Hello Everybody...Question?!?

Hello my Name is Trae and I am currently enrolled at NJC in Colorado (in the middle of nowhere!) and I am starting to design our spring play - Midsummer Night's Dream and I keep hearing to just use a robotic light with changeable gobos in it and I would absolutely LOVE to do that as well...but since I am in the eastern plains of colorado and at a junior college with no support of our asbestos filled theater or the arts, we have no money at all. I am currently working on the same light board that was donated to us with the theatre in 1968. Its a crappy HUB system with half of the outlets exploded and no wireless light board and probably 8 gobos, 2 colortrans, 10 ellipsoidals, and 20 source 4's. So any ideas that won't cost over (unfortunately) $500 for still somewhat good lighting for my show? BTW How does one come up with a copy of Softplot 1-9 without any money? (just asking)

P.S. If you are honestly thinking about getting rid of maybe an "old" light, light board, gobos, anything that still works even if you think it's old, please contact me because my theatre needs all the help it can get.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Trae Hartman

Well, I will start by answering your question about SoftPlot. Not sure about SoftPlot itself, but as you are a student, you can get Vectorworks for free (on a one year renewable license as long as you are a student). There is a form you have to fill out on their website, but it is totally worth it.

As for your design, I think that you need to come up with a concept first and then figure out how to best utilize the money you have. Once you have a design concept in place it will be easier to give you advice.

I second getting the student copy of VW. You can make some really pro plots with that bit of software and its really not that complicated if you sort of understand CADD. As for the design bit, like icewolf08 said, come up with a concept. It might seem like kind of a weak inventory, but I went to 2 shows last weekend that were lit with tiny inventories. One had 2 PARs, 4 ERS (360Qs, if I saw them right), 7 Fresnels, and 7 construction style flood lights. Not saying you have to do it like that, but it can be done on shoestring budgets and lower level equipment inventories, and it can be very effective (this show had some of the best staging/lighting effects I have ever seen). All of this run on a 24 channel board from Elation. Oh, and there were 4 pieces of gel in the entire show. All that to say, the critical thing for you will be to instead of trying to create cool and flashy effects, create clever effects that utilize your inventory to its best advantage, and the resources you have. I personally feel that these are the best shows, with solid looks that tell the story, even if they dont look "cool" (if you do it right, your audience will think your a genius for making it look so cool anyhow). Good luck!

Edit: Skip the ML (robotic light). One wont be nearly enough anyhow if you dont use anything else (although im sure it can be done and might even be really cool, but its expensive and complicated). Did I mention they are expensive? Additionally, you get more flexibility with non-moving lights (in this circumstance, obviously when you have 1000 of them its a bit more flexible to use MLs). Oh, and they cost a bunch of money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back