Control/Dimming Help with Dimmers

hmhyde

Having pseudo-inherited responsibility for our blackbox at school, and being 0.5 of a barely passable tech, I have no idea what to do for dimmer maintenance. They are at least 10 years old and there are no apparent records for these things. Help!

LOTO and clean is about the only maintenance you can/should do. This may include vacuuming out dust and cleaning the filter(s) if applicable. If the modules are removable, they should be cleaned too.

LOTO (Lock-Out/Tag-Out): Kill the power to the racks completely! Just turning the board off does not do this. If you are unsure of how to de-energize the racks, consult building maintenance.

Below are some search results on dimmer cleaning (note that some threads may not discuss proper LOTO procedures. I suggest reading up on that very well).

Cleaning Dimmers

Last edited:
hmhyde, if you tell us the make/model, we can direct you to the specific manufacturer's instructions regarding maintenance. If you don't know the make and model, post a picture and I'm sure we can identify same. As Les said, the most important step is proper LOTO procedure, prior to performing ANY maintenance.

-----

... and being 0.5 of a barely passable tech, ...
Stick around here long enough and I promise we can get you up at to at least a 0.6, maybe even a 0.7! ;)

Last edited:
Duplex outlets are cheap and are a fine receptacle for 1.2Kw modules, also gives you the option of multiple loads off of one channel without additional cabling like a twofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back