Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

Re: Hey i thought we could share pic of our shows

You were the lighting tech for that show? The designer is actually a grad of the school I am going to right now (Webster)

Is that Drew? He's a good guy. I'm doing 2 more shows with them in December, in Virginia and WV.

Is that Drew? He's a good guy. I'm doing 2 more shows with them in December, in Virginia and WV.
no, im thinking of a guy named seth jackson, must not have done that show then, I know he did the design for her touring as an opener for someone.

That name doesn't sound familiar. He may have been there and I just didn't meet him. I'll ask around next time I talk with them.

Shots from Tryon Little Theater's production of "Anything Goes" from second Saturday (November 18th)

No movers, no scrollers, Stayed under budget by using house inventory... and only 6 gobos... (I thought less is more)

Used 95 dimmers (13 for practicals) 117 fixtures with ETC express in single scene mode... 219 light cues total for show including curtain warmers and on stage work light (dim R56 glow.. I like my backlight saturated) Designed with Maclux Pro software

Pics are of musical number "Anything Goes" end of Act 1... 15 lighting changes during song...

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 330
  • first light trans.jpg
    first light trans.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 302
  • first dance trans.jpg
    first dance trans.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 292
  • solo break.jpg
    solo break.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 307
  • second dance break.jpg
    second dance break.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 259
  • chorus break.jpg
    chorus break.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 270
  • third solo break.jpg
    third solo break.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 268
  • resolution.jpg
    resolution.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

So I found some videos from a dance recital I did at the end of the summer that I guess were bootlegged by audience members and put on youtube:
youtube video 1
video 2

Wow I have been impressed and inspired by some of the things I am seeing here.

I would love descriptions of how these effects have been achieved.

Please keep them coming!

Duluth East High School's Association Talent Show, one of the acts asked for insane fog. I was in the booth controlling the hazer and I put it on full for few minutes before the act went on. When the curtain opened, it was just solid. We were laughing our rears off in the booth, and the adviser ran in and said to turn off the fog, which I had already done the instant I saw how much haze there was. This turned out to be the best act, and the band and the audience loved all the haze and were very pleased. Personally I think I went a bit overboard, considering you couldn't even see the drummer at some points, but he was the most pleased out of everyone so it's all good! Our hazer is a LeMaitre Radiance. This theater has 36 dimmers, 2 for house lights. I had 7 Mini Zooms, and a good supply of fresnels. Control is an ETC Express 24/48. I had 2 days to prepare. I set up a few effects subs before the show, and dropped in a few simple gels. I had everything pretty much set from the last play so I didn't have to do much. Most of the time the people backstage were complaining about how the hazer was on for acts that didn't specifically ask for them, and the first night they went so far as to turn it off at the power. For the second night I wanted to be able to have control over the haze because it really looked a lot better with it. So I hung the hazer in the rafters and ran DMX to the booth. I'm pretty pleased with the results, though I wish I would have used more haze throughout, except for less for the last act.

Attachments

• TallentShow1.jpg
    TallentShow1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 297
  • TallentShow3.jpg
    TallentShow3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:

ah haze, something I have always had issues with (see my pics for evidence of such) its always hard to try to maintain a decent level of haze in the air and more importantly have it even across the space.

My secret is a 30cm box fan (with rotating louvre) that I put beside the hazer on the ground, then point the flow of the fan against the flow of the haze.

For our most recent musical I was able to put the hazer in front of the stage, pointed along the front of the stage, with a box fan beside it pointing up onto the stage. The result was amazingly good distribution of the haze right where we wanted it!

I have found that putting the fan behind the hazer pointing the flow of the fan directly behind the flow of the hazer can eventually distribute it right around our whole venue!

wait so let me get this strait, in ascii art, you do this(arrow=direction of output):

[<-Fan][hazer->]

or is it a

[hazer->][<-fan]

Neither...

Stage
_______________________________________^
[Hazer->] ^ Overall flow /
[__Fan___/ ] /

Last edited:

Now I'm lost.

I know, the forum software stops it from keeping spacing so I had to edit it, and now it's confusing! Go figure.

Umm...you place the fan BESIDE the smoke machine (not in front, not behind) and turn the louvre so that the air is flowing AGAINST the flow of smoke, pushing it in the direction of your choice.

oh ok, that makes more sense, so are you putting the thing in like your catwalk or on stage and isn't noise an issue in either spot?

For our last musical we extended our stage in two areas, we had a catwalk extending into the audience from the front of the stage and we had a sidestage on stage left in front of the wing.

The hazer was in front of the main stage between the catwalk and the sidestage, on a school-issue desk with my personal box fan beside it, which I had brought in recognising that there were going to be distribution issues.

It was really effective, we just used it to add a bit of a smoky atmosphere during fashion show aspects of our musical.

I wanted to use it heavily during several dances, but we were told not to, not to and to turn the bloody thing off! not to because one of our senior dancers was apparently going to have an allergic reaction from it.

Which brings me to a question: can water-based haze cause allergy/health issues?

With only a short time to be creative with the worst possible lighting I've ever had, here's what I came up with.

It does the job, looks reasonably pretty, and above all lets the performers be seen! Thats the most important thing. I say good work!

I had the interesting experience of designing a play that was in Spanish (I don't speak spanish except what I've learned in class - it was a school show that Spanish students produced). "Muerte en el Barrio" is the name, and it was pretty neat. The photos are below. As you'll notice, we actually had supertitles projected over the stage.

The set was sort of lame just because of the lack of organization of the scene design person (a student) so it was sortof thrown together. Anyhow, this is what I came up with for that particular show - it's not too dramatic. The beauty was subtle in this one, and the pics show a little of that. It was deff an audience experience sorta thing.

The cool thing is, after we did the show in our Mainstage venue for two days (yeah...short run) we open back up in a month in a BlackBox space with a new set, new lights, new everything except for the same show. It's challenging, but I think this is where the show was meant to be performed in the first place.

Also, the first picture of the preshow look has the logo onstage. We projected the logo onto our scrim and blacked out the cyc behind it with a traveler and it looked phenomenal. Yes, a simple trick but it was just the thing it needed. It looked like a solid curtain with our logo, until it magically faded away. (We had the projector in FOH used as a supertitle projector (as shown) and we were just playing around) Just one of those things that adds the perfect little touch. Just a note though, the light cue for that scene was a hair darker but the exposure had to be a bit longer just to capture the projection on the camera but it was perfectly clear for the audience.

Click Here for Photos

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back