of headset before and I absolutely hate them, mainly because the ear bud sits in the ear canal so that all you can hear out of that ear is the headset. I prefer something that allows at least a little ambient noise in. Also, if your ears are tight up against your head as mine are, wearing one of these headsets can be painful since the body of the headset sits behind the ear and will push the ear out away from your head. This does not mean, however, that other people will have the same issues. I've known other people who have used these headsets and absolutely love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back