HELP!!!

maybe you should look at getting a bigger hard drive? they run the same hard drives as windows pcs and u can generally come across them pretty cheap and chuck it in yourself.

is it solid state? i have an old harddrive at home i could out in it but its ide. let me know if its not.

sorry, it would be quite a drive (almost 1000 miles, although, I am sure someone else on this site has me beat by alot of miles!) and even if I made it, i serously doubt I could fix it. :-(

You may want to spend abit of time on Google doing alittle bit of research on the basics of DOS, and see if you can figure anything out.

At this point, I really hope Strand contacts you!

PS: you should be able to fairly easily download a set of DOS disks to run off of after a format (a windows 98 or 2000 recovery floopy might even work), but DMXtools has a very good point! (I am too used to haveing a CD drive to boot off of with a recovery CD!)

i noticed today when it was booting all i saw was ram no hard disk.

Hey, wow, sorry about that last post, for some reason I want able to see the second page of posts when I wrote it!

CONGRATS!!! I figured that the dir command would help you figure out where to start at least.

I really dont know how hard it is to pull out the harddrive, but if you pull it out and bring it into an older computer repair shop (not a place like best buy where they dont handle computers more then 6 months old) and they should be able to tell you what kind of harddrive would be the larger equivelent. The next question would be what format the hard drive would have to be in. I could ramble on about hard drive formats, but I wont bother unless you decide to go the new hard drive route, let me know if you do!

i guess there is no harddrive in the strand 300. its only ram. the software makes it seem as there is one.

ram has NO ability to store any information when power is lost. it mearly provides the processor with the information to be digested.

rom is the only memory device(apart from a hard disk) that can store memory when power is lost. This however would not store data and would only be used for startup procedures etc... Unless of couse Strand being as they are have flashed them to suit them for hard disk use - very dangerous

Maybe I am mistaken, but there are more and more data storage devices arround today that keep thier memory without power being supplied then there has been. Just think, my palm pilot doesnt have a hard drive (it remembers stuff even if you take out all the batteries), neather does my digital camera and I can take the memory card right out without it loosing its info, and USB thumb drive is the same deal.

I think all of these I have mentioned depend on some type of "Flash" memory, not RAM. Again, somone can correct me, but a Flash drive can be quite similar to a harddrive. I think I read somewhere that new laptops are starting to have the option to boot from a USB Thumb drive or USB harddrive, just like you would be able to boot from a floppy or CD drive after a crash.

Anyway, all this stuff is really quite interesting and part of the reason I might be heading off to college next year to get a degree in electrical or computer engineering! :) (I have been scaning the forums here for any word on colleges that also have good tech departments)

my understanding is that it is ROM being used for preserving data when powered down

Ya, I agree that ROM does that, I guess I'll have to wait a few years to get to a course that will teach me the very specifics of this stuff to realy get detailed. Or maybe my High School's Digital Electronics course that I am taking next term will have some answers!

Sounds like you have gotten the hang of dos, and the strand 300 series set up. Did you get the board reinstalled or fixed. If not send me an IM via AIM.

nrodnp856

I'm in platteville so it's about an 1.5hr to 2hr drive. If i can't make it to help i have a guy in Milwuakee that can give you a hand. We both know the strand 300 series very well and should be able to help you.

i have a copy of ms-dos 7.1. im running xp on my master harddrive and have nothing on the slave one. how can i install dos on the slave on and have a choice when i turn the comp on to boot dos or xp.

I am not really sure about the steps to install it, but I know there is software to allow you to easly choose what OS to boot from if you have more then one installed. Since you are running two hardrives, you *should* be able to hit one of the F# keys during boot (before the OS even starts to load) and you should get an option screen asking which drive you would like to boot from. (a different F# key will most likey get you to a BIOS configuration, you dont realy want that screen though) If you select your secondary harddrive after you have installed DOS it should boot DOS from that drive.

Ok, ya so that probably didnt make any sense, but if you need more help, I'll try to look some stuff up for you and write something clearer.

In the mean time, I would guess that you would be able to find a good deal of info about this kinda stuff on the internet if you do a Google search for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back